PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new system-please help

sledgehammer2
09-29-2004, 05:34 PM
After waiting for so long to get a new computer I am now having major problems getting it all going. I ahve installed FB version 1.0. I was going to get everything configured and then install AEP et al. Here are the problems I am having so far...

sledgehammer2
09-29-2004, 05:34 PM
After waiting for so long to get a new computer I am now having major problems getting it all going. I ahve installed FB version 1.0. I was going to get everything configured and then install AEP et al. Here are the problems I am having so far...

Kasdeya
09-29-2004, 05:43 PM
What seems to be the problem? Did you forget to put them in your post or are you coming back cuz the list is too long?

sledgehammer2
09-29-2004, 06:29 PM
I hit the enter button too soon.
My problems are ... When I try to run the Black Death track the sound is ok but the video is screwed up - it is flashing and the picture is distorted.. I can barely make out a plane but when one makes a turn the image corkscrews. I hope this makes sense. Also, I cannot set up my joystick because I get a message that says there is a problem with the gameport - see Device Manager, but that doesn't tell me a damn thing.

Here are my specs...

MSI K8T mobo Socket 754
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb
1024 mb of Corsair DDR PC3200
Using on-board sound (is this the prob?)
Windows XP Home
AMD Athlon 64 3000
Antec 380 watt ps
Direct X 9.0c

Trying to use 1024x768 32 bit.

Any help would be appreciated as I am really frustrated. Thanks.

sledgehammer2

missiveus
09-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Have you installed the via chipset drivers?

sledgehammer2
09-29-2004, 06:42 PM
I am not sure. I just picked it up from the shop today. How can I find out the answer to that?

sledgehammer2
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Somebody please help me with this?!

missiveus
09-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Post your DX Diagnostic. This will tell us if you're chipset drivers are installed. Go to System Information/Tools/DX Diagnostic Tool. Then paste the file in the forum for people to analyze.

Mods: Might want to move this post over to help forum...

lil_labbit
09-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Check out Coasties place http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif for ATI cards setup
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/coastie0/IL2setup.html

If you get stutter - it also could be sound, try setting back sound hardware acceleration one notch untill it gets better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

For the joystick - run Start - Control Panel - Game Devices
and check if your joystick is recognized and functions OK

Jumoschwanz
09-30-2004, 08:17 AM
If you bought the computer at a shop why don't you take it back there and talk to them and maybe someone that actually knows what they are doing will look at it first hand. There are so many things to properly set up a high performance rig to run demanding 3d applications the average consumer could take a year to learn the craft. You have to tweak the rig from the Bios to the OS to the application and drivers and you do not seem like you are up to it at the moment. There is no magical switch to throw to make it all right, every single rig is built to a different spec and requires a different setup.

If you can find an experienced gamer/builder in your area that will be the quickest way for you to get going. It will take forever for the members of this forum to make a thousand guesses and for you to fumble them into your rig.

Jumoschwanz

dieg777
09-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Picture distortion is usually down to errors in
chipsett drivers
video drivers
power supply not adequete or not connected properly

Does your joystick show up in game devices in the control panel and if so can you test its calibration- if it doesnt show up then again its probably a driver issue- it sounds like the shop hasnt set up and tested everything prior to sale

Take it back to the shop if new and the above should be a good starting place or if they aint very helpful then do as missiveus says repost in community help

good luck