PDA

View Full Version : Do all ships run empty or what?

Foehammer-1
02-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Ok, all ships of the same type have exactly the same height above water. How so? When a ship is loaded, it should sink in a lot deeper than when it is empty. Ok, i can assume they are all modelled as full. Now, that means convoys returning from Murmansk are full too! How so? They unloaded supplies in USSR and then took then all away? Is that realistic or what?

JonZ
02-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
Ok, all ships of the same type have exactly the same height above water. How so? When a ship is loaded, it should sink in a lot deeper than when it is empty. Ok, i can assume they are all modelled as full. Now, that means convoys returning from Murmansk are full too! How so? They unloaded supplies in USSR and then took then all away? Is that realistic or what?

I can remember having encountered a T3 tanker alot deeper than the usual draft. Perhaps it was a bug, it was probably the only time it happened to me.

I think there is a mod out there to diversify the ships loadout and draft.
You can check out there http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/

Tontoman666
02-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Well if they're running empty they'll load some ballast anyway (to keep them balanced) which would reduce the difference you see. But I've not noticed any difference in the depth they sail.

There a difference in how they blow up though. A tanker is much easier to blow up when it's going to England (full) than when it's leaving (empty).

Jose.MaC
02-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Programers simplified this point of the simulation. If not, we should guesstimate the depth of the keel in order to do manual targeting and setting depth of torpedoes.

Kaleun1961
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:

Maybe they were bringing back Russian vodka and gold as payment for those goods? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GT182
02-07-2006, 08:36 PM
If I remember right, someone is or was going to try and make a mod to change this. Loaded ships would sit lower in the water than the empty or partially loaded ones. Nice idea but I'd think the recognition book might have to be reworked too to show loaded and empty profiles.

wessenhammer
02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
From Russia the ships return loaded with mail order Russian brides for Americans and crates of cabbage.