PDA

View Full Version : Here is the interview translation

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi
I'm the guy who made the Oleg Maddox Interview in http://www.meristation.com

Here is the original text in english, not an automatic translation /i/smilies/16x16_woman-wink.gif

MS - First of all, I'd like to thank you for letting us steal you some time and answer our questions. The fan community is a bit worried about your health condition, and I hope you recover from your illness as soon as posible. How do you feel at the moment?

OM - I'm Ok now. Thanks.

MS - IL2 Sturmovik and its sequel, Forgotten Battles, have meant an unique revolution in PC flight sims. Very few simulators have been so successful and, at the same time, have given so much to talk about. Are you surprised to see the great acceptation it has received?

OM - I was surprised a bit.

MS - Which reason do you consider the main one for such a selling success of a quite complex simulator?

OM - As close to reality as possible and then people will talk about the game. When real pilots pay real attention to a simulator then many gamers hear them. The second - its Russian Front that was never modeled in flight sim before IL-2. For someone IL-2 became a window into another chapter of history, that is not so well known in the west. Sample: ask US users to tell about civil war in Spain.. Who will be able to tell details about it? Just a few?

MS - Tell us about the present situation of simulators. What do you think about it? Do you believe these aren't good times for realistic simulators?

OM - Only realistic simulators, without easy modes are almost out of interest for really commercial market.

MS - A realistic simulator limits the actual market and moreover requires more worktime, and therefore more funds. Wouldn't you have prefered a simulator within everybody's reach, like the Novalogic ones, which would have reported you more profits?

OM - I prefer to make realistic with inclusion of easy modes for novices. And prefer as more as possible realistic details with just only mentioned by you limits - time and funds plus limit of power of home PCs.

MS - However, some flight sim fans think IL2 FB isn't as realistic as it seems. In your forum there are a lot of discussions about it., and some of them are very well documented indicating failures in the flight and damage model . What do you think about this?

OM - Some bugs always may present. But can we compare FB with other sims in that area (WWII sims)? Is there a better sim? I don't think so. However I personally disagree in some cases with "documented" posts. Simply some read blueprints wrong or their opinion based on recalls of pilots of one side.. A good example was with of FW-190 cockpit view forward and position of gunsight.. Finally I had to stop discussions and to show who was right (however someone still disagree and probably I will post the photos of the rebuild FW-190s by original blueprints with permission of the owner of these photos).
Another one important thing that we did in one sim so much that nobody else before us. Just try to calculate it, that was done by a single development team. Its hard for a small team to track everything inside the huge code, that is comparable with some very big scientific research programs by the size and complexity... Or we'll need to make much higher price for the final product and order more people to work for us. For all we need time and money. It's a law.
In my opinion, the term "very well documented" is correct when I see it in original, not "scanned" conditions. I saw corrected data for some planes in internet. Interesting but it was enhanced in comparison to the original doc../i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif

MS - There are fans that even accuse you for favouring soviet planes intentionally, either for patriotism or just to balance both sides and make it more fun, to improve gameplay.

OM - Mistakes or bugs of programmers are not the same as patriotism. And look for my surname. Is it Russian? Isn't it English? And why I'm personally flying online almost always Bf-109s.?

MS - Have you made gameplay concessions to equilibrate forces in Forgotten Battles?.

OM - In my personal opinion there almost all really balanced. But need more tuning that we do right now. With such great amount of avionics and weapon modelled in a sim it is very-very hard to track everything in development.
So its why we decided to have in a new sim smaller amount of planes than in IL-2 and ofcourse in FB.... Casual user can't even imagine how much time and forces we spend for each aircraft research and 3D/programming development. With more complex code and, as a result of this, more complex
tunings we'll need to spend more and more time and forces for each aircraft, ground units and objects, etc....
Just for example now the tank in IL-2 has from 300 to 1000 polygons, but in new sim it is about 3-4 times more (or even greater sometime)....and will have the damage model like the aircraft now in FB. How will looks the ground in a new sim you may look on Battelfield Command screen shots. It will be close to this or even better from the aircraft point of view /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif .
Sad that some users simply do not understand it. But I would like to say them that as more they want to see and feel, then they should be ready for
the next upgrades of their PC in future. I would say great upgrades. And we don't plan to make arcades in future /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif Novice modes of course we'll
also develop in a new sim...
With the patch should be almost all OK. Simply with the release races we made some bugs and missed them even with a great test team. But even in this case its much more close to reality then in some other sims. Much more.. If someone thinks other than that, he needs to show me this sim and tell in which part it is more realistic.

MS - A lot of these fans provide technical data that, according to them, prove that what they're saying is the truth, and they also base their arguments on the fact that you don't publish your information sources, even doubting of their existence. Don't you think that publishing part of that data a lot of critical voices would be silenced?

OM . Sometimes I do it. When I have the right for that. I keep all copyrights and agreements that I have and if I post sometime then I ask officially permission of archives or authors of books who presented me such info. Many do not understand this, so please ask them to make research in archive or to get a permisson for that. Sometimes this costs money and some time a lot of money. Then ask them to get detailed photos themselves where all screws and digits are visible.. Those, who really help me in that hard work understand it..

MS - How's the documentation process behind IL2? Have you interviewed pilots, looked for files in museums, consulted plans, etc?

OM - I was everywhere where it was possible. I spoke to veterans (Russian, German, UK, USA, etc). My Finnish friends spoke especially for me with many Finnish WWII pilots. I'm in contact with historians and these who restore WWII time aircraft in different countries. I think the small part of it is possible to read in IL-2 and FB manual and Thanks section of Credits menu, isn't it?

MS - Bearing in mind that there is such a meticulous process behind the making of these sims, involving years of development, beta testing, standalone tests, etc, why do always appear bugs that must be fixed with patches once the game is in the shells?

OM - I'm sorry, but as a sim IL-2 and FB had no bugs in terms what you mean. Compare please with other sims or other games. Compare with respond of others.. And look for the history line of IL-2 on the market. Each new patch or add-on we introduced more new features, planes and tuned the sim for the better. But we don't just fix bugs. We try to offer each time better features looking for suggestions of really creative users..Am I right? Could you show other much developer of any sims?

MS - A lot of videogame fans think, in general, that the publishers put a lot of pressure on you to make the product appear in the market as soon as possible so they can recover the funds inverted on it as soon as possible. Do you believe this situation leads to incomplete games that programmers must finish with patches? Is this what's happening in real?

OM - It is close to true. But the real picture is much more complex. It depends of developer and publisher connections and agreements. Some developers try to release not ready products not to loose possible profits. It isn't in our case.

MS - Do you believe programmers should enjoy more liberty when making their products?

OM - Yes. But I understand also publishers well. In my case we have many compromises with Publisher and I'm really glad that we have them.

MS - The first Forgotten Battles patch is about to be released, including a lot of improvements and fixes. Will be all the problems solved with this patch?

OM - All problems? All "problems" we'll never fix due to limits of PC and technology or such as bugs of some drivers, that are not our own. Some "problems" could be just suggestions for us for future developments, but they are not the bugs, as some users try to say about it.

MS - In general, what do you think about beta testers?

OM - 1.Its good when they follow the plan of beta test and do not distribute milestone versions.

2. I'm glad that among our beta testers there are many real pilots.

MS - I imagine that after IL2 and IL2 Forgotten Battles you'll be thinking in a well deserved holidays. We know Maddox Games is developing a strategy game very similar in its style to Combat Mission. Do you have another project in mind related to simulators?

OM - We already begun working on a new simulator and of course 1C is working on the strategy game.

MS - How's the Battlefield Command development going? Can you tell us something about it?

OM - Its going well We had extremely positive response after E3 /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif .

MS - It's a common believing that you're interested in people remembering the forgotten battles. Not in vain, your last project has got that name. As you know, we suffered a terrible civil war here in Spain more than 60 years ago, and precisely in the very previous years to WWII and where some of the planes represented in IL2 Forgotten Battles fought. Wouldn't you find interesting making a sim about this war?

OM - Should be also within Publisher's interests. I'm interested to make all conflicts of that era. But in general - publisher may agree or disagree.

MS - I assume you've seen Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command, both of which are compatible in multiplayer mode. A flight sim could be also compatible with a tank or naval combat sim maybe. Do you think it's possible to start a project like this?

OM - Maybe. As always its depending only on time and funding. At least some parts for such thing we will develop in the next sim.

MS - Could you tell us something about the new sim you are working?

OM - New sim is about WWII. It isn't about Russian front. With this sim we'll begin new series of sims that will cover probably almost all areas of WWII
aerial battles... then we will return to Russian front in some years. Its a General plan. Some cycle. But it will be only if success will continue for us.
The new sim will be expandable with add-ons and separate sims (new areas planes, years, etc) In generally we'll use new technology that will be possible to upgrade even
more than IL-2 basic 3D and physics engines. Many changes will be in single and online gameplay. Say it will be with more features in campaigns and great features of online gameplay (in additional to the new features the old
online gameplay type we'll keep also like some of features).
So we take all the best from FB and make better at all areas sim. I don't promise so great amount of planes like in Il-2 and FB. I think in the next sim it will be something like 25+ due to much more complex modeling and
programming. But in time the amount of planes (and wechicles as well) will be growing....

MS - Good luck with your projects, Mr. Maddox, and my most sincere congratulations for making the flight sim which may be the best one PC has ever seen.

OM - Thank you very much. My best wishes for readers in your country.

http://www.meristation.com/sc/articulos/articulo.asp?c=GEN&cr=4084

I hope you find it interesting

Humans rarely live long enough to see the consequences of their mistakes

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi
I'm the guy who made the Oleg Maddox Interview in http://www.meristation.com

Here is the original text in english, not an automatic translation /i/smilies/16x16_woman-wink.gif

MS - First of all, I'd like to thank you for letting us steal you some time and answer our questions. The fan community is a bit worried about your health condition, and I hope you recover from your illness as soon as posible. How do you feel at the moment?

OM - I'm Ok now. Thanks.

MS - IL2 Sturmovik and its sequel, Forgotten Battles, have meant an unique revolution in PC flight sims. Very few simulators have been so successful and, at the same time, have given so much to talk about. Are you surprised to see the great acceptation it has received?

OM - I was surprised a bit.

MS - Which reason do you consider the main one for such a selling success of a quite complex simulator?

OM - As close to reality as possible and then people will talk about the game. When real pilots pay real attention to a simulator then many gamers hear them. The second - its Russian Front that was never modeled in flight sim before IL-2. For someone IL-2 became a window into another chapter of history, that is not so well known in the west. Sample: ask US users to tell about civil war in Spain.. Who will be able to tell details about it? Just a few?

MS - Tell us about the present situation of simulators. What do you think about it? Do you believe these aren't good times for realistic simulators?

OM - Only realistic simulators, without easy modes are almost out of interest for really commercial market.

MS - A realistic simulator limits the actual market and moreover requires more worktime, and therefore more funds. Wouldn't you have prefered a simulator within everybody's reach, like the Novalogic ones, which would have reported you more profits?

OM - I prefer to make realistic with inclusion of easy modes for novices. And prefer as more as possible realistic details with just only mentioned by you limits - time and funds plus limit of power of home PCs.

MS - However, some flight sim fans think IL2 FB isn't as realistic as it seems. In your forum there are a lot of discussions about it., and some of them are very well documented indicating failures in the flight and damage model . What do you think about this?

OM - Some bugs always may present. But can we compare FB with other sims in that area (WWII sims)? Is there a better sim? I don't think so. However I personally disagree in some cases with "documented" posts. Simply some read blueprints wrong or their opinion based on recalls of pilots of one side.. A good example was with of FW-190 cockpit view forward and position of gunsight.. Finally I had to stop discussions and to show who was right (however someone still disagree and probably I will post the photos of the rebuild FW-190s by original blueprints with permission of the owner of these photos).
Another one important thing that we did in one sim so much that nobody else before us. Just try to calculate it, that was done by a single development team. Its hard for a small team to track everything inside the huge code, that is comparable with some very big scientific research programs by the size and complexity... Or we'll need to make much higher price for the final product and order more people to work for us. For all we need time and money. It's a law.
In my opinion, the term "very well documented" is correct when I see it in original, not "scanned" conditions. I saw corrected data for some planes in internet. Interesting but it was enhanced in comparison to the original doc../i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif

MS - There are fans that even accuse you for favouring soviet planes intentionally, either for patriotism or just to balance both sides and make it more fun, to improve gameplay.

OM - Mistakes or bugs of programmers are not the same as patriotism. And look for my surname. Is it Russian? Isn't it English? And why I'm personally flying online almost always Bf-109s.?

MS - Have you made gameplay concessions to equilibrate forces in Forgotten Battles?.

OM - In my personal opinion there almost all really balanced. But need more tuning that we do right now. With such great amount of avionics and weapon modelled in a sim it is very-very hard to track everything in development.
So its why we decided to have in a new sim smaller amount of planes than in IL-2 and ofcourse in FB.... Casual user can't even imagine how much time and forces we spend for each aircraft research and 3D/programming development. With more complex code and, as a result of this, more complex
tunings we'll need to spend more and more time and forces for each aircraft, ground units and objects, etc....
Just for example now the tank in IL-2 has from 300 to 1000 polygons, but in new sim it is about 3-4 times more (or even greater sometime)....and will have the damage model like the aircraft now in FB. How will looks the ground in a new sim you may look on Battelfield Command screen shots. It will be close to this or even better from the aircraft point of view /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif .
Sad that some users simply do not understand it. But I would like to say them that as more they want to see and feel, then they should be ready for
the next upgrades of their PC in future. I would say great upgrades. And we don't plan to make arcades in future /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif Novice modes of course we'll
also develop in a new sim...
With the patch should be almost all OK. Simply with the release races we made some bugs and missed them even with a great test team. But even in this case its much more close to reality then in some other sims. Much more.. If someone thinks other than that, he needs to show me this sim and tell in which part it is more realistic.

MS - A lot of these fans provide technical data that, according to them, prove that what they're saying is the truth, and they also base their arguments on the fact that you don't publish your information sources, even doubting of their existence. Don't you think that publishing part of that data a lot of critical voices would be silenced?

OM . Sometimes I do it. When I have the right for that. I keep all copyrights and agreements that I have and if I post sometime then I ask officially permission of archives or authors of books who presented me such info. Many do not understand this, so please ask them to make research in archive or to get a permisson for that. Sometimes this costs money and some time a lot of money. Then ask them to get detailed photos themselves where all screws and digits are visible.. Those, who really help me in that hard work understand it..

MS - How's the documentation process behind IL2? Have you interviewed pilots, looked for files in museums, consulted plans, etc?

OM - I was everywhere where it was possible. I spoke to veterans (Russian, German, UK, USA, etc). My Finnish friends spoke especially for me with many Finnish WWII pilots. I'm in contact with historians and these who restore WWII time aircraft in different countries. I think the small part of it is possible to read in IL-2 and FB manual and Thanks section of Credits menu, isn't it?

MS - Bearing in mind that there is such a meticulous process behind the making of these sims, involving years of development, beta testing, standalone tests, etc, why do always appear bugs that must be fixed with patches once the game is in the shells?

OM - I'm sorry, but as a sim IL-2 and FB had no bugs in terms what you mean. Compare please with other sims or other games. Compare with respond of others.. And look for the history line of IL-2 on the market. Each new patch or add-on we introduced more new features, planes and tuned the sim for the better. But we don't just fix bugs. We try to offer each time better features looking for suggestions of really creative users..Am I right? Could you show other much developer of any sims?

MS - A lot of videogame fans think, in general, that the publishers put a lot of pressure on you to make the product appear in the market as soon as possible so they can recover the funds inverted on it as soon as possible. Do you believe this situation leads to incomplete games that programmers must finish with patches? Is this what's happening in real?

OM - It is close to true. But the real picture is much more complex. It depends of developer and publisher connections and agreements. Some developers try to release not ready products not to loose possible profits. It isn't in our case.

MS - Do you believe programmers should enjoy more liberty when making their products?

OM - Yes. But I understand also publishers well. In my case we have many compromises with Publisher and I'm really glad that we have them.

MS - The first Forgotten Battles patch is about to be released, including a lot of improvements and fixes. Will be all the problems solved with this patch?

OM - All problems? All "problems" we'll never fix due to limits of PC and technology or such as bugs of some drivers, that are not our own. Some "problems" could be just suggestions for us for future developments, but they are not the bugs, as some users try to say about it.

MS - In general, what do you think about beta testers?

OM - 1.Its good when they follow the plan of beta test and do not distribute milestone versions.

2. I'm glad that among our beta testers there are many real pilots.

MS - I imagine that after IL2 and IL2 Forgotten Battles you'll be thinking in a well deserved holidays. We know Maddox Games is developing a strategy game very similar in its style to Combat Mission. Do you have another project in mind related to simulators?

OM - We already begun working on a new simulator and of course 1C is working on the strategy game.

MS - How's the Battlefield Command development going? Can you tell us something about it?

OM - Its going well We had extremely positive response after E3 /i/smilies/16x16_woman-happy.gif .

MS - It's a common believing that you're interested in people remembering the forgotten battles. Not in vain, your last project has got that name. As you know, we suffered a terrible civil war here in Spain more than 60 years ago, and precisely in the very previous years to WWII and where some of the planes represented in IL2 Forgotten Battles fought. Wouldn't you find interesting making a sim about this war?

OM - Should be also within Publisher's interests. I'm interested to make all conflicts of that era. But in general - publisher may agree or disagree.

MS - I assume you've seen Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command, both of which are compatible in multiplayer mode. A flight sim could be also compatible with a tank or naval combat sim maybe. Do you think it's possible to start a project like this?

OM - Maybe. As always its depending only on time and funding. At least some parts for such thing we will develop in the next sim.

MS - Could you tell us something about the new sim you are working?

OM - New sim is about WWII. It isn't about Russian front. With this sim we'll begin new series of sims that will cover probably almost all areas of WWII
aerial battles... then we will return to Russian front in some years. Its a General plan. Some cycle. But it will be only if success will continue for us.
The new sim will be expandable with add-ons and separate sims (new areas planes, years, etc) In generally we'll use new technology that will be possible to upgrade even
more than IL-2 basic 3D and physics engines. Many changes will be in single and online gameplay. Say it will be with more features in campaigns and great features of online gameplay (in additional to the new features the old
online gameplay type we'll keep also like some of features).
So we take all the best from FB and make better at all areas sim. I don't promise so great amount of planes like in Il-2 and FB. I think in the next sim it will be something like 25+ due to much more complex modeling and
programming. But in time the amount of planes (and wechicles as well) will be growing....

MS - Good luck with your projects, Mr. Maddox, and my most sincere congratulations for making the flight sim which may be the best one PC has ever seen.

OM - Thank you very much. My best wishes for readers in your country.

http://www.meristation.com/sc/articulos/articulo.asp?c=GEN&cr=4084

I hope you find it interesting

Humans rarely live long enough to see the consequences of their mistakes

ZG77_Nagual
08-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Nicely done!

http://pws.chartermi.net/~cmorey/pics/p47janes.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Thank you so much. Much better than the automatic translation that I used, but still, I think that "Prompt" gave me a very good idea of what was said during the interview, and your translation has agreed with it on all points that I can understand. It's apprecitaed that you took the time to do this more than can be said.
Tsisqua

http://www.cherokee.org/Culture/images/proctorZeke.jpg
"My ancestors didn't come over in the Mayflower--they met the boat."

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612345111

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 05:09 PM
WOW THANKS/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

-----------------------
http://defence-data.com/storypic/spitfire.jpg

Take off is only the beginnigg
Bail out is YOUR end.

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Ciberputa, your callsign is interesting. Would you comment us about it's origin? Just kidding.
Salute!

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the interview, very interesting!

May I please ask you to check your digitalia mail? It is about a French version http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

AJ

Webmaster Warbirds-C6
http://www.checksix-fr.com

http://www.checksix-fr.com/ressource_image/logoC6.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 10:19 PM
thanks for posting this

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 10:56 PM
Ciberputa, grave error here. Everybody knows that Oleg uses the cool robot smilies, not those pussie ladyface smilies! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

(Es un chiste, muchas gracias pour la entrevista!)

Freycinet
<center>
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/delfin/SD/2001/flight/spitbf109/ellehammer-crop-for-il2-forum-reduced.jpg</center>
<center>My Il-2 web-site:</center><center><BIG>"Za Rodinu!"</BIG> (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/delfin/SD/2001/flight/il-2/index.htm)</center>

Freycinet
<center>
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/delfin/SD/2001/flight/spitbf109/ellehammer-crop-for-il2-forum-reduced.jpg</center>
<center>My Il-2 web-site:</center><center><BIG>"Za Rodinu!"</BIG> (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/delfin/SD/2001/flight/il-2/index.htm)</center>

Inferno71
08-13-2003, 04:08 PM
That's a nice read.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:15 PM
i like his answer to the claim that he's politically biased.

flying online as 25th_Inmate

http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/inmate.jpg

michapma
08-14-2003, 10:04 AM
^

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="10"><tr valign="middle" bgcolor="#3e463b"><td height="40" colspan="3" align="center">The ongoing IL-2 User's Guide project (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/)</a></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#515e2f"><td width="40%">FB engine management:
Manifold Pressure sucks (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182081-1.html)
Those Marvelous Props (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182082-1.html)
Mixture Magic (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182084-1.html)
Putting It All Together (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182085-1.html)
Those Fire-Breathing Turbos (Part 1 of 6) (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182102-1.html)</td><td align="center">

‚ =69.GIAP=Chap‚

69.GIAP (http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/giap/)</p></td><td width="40%" align="right" valign="top">Hardware:
Flight Simulation Performance Analyzed (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_062a.html)
Building a home-made throttle quadrant step by step (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=zkavv)
Sound Can Be Hazardous for Games (http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html)</td></tr></table>