PDA

View Full Version : Stupid choice of Tubes for Salvo's

Osakajoe
04-03-2005, 02:20 PM
I'll be giving maybe 2 different types of Torpedoes in Tubes 1-4 of type IIV or IX.
And they 2 different types will be in 1&2 and 3&4 respectively.

So i would like Salvo's of

1&2
3&4

So the Torpedoes fires in a 2 Torpedo salvo are the same and travel at the same speed etc.

But i'll be given Salvo options of

Osakajoe
04-03-2005, 02:20 PM
I'll be giving maybe 2 different types of Torpedoes in Tubes 1-4 of type IIV or IX.
And they 2 different types will be in 1&2 and 3&4 respectively.

So i would like Salvo's of

1&2
3&4

So the Torpedoes fires in a 2 Torpedo salvo are the same and travel at the same speed etc.

But i'll be given Salvo options of

U-49
04-03-2005, 02:23 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Lovo_Kasistan
04-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah, would be better to be able to choose manually which tubes you want to shoot with.

soviet_warlord
04-03-2005, 04:37 PM
ya seriously, what U-Boat commander would shoot ALL 4 TUBES at 1 target? With this logic, the salvo option is only useful against carriers, battleships, or if you are already reloading some of the tubes. I really hope that after the patch the salvo will be more useful.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-03-2005, 04:54 PM
@soviet
You can choose salvos of 2 or 3 torpedoes already. The problem is, and I think that's what the original poster wanted to tell us, that you can only choose a salvo of tube 1 and 3 or a salvo of tube 2 and 4 which is actually rather stupid methinks. You should be able to choose the salvos manually and not with this dial (or at least with a dial that has more reasonable presets).

LoboWulf
04-03-2005, 05:17 PM
I am taking a shot in the dark here, but it is most likely set up that way because of historical accuracy. Should be pretty easy to check that out.

A very possible reason it was set up this way was if the set up of the tubes was like this: port side = tubes 1/2; starboard side = tubes 3/4. If that were so, firing tubes 1/3 and/or 2/4 would be done in order to keep the boat more on trim. If a torpedo weighed 500 pounds or so (not sure of the actual weight...it was probably more than that) it would make a difference in the boat bouyancy.

And the previous poster left out you can also fire the "spread 4" salvo.

NastyHyena
04-03-2005, 05:45 PM
I was about to say that about the salvo's being set up to fire left-then-right. Otherwise, as mentioned, the boat would end up lop-sided (Atleast as far as real life is concerned).

Now, if you really wanted, the CFG file for the sub lets you change the salvo settings. Dont know if it is reflected in the settings on the dial or not.

scourtney2
04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Oh, let's not whine about salvo options now! The only reason these salvo patterns were chosen was because they were the REAL salvo options. Those dials are replicas of the real life dials one would see in a u-boat.

I would expect people to complain about dials that offered unrealistic salvo options, but in this respect, the dev team got it right! Let's leave them alone because they are 100% correct in their salvo choices.

Allright, I'll step off my soapbox now.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Ok, so I won't whine about the salvo options and will now instead whine about how stupid the torpedo presets are. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

scourtney2
04-03-2005, 06:08 PM
There, now that's more like it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

malkuth
04-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Its not a good idea to Launch Torps from the Same Side of the Boat at about the same time. That is why the salvos go everyother. Like 1 And 3, 2 and 4.

So set up your torpedo loads while in port, before the mission.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-03-2005, 06:16 PM
But... but... but then I had to do something on my own. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lost_Lamb
04-03-2005, 07:05 PM
To counter the effect of the salvo options, load them to the tubes you want either at your base or when reloading at sea. If you have room in the torpedo room and time, you can also unload and reload torpedoes to the right tubes to meet the given situation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by soviet_warlord:
ya seriously, what U-Boat commander would shoot ALL 4 TUBES at 1 target? With this logic, the salvo option is only useful against carriers, battleships, or if you are already reloading some of the tubes. I really hope that after the patch the salvo will be more useful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not 4 torpedoes, but the salvo option is useful. I think it was Eric Topp who used the 'one torpedo, one ship' tactic. I see that this would be useful in a convoy situation where the idea is to damage as many ships as possible so that they drop out of the convoy. Most commanders would have used salvos at some point.

As I see it, salvos are useful to;

a) Minimise the affect of small errors obtained when using manual plotting of solutions or when using the data gathering tools, as well as bad weather.

b) Ensure maximum damage to targets that generally require more than one hit to sink.

c) Reduce the affect of duds.

d) Minimise the affect of the target performing evasive maneuvers.

e) Minimise the affect of zig-zagging targets.

f) Any combination of all of the above.

If you are using auto-targetting, no duds, stabilised view, weapons officer solutions etc then I suppose one torpedo may do in most situations.

You can also open 2,3 or 4 tubes at once with the Q key depending on your salvo selection. The if you switch to single fire, these tubes stay open until you select them and then select another tube, upon which they will close. The result is faster and less complex firing of torpedoes at multiple targets.

Osakajoe
04-04-2005, 03:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lost_Lamb:
To counter the effect of the salvo options, load them to the tubes you want either at your base or when reloading at sea. If you have room in the torpedo room and time, you can also unload and reload torpedoes to the right tubes to meet the given situation.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Want to explain in more detail how?
I unloaded a tube the other day and it got fille dup straight away with another not of my choice.

Something to do with the tick in the top left for auto loading??

Also the salvo tube selections may be historically accurate.
But the choice of which torps are in which tube by my crew are stupid!!

Lost_Lamb
04-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Osakajoe, you are correct. If you click on the auto-loading tick at the top of the weapons screen you can manually change the load-out without the crew automatically choosing which torpedoes to reload.

msxyz
04-04-2005, 03:55 AM
A standard 533mm german torpedo weighted 1600 Kg (That is over 3500 lbs). But listing was not a serious problem because both row of tubes are very close to the centerline.

Something not historically correct is that it's still possible to fire from upper tubes with the boat surfaced or in rough seas. It was never done as the chance of the torpedo surfacing was too great.

This is apparently not simulated in SH3 (anyone remebers that funny "cruise missile torpedo" shot on these forums ?)

Willey
04-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Those salvos are indeed ****.

Tube arrangement, viewed at the bow from ahead is:

1 2
3 4
5 6 (XXI only)

So 1+2 and 3+4 would be balanced.

BTW you can modify the salvos by editing the cfg files in that data\Submarine\xxx folder. Back it up before editing. Made mine like this:

Type II:
[Salvo]
1=1,2,3
2=1,2
3=1,3
4=2,3

Type VII/IX:
[Salvo]
1=1,2,3,4
2=1,2
3=3,4
4=1,2,3
5=1,2,4
6=1,3,4
7=2,3,4
8=5,6
^^8 only for IX

Type XXI:
[Salvo]
1=1,2,3,4,5,6
2=1,2
3=3,4
4=5,6
5=1,3,5
6=2,4,6
7=1,2,3,4
8=3,4,5,6

HeibgesU999
04-04-2005, 06:08 PM
You can change your your default loadout so that your can set

Tube 1 & 3 =Steam
Tube 2 & 4 =Electric

In the Uboat Section when you are in port.

In real life, the Uboat Commanders Handbook advocates the use of Salvo Shots for ALL WORTHY TARGETS.