PDA

View Full Version : Book Corner: Desert Eagles

Oz_Canuck
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Just read an entertaining book:
Desert Eagles published by Airlife Classics (UK)
True story of 2 Americans who join up with the RCAF to get into the war and end up flying Kittyhawks in 239 Wing, a mixed RAF and RAAF unit, for the battle of El Alamein. Taken from their journals, there are lots of insights into a fighter pliots daily life and the desert war. One of them gets shot down, captured and escapes from Greece , returning to Egypt via Turkey. The other battles thoughout the N. Africa campaign. Good read.
Itching to get into the fray, I fired up Birdbrain's excellent "El Alamein" campaign and promptly got my *** kicked. Damn 109's.......
I recommend this campaign highly, too.

Oz_Canuck
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Just read an entertaining book:
Desert Eagles published by Airlife Classics (UK)
True story of 2 Americans who join up with the RCAF to get into the war and end up flying Kittyhawks in 239 Wing, a mixed RAF and RAAF unit, for the battle of El Alamein. Taken from their journals, there are lots of insights into a fighter pliots daily life and the desert war. One of them gets shot down, captured and escapes from Greece , returning to Egypt via Turkey. The other battles thoughout the N. Africa campaign. Good read.
Itching to get into the fray, I fired up Birdbrain's excellent "El Alamein" campaign and promptly got my *** kicked. Damn 109's.......
I recommend this campaign highly, too.

Waldo.Pepper
10-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Headups for good books are always welcome, and this is a good book to be certain - but I prefer Kittyhawk Pilot.

Jimmy Edwards, as the old-timers around Battleford call him, grew up in the historic town of Battleford, Saskatchewan; went to school in a building that housed the first government of the Northwest Territories and experienced all the things that went with the Great Depression of the 1930's. From the beginning he demonstrated the ability of an achiever--a quality he took with him into the Royal Canadian Air Force and on into the Western Desert of North Africa where he went to become a pilot in the 260 Squadron of the RAF. Artwork on the jacket, by Jeff Pritchard of Delta, BC, sets the mood for Kittyhawk Pilot, the true story of J. F. (Stocky) Edwards, Canada's top living fighter pilot. Black and white photographs.

Its getting expensive, and rare.... so get yours soon!

http://www.amazon.com/Kittyhawk-Pilot-James-Stocky-Edwa...1734?ie=UTF8&s=books (http://www.amazon.com/Kittyhawk-Pilot-James-Stocky-Edwards/dp/0919899102/sr=1-1/qid=1159848190/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8001025-3501734?ie=UTF8&s=books)

Oz_Canuck
10-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, my fathers from Sask. and I grew up in Delta, so I better get it! Thanks for the tip!