PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hearts of Iron 2...is it a 'good/fun' WWII game?

MichaelMar
01-16-2005, 10:18 AM
I saw an add for the PC game...Hearts of Iron 2 and must admit it looks nice. A few questions for those that had played it or know something about it.

1) Does the game allow for a lot of tactics?

2) How is the online version?

3) How much control do you have over what each of the countries you own amout to?

4)Is it a fast paced game or does each game take many hours...including multiplayer.

5) Is it like the old style WWII board games but this time on PC?

6) Planes...how are they used in HoI2?

thx

JR_Greenhorn
01-16-2005, 10:59 AM
1) Not tactics but strategy.

2) I don't know.

3) You have full military control of divisions, flotillas, capital ships, and squadrons; as well as control over the production of these. There is a system to model Industrial Capacity (IC), and the player has the choice of where to spend the IC. There are a number of diplomatic actions the player can engage in or refrain from. There is a large tech tree to research.
In the origninal HOI, you only control one country; I think HOI 2 is the same. However, you can join/form alliances, and there are a few circumstances that allow you to control limited aspects of another nation.

4) Each game takes many hours. However, a new feature of HOI 2 is scenarios that are optimized for an evening or two of play.

5) Having not played those board games, I hear it is fairly similar, but much more involved.

6) Planes are used as they would be strategically used historically. That is, squadrons of tactical bombers can be used to soften up enemy positions before an attack, srategic bombers can chip away at the Industrial Capacity of an enemy nation.

Baletzan
01-16-2005, 11:10 AM
You might want to download a demo at http://www.heartsofiron2.com/
I have the original and I'm going to buy this too. Recommend for anyone who is interested in WW2 generally. The demo contains the Ardennes Winter Offensive, one of the new scenarios. It let's you play as both Germany and Allies.

Smidlee
01-16-2005, 12:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelMar:

5) Is it like the old style WWII board games but this time on PC?

thx <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
it's not exactly like board games made into a pc game like korsun pocket. It's a RTS but can pause the game to organize your attacks. HOI 2 is an improvement over HOI.
Also the tech tree is huge in this game.

Mithel
01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Hearts of Iron 2 is a global simulation of World War II. Styles of playing it vary, some treat it like just a "game" and will play on fast speeds and it will be over quickly. Others (like myself) prefer to play at slow speeds and enjoy the detail and strategy - which can mean several MONTHS of playing several hours once per week to play out a game.

Unfortunately Paradox has been plagued by horrible network code and it can be extremely frustrating to play with friends over the Internet. (much better on a local LAN) Even more unfortunate is that the multiplayer potential of HoI is fantastic! From my point of view it *could* be simply the most interesting game / simulation ever. Now if they could only make it work and fix some of the horrible design flaws.

HoI 2 has a lot of improvements over HoI 1. I spent nine months writing utilities and doing extensive work (literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of work and testing) to modify the original HoI to get it to be realistic. Unfortunately we may need to make that same massive effort if we want HoI 2 to be realistic too.

The negative side is that Paradox has created a game engine that has lots of interesting potential but with over two years of patching and development they still are ignoring a lot of basic details. While *every* country is playable they have the economies of most small countries very *wrong* (many can't sustain themselves and will "melt down" before the actual war would start). (It was four to six months and three major patches before the original HoI was even "playable" - it was complete trash before that)

The positive side is that there is NO other game like Hearts of Iron. If you love global strategy there is simply no other choice! And Hearts of Iron 2 looks to be a significant improvement over the original HoI.

If you enjoy politics, diplomacy, economy then you might love Hearts of Iron. If you like combat and don't care about realism you might also love Hearts of Iron. If you love realism and can't stand some glaring errors then HoI can be extremely frustrating. If you lack patience then forget HoI.

I think you'll find the strongest criticism from those of us that love it the most. Hearts of Iron is fantastic (but I both love it and hate it).

Expect patches... Paradox patches HoI more than Oleg patches his products. But don't expect the same quality of coding. Paradox is miles behind Oleg in quality of code.

huggy87
01-17-2005, 01:26 PM
HOI2 has received pretty good reviews so far- above the 90%range. Much better than the first which received it share of complaints. Thanks for the link to the demo- I'll have to check it out. How is the AI. Anyone everplay Axis & Allies (not the just released- turd). Great adaptation from board game to CPU, but horrible/ almost unplayable AI. Luckily it was good v humans.

Mithel
01-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Original HoI received some fantastic initial reviews (obviously by people that hadn't really tried it but read the features and realized the fantastic potential it had).

I think we need to give HoI 2 a bit of try to see how it will work out. It's very disappointing to hear the networking issues haven't been fixed, but there are massive design changes that should help improve the AI and overall should make for a much more enjoyable game.

The potential is there for a fantastic game... I haven't had enough time with HoI 2 yet though to really give a firm opinion on it.

I can tell you that if you like quick and furious games that HoI is not for you. HoI is a strategy game.

Recon_609IAP
01-17-2005, 02:59 PM
I didn't like it- too much micromanagement for me, but if you like that sort of thing you should try it out.

how is korsun pocket?

Mithel
01-18-2005, 08:30 AM
I've had a bit more time to dig into HoI 2 (it's still rather new). More and more I'm impressed at the huge improvements that have been made from the original HoI.

Yes, Hearts of Iron (1 or 2) is a game for those that like managing a lot of details. HoI 2 is far better about this than the original. Both Naval and Air is now based on "Missions" instead of individually ordering every single airstrike, you can now just tell a fighter wing to conduct "air superiority for the next 45 days over XYZ region".

HoI 2 is not a "fast" game, it's something to "lose" yourself in (playing a game over many multi hour sessions). HoI 2 has added some nice features to reduce the micromanagement and allow you to get into the details of just what you desire and enjoy. Another example is convoys... you can set it such that the CPU will take care of all your convoy concerns (a big deal for the UK) and some players are reporting it does a better job than they did manually!

It can be overwhelming to jump in the first time and try to run a mega nation like Germany. To learn HoI 2 you really should start by taking some small country like Bulgaria and play out your little role in WWII.

FI_Macca44
01-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Hearts Of Iron 2 is realy wonderful, just like all other games of the Europa universalis series.

Highly reccomended by me.

S!

Mithel
01-20-2005, 10:23 AM
As I continue to dig into HoI 2 it's clear again that many of the values Paradox have used are very "crude". Still, it's a huge improvement over original HoI. For those just looking to "play" HoI 2 as shipped and patched you should have a lot of fun, but to have a more historically accurate experience you will definitely want it modified (I'll be working once again to produce the "Starfire Historical Mod").

Tunturisusi
01-21-2005, 01:39 AM
I can recommend HOI2 too. The game has improved a lot over the original HOI. Many things that annoyed there are now corrected. Problem is that AI is much better now. Seems like it reads your mind and starts kicking your *** when you are most vulnerable. I remember that with original HOI I was able to conquer the Europe and Russia (as far as Siberia) very easily when playing as a German. Just yesterday I found myself doomed with the same 1936 campaign, because I underestimated the Russian and French AI. And I was playing very carefully the diplomacy, but now AI doesn't let you to dictate the pace anymore. Even you have good relationship with someone, they can attack you if time is right for them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif(as Russia did, when I started to come near their borders conquering Poland, and Poland wasn't allied/guaranteed by Russia). Much much harder than the original one. Also the AI does not rush in to your defensive posts anymore, if it can circle your troops and cut your army's supplies.
I can really recommend the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif