PDA

View Full Version : How do allied planes monitor ammo?

giddygoat1972
01-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Is there anyway you can monitor how much ammo you have left in a Spit? I can't seem to find any indication of an ammo counter similar to the later model MEs and FWs.

I guess you know you're empty...when you're empty?

Also, is there any way of setting up the rear view mirror in the Spits/Hurricanes?

Thanks

FritzGryphon
01-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Make a note of how much ammo you have, and how many seconds of shooting that equates to. Keep track of how long you fire each burst.

If you play the same plane a lot, it will become second nature.

I think ctrl-M is the default key to enable the mirror. If that doesn't work, the plane doesn't have a mirror in the game.

PBNA-Boosher
01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Actually, the mirror key has to be set. It's in the controls menu.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8237/booshersig2ry6.jpg

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you..."
-Gandalf

Tater-SW-
01-04-2007, 09:07 AM
In RL, they started off by putting a bunch of extra tracer rounds in near the end of a belt of ammo. The problem was that the enemy figured this out and would know you were nearly out at which point I think they discontinued it.

giddygoat1972
01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
thanks guys....I suspected in "real life" they might have put tracers at the end of a belt, but then thought this would let the guy you're trying to shoot down in on the act as well...

Nimits
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Some pilots/units did, though not everyone. Mostly you just guessed and tried not to waste anything.

VW-IceFire
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by giddygoat1972:
thanks guys....I suspected in "real life" they might have put tracers at the end of a belt, but then thought this would let the guy you're trying to shoot down in on the act as well...
Yep also true...this was, for instance, very common practice for Spitfires in Burma. The problem was that once they started firing lots of tracers...the Ki-43's would try and pounce on the Spitfire with no ammo left.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/icefire-tempestv.jpg
Find my missions at Flying Legends (http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/downloads.php?cat_id=19) and Mission4Today.com (http://www.mission4today.com).

BSS_Vidar
02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Hellcat is the only one I'm aware of with an ammo counter in the instrument panel.

SeaFireLIV
02-09-2007, 03:09 AM
For me it`s just familiarity. If you use the same plane a lot you know generally when your close to running out of ammo. In fact, ALL allied planes tend to be quite short ammo-wise imho and if you simply keep the trigger continuously pressed you`ll be empty very quickly. I tend to fire in bursts unless I know I will not miss.

I believe the Spitfire vb (or is it the Hurricane?) shoots from only ONE mg when you are about to run out.

Sure the Luftwaffe have an enemy counter, but they don`t have a mirror!

tigertalon
02-09-2007, 08:21 AM
On P-47 you can help yourself by firing a two or three second burst only from one set of MGs, and after that use all 8 together. When ammo is out in the first quad of MGs, you will still have a few secs of fire in the other one.

Still, if you fly/shoot smart (and air to air) it will be fuel that will be forcing you to RTB (or maybe damage), not ammo, on most planes - especially american and LW.

Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Sure the Luftwaffe have an enemy counter, but they don`t have a mirror!

When they were debating installing mirrors on LW fighters, Gunther Rall (I think) said: "When you see him in the mirror, it's already too late".

berg417448
02-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I've read comments from some P-51 pilots about knowing they were getting low on ammo when the outboard guns stopped firing. The inboard guns had more ammo (more storage space I guess) so when the outboard pair stopped firing they could tell they were running out.

SweetMonkeyLuv
02-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by berg417448:
I've read comments from some P-51 pilots about knowing they were getting low on ammo when the outboard guns stopped firing. The inboard guns had more ammo (more storage space I guess) so when the outboard pair stopped firing they could tell they were running out.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that to be true in-game, as well.

tigertalon
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah, outer 4 guns have 270 rpg, and inner pair has 400. The same as Hellcat IIRC.