PDA

View Full Version : Don't people "Just walk" anymore?



stalkervision
04-18-2008, 05:22 AM
I never see people just walk anymore. Everything has to have a goal including walking. I see "power walkers",isn't that a pathetic idea and phrase btw?,arms flailing and ear phone equiped babeling on a phone or listening to music while "walking". They fly by not even looking or listening to the spring scenery around them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

"Power walking" and all it's many stupied variations seems to me a indicator, one of many, of what is wrong in our society.

huggy87
04-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Dork walkers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Seriously people, have some pride.

At least they are exercising, which is more than I am doing at the moment.

DKoor
04-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by stalkervision:
I never see people just walk anymore. Everything has to have a goal including walking. I see "power walkers",isn't that a pathetic idea and phrase btw?,arms flailing and ear phone equiped babeling on a phone or listening to music while "walking". They fly by not even looking or listening to the spring scenery around them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

"Power walking" and all it's many stupied variations seems to me a indicator, one of many, of what is wrong in our society. Who cares?

Like someone wise said; you can't fix stupid.

But... I support healthy way of living.

Somehow "power walking" is not in that picture.

HayateAce
04-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Why walk a few miles when you can cruise for 100?

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/productImages/2842-1-3660.jpg

crucislancer
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
Why walk a few miles when you can cruise for 100?

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/productImages/2842-1-3660.jpg

That's a beautiful bike. I've been wanting a road bike for years, but never seem to have the money for it.

I walk quite a bit. With gas prices rising daily, I'm trying to limit my driving, not to mention that my car isn't running so great. Sadly, we aren't very close to shopping, or I would walk to the market every day.

SeaFireLIV
04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
A simple walk through the park (away from cars) is good for every single Human Being. I was quite please the other day when I finally got my daughter to go for a simple walk through the park last week. When kids get to teenage, they seem to find a simple walk with parents as unfashionable.

But I find such walks very good.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Like someone wise said; you can't fix stupid.


Yes, Ron White is a philosipher for the ages http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

I_KG100_Prien
04-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I love a good walk.. especially now that I don't live in the city anymore... Corn fed country folk like myself don't like them big 'ol cities.

Now I've got the beautiful Oregon mountains all around me and it's great to spend the whole day outside walking about, or puttering around on a bike. Don't have to go to a park to enjoy peace and quiet...

jarink
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Don't people "Just walk" anymore?

About the only people I see "just walking" any more are old folks in the park.

buzzsaw1939
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Just the other day, while haveing a cigarett and catching my breath at the top of my stairs, I noticed all those idiot power walkers, pumping all those hydrocarbons into thier lungs!.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Aaron_GT
04-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Exercise produces endorphins - nature's anti depressants.

If you walk you get to meet your neighbours and make a more pleasant neighbourhood.

Saves petrol and money.

Keeps cobblers employed.

John_Pimlott
04-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I sometimes walk just for the hell of it. I walk for miles and miles for no reason other than I want to walk. The world's too interesting to just drive past all the time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

John_Pimlott
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
Exercise produces endorphins - nature's anti depressants.

If you walk you get to meet your neighbours and make a more pleasant neighbourhood.

Saves petrol and money.

Keeps cobblers employed.

My cobblers are quite well employed anyway thank you. He he..

VW-IceFire
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I do...its easier to do around here tho. Lots of walking paths, trails, and quiet sidestreets and suburbs with good sidewalks.

I find that in my travels around the continent that its not that good elsewhere. Most of the Canadian cities I've been to have been great for walking but in the US everywhere except Wisconsin everything is spread out and there are no sidewalks anywhere. Whats up with that? Admittedly I have not been out west so I'm not sure what its like.

Cajun76
04-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Side-walk?

Link please!

SeaFireLIV
04-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by John_Pimlott:
I sometimes walk just for the hell of it. I walk for miles and miles for no reason other than I want to walk. The world's too interesting to just drive past all the time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yea. I`m going to do this one day. Honestly, I am going to step out of my door and walk the breadth of Britain and back again, just because I want to. It`s something I will do.

Cajun76
04-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Pimlott:
I sometimes walk just for the hell of it. I walk for miles and miles for no reason other than I want to walk. The world's too interesting to just drive past all the time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yea. I`m going to do this one day. Honestly, I am going to step out of my door and walk the breadth of Britain and back again, just because I want to. It`s something I will do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya. Breadth, definitely. Say from around Carlisle to Newcastle Upon Tyne. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I love going for walks with Family and dog but be warned spring time is lambing season, farmers are more than a little edgy this time of year, and to a point understandably so if you have a dog.

That said it can bring out a rare breed of country loon also, especially in the British country side.

Only this week past I my wife and brother were accosted by some bloody nutjob with a rifle on his shoulder and accused of "hunting my dog" on his land.

Now I will admit that I had totally by accident strayed about a hundred yards from the designated footpath but we were still in the same field as the path and there were no livestock around. Something I always check before I enter any rural field or area. Because I am aware of the dangers a dog can present to live stock.

However I had my dog under control and immediately apologised for my accidental trespass and I also offerd to vacate the land by the swiftest legal route possible if he would point the way, but this joker seemed hell bent on fitting me and my dog up as some sort of rabid menace to nature and claimed he had seen me make a hunting gesture to my dog?

Now I am aware that that kind of accusation can get your dog shot where I come from and as he was armed I suspected this might be his intention so I asked him what he meant by this?

He replied that he had seen me proffer my open palm towards my dog, something I generaly do when he gives me a ball or, as in this case I hand him a treat for returning when called. But in all my time of owning dogs hunting or otherwise I can in all honesty say I have never heard described as a hunting gesture.

Anyway fortunately my dog (an English cocker) at that particular point decided that while we were discussing the finer points of hunting animals and not kicking leaves or throwing sticks or a ball that he would just roll over on his back and bask his balls in the sunshine with his tongue out and as I pointed out was demonstrating all the hunting ability of a bloody hedgehog.

SO with that point now quashed I asked him to point me in the direction of the path from which I had strayed and I would vacate his land and we need converse no longer. Where upon he promptly directed me toward a field full of lambing sheep that I had been trying to avoid and would have done had I known the path continued into that field.

Suffice to say I decided it would be better to return in the direction I had come from via the footpath and will be walking my dog with a suitably higher sense of paranoia in that area in the future if at all.

Mission accomplished from his point of view I guess and a cautionary tale for walkers that may come across an over dressed rifle man on a hot spring afternoon with nothing better to do than make wild accusations to anyone unfortunate enough to wander from the path into his.

Also perhaps one reason why people tend not to feel comfortable going for walks in the country although I will hasten to add that this is only the second time in twenty odd years that I have run into the rare raging rural nutter and they are thankfully few and far between.

Airmail109
04-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
I love going for walks with Family and dog but be warned spring time is lambing season, farmers are more than a little edgy this time of year, and to a point understandably so if you have a dog.

That said it can bring out a rare breed of country loon also, especially in the British country side.

Only this week past I my wife and brother were accosted by some bloody nutjob with a rifle on his shoulder and accused of "hunting my dog" on his land.

Now I will admit that I had totally by accident strayed about a hundred yards from the designated footpath but we were still in the same field as the path and there were no livestock around. Something I always check before I enter any rural field or area. Because I am aware of the dangers a dog can present to live stock.

However I had my dog under control and immediately apologised for my accidental trespass and I also offerd to vacate the land by the swiftest legal route possible if he would point the way, but this joker seemed hell bent on fitting me and my dog up as some sort of rabid menace to nature and claimed he had seen me make a hunting gesture to my dog?

Now I am aware that that kind of accusation can get your dog shot where I come from and as he was armed I suspected this might be his intention so I asked him what he meant by this?

He replied that he had seen me proffer my open palm towards my dog, something I generaly do when he gives me a ball or, as in this case I hand him a treat for returning when called. But in all my time of owning dogs hunting or otherwise I can in all honesty say I have never heard described as a hunting gesture.

Anyway fortunately my dog (an English cocker) at that particular point decided that while we were discussing the finer points of hunting animals and not kicking leaves or throwing sticks or a ball that he would just roll over on his back and bask his balls in the sunshine with his tongue out and as I pointed out was demonstrating all the hunting ability of a bloody hedgehog.

SO with that point now quashed I asked him to point me in the direction of the path from which I had strayed and I would vacate his land and we need converse no longer. Where upon he promptly directed me toward a field full of lambing sheep that I had been trying to avoid and would have done had I known the path continued into that field.

Suffice to say I decided it would be better to return in the direction I had come from via the footpath and will be walking my dog with a suitably higher sense of paranoia in that area in the future if at all.

Mission accomplished from his point of view I guess and a cautionary tale for walkers that may come across an over dressed rifle man on a hot spring afternoon with nothing better to do than make wild accusations to anyone unfortunate enough to wander from the path into his.

Also perhaps one reason why people tend not to feel comfortable going for walks in the country although I will hasten to add that this is only the second time in twenty odd years that I have run into the rare raging rural nutter and they are thankfully few and far between.

Had you been in Scotland that most likely would not have happend, you have access to everything. In Wales, you have access to a lot more free roaming country as well.

Anyway do what I do with my Springer, I got her hooked at retrieving bean bags whilst out walking. She now pays attention to me 100 percent, all the time. Never strays. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Cockers are nice dogs though and rarely go for sheep etc, you just ran into an *******.

Personally I would have asked him what he was doing within 400m of a footpath with a firearm, if it was loaded.

Pirschjaeger
04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
A simple walk through the park (away from cars) is good for every single Human Being.

That's an understatement. It's been proven that walking in nature is when we are most creative. With modern technologies the 'aha' moment is now observable and recordable. It is in nature where we have these with the highest frequency.

Like most men, I am not so good at expressing myself. My wife notices when I've got something on my mind and she'll ask. Honestly, I can say nothing accept for 'Let me think about it'. When I finally realize I can't put it into words, I take her for a walk in the park. Somehow, the words just come and I'm able to express myself.

Fritz

BillyTheKid_22
04-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
Why walk a few miles when you can cruise for 100?

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/productImages/2842-1-3660.jpg



http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif



http://www.ischgl.com/images/content/sommer/big/mountainbiken.jpg



http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I love Mountain Bike!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

Airmail109
04-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by BillyTheKid_22:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HayateAce:
Why walk a few miles when you can cruise for 100?

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/productImages/2842-1-3660.jpg



http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif



http://www.ischgl.com/images/content/sommer/big/mountainbiken.jpg



http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I love Mountain Bike!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Downhilling FTW!

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:

Had you been in Scotland that most likely would not have happend, you have access to everything. In Wales, you have access to a lot more free roaming country as well.

Anyway do what I do with my Springer, I got her hooked at retrieving bean bags whilst out walking. She now pays attention to me 100 percent, all the time. Never strays. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Cockers are nice dogs though and rarely go for sheep etc, you just ran into an *******.

Personally I would have asked him what he was doing within 400m of a footpath with a firearm, if it was loaded.

Well I would give him more credit for having some sense with the rifle than he seemed to give me and he kept it shouldered but If he had pointed that thing at me or the dog he would have been in some serious hot water.

I have and still am going to a great deal of trouble to ensure that my dog (just over a year old now) is both controllable off and on the lead and behaves himself well in the country and I have used dummies and balls and all to make sure he focuses on me but there will always be times when a hare or pheasant, even a deer springs up and catches us unaware and those are the times I am training him for.

Fortunately most times he is so fixated on the scent he never even notices the animal itself and I am happy to keep it that way.

The irony is that I was in the same general area today and as I parked my car up there was this pillock in full camouflage gear with his young daughter carrying what looked like 2.2 scoped rifle in one hand like it was a tommy gun, and he had some sort of a bloody hand gun which he hid somewhere on his person according to my wife. As if that was not bad enough all this while he tried to walk through the woodland on crutches with the presumed intention of 'teaching' her how to shoot.

All on a school holiday Sunday within spitting distance of a busy woodland thorough fare.

No doubt this chap was exactly the kind of fool the other one was looking for? Perhaps they will meet up and we can all read about it in the papers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Airmail109
04-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

Had you been in Scotland that most likely would not have happend, you have access to everything. In Wales, you have access to a lot more free roaming country as well.

Anyway do what I do with my Springer, I got her hooked at retrieving bean bags whilst out walking. She now pays attention to me 100 percent, all the time. Never strays. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Cockers are nice dogs though and rarely go for sheep etc, you just ran into an *******.

Personally I would have asked him what he was doing within 400m of a footpath with a firearm, if it was loaded.

Well I would give him more credit for having some sense with the rifle than he seemed to give me and he kept it shouldered but If he had pointed that thing at me or the dog he would have been in some serious hot water.

I have and still am going to a great deal of trouble to ensure that my dog (just over a year old now) is both controllable off and on the lead and behaves himself well in the country and I have used dummies and balls and all to make sure he focuses on me but there will always be times when a hare or pheasant, even a deer springs up and catches us unaware and those are the times I am training him for.

Fortunately most times he is so fixated on the scent he never even notices the animal itself and I am happy to keep it that way.

The irony is that I was in the same general area today and as I parked my car up there was this pillock in full camouflage gear with his young daughter carrying what looked like 2.2 scoped rifle in one hand like it was a tommy gun, and he had some sort of a bloody hand gun which he hid somewhere on his person according to my wife. As if that was not bad enough all this while he tried to walk through the woodland on crutches with the presumed intention of 'teaching' her how to shoot.

All on a school holiday Sunday within spitting distance of a busy woodland thorough fare.

No doubt this chap was exactly the kind of fool the other one was looking for? Perhaps they will meet up and we can all read about it in the papers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if it was shouldered, he should have been nowhere near a footpath.

LOL handgun? you have some nutters round there wheredya live....Hereford http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ?

I had similar problems to you when I was training my Spaniel, I actually got a GPS tag for her because she belted off for 4 hours and had me worrying no end. She's never done it since, and she's got to the age where they suddenly calm down now.

Aaron_GT
04-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Most likely and air rifle and air pistol. Perfectly good for shooting at birds with.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
yeah that did occur to me later I guess I must still be a bit twitchy after my run in with rambo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

They probably were air powered, however if it 'was' an air rifle it was powerful enough to warrant a scope and therefore was probably over the 12lb's spring tension limit and would requires a licence in the UK as its still considered a fire arm by the law.

Either way he picked a bad bloody spot to go stalking birdies and either one would get you shot first by any armed police man these days.

The guy that challenged me was definitely packing powder not puff and I don't think he would care whether it was an air rifle or pistol any way.

I have no problem with hunters I just feel strongly that there is a right and a wrong way to behave when you have a tool that is capable of killing and that applies to ranting at strangers with a rifle and pissing about with air weapons in woods with public access.

Airmail109
04-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I've head shot a pigeon at 80 yards with a scoped 12 ft/lb .177 air rifle.

Thats beside the point, your right. You need permision from the police to fire a firearm within 400M of roads and footpaths etc, although I think theres an allowance for shooting your air rifle (classed as a firearm just not section 1) in you back harden as long as you have a backstop. Something to that extent anyway, I cannot remember the details.

You must have adequate reason to be carrying an air rifle in public, eg to a shooting range. It must be in a bag, the magazine must be separate and there should be no ammunition in the magazine or in the chamber.

You know once I saw some of the private schoolers round here walking to their shooting range with semi-auto training SA-80s, with the mags in...just walking down the street....right past a police station...no joke...at one point walking past them the muzzles were aiming at me....no on purpose but still...I was a bit pissed

Being a ragamufin...I'd get shot within 30 seconds of being outside that police station with a black supersoaker

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
Being a ragamufin...I'd get shot within 30 seconds of being outside that police station with a black supersoaker

Lmao and rightly so as my dad likes to say it may not kill you but it can give you a nasty suck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

enough thread jack

On the subject of powah walkers that sh1t always looked kinda painful to me I dont trust em http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

PBNA-Boosher
04-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I do a ton of walking every day, and actually haven't stepped foot in a car since the end of Spring Break, when i drove back to school. In high school I walked home every day - The two miles were worth it and it was fun, even at night.

steiner562
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:

Now I am aware that that kind of accusation can get your dog shot where I come from and as he was armed I suspected this might be his intention so I asked him what he meant by this?

Anyway fortunately my dog (an English cocker) at that particular point decided that while we were discussing the finer points of hunting animals and not kicking leaves or throwing sticks or a ball that he would just roll over on his back and bask his balls in the sunshine with his tongue out and as I pointed out was demonstrating all the hunting ability of a bloody hedgehog.

Haha quality read mate sounds like my GermanShep on one of his good days trying to chase his tail.

Aaron_GT
04-21-2008, 05:11 AM
I have no problem with hunters I just feel strongly that there is a right and a wrong way to behave when you have a tool that is capable of killing and that applies to ranting at strangers with a rifle

The farmer was probably carrying a 410 single barreled shotgun, quite favoured by farmers for rooking.

When did you encounter the farmer? If it was slightly before, during, or after lambing I can understand him being overzealous. Even so, not much fun for you, and I still think walking, especially in the countryside, is good for you, it might just need dogs to be on leads in spring on agricultural land.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
It was last wednesday afternoon and it was as I said well clear of any sheep although there were some pheasant pens nearby but the dog and I stay well clear of those as the last time he got too close he got a jolt off the electric fence the game keepers had put round them (a valuable lesson learned for him although a bit on the painfull side)

If it was a shotty it was the first one I have ever seen fitted with a scope? He had a stalkers stick with him as well which I guess was for resting on when aiming so my money is on rifle.

Besides this guy was more game hunter than farmer, in my experience farmers don't tend to waste time with accusations and just tell you to bugger off.

He was probably looking for foxes or some other 'vermin' but he found me instead.

If he had simply said your off the path mate and could you keep your dog on a lead there are sheep in the next field I would have had no issue with him whatsoever but it was the accusation of hunting and his unnecessarily aggressive tone that bothered me gun or no gun.

anyhow it will soon be autumn and he can start blasting the **** outta the wild life again and blow of some of that pent up aggression he seemed to have a surplus of.

I guess its been a pretty wet shooting season just gone and birds dont like to fly when their feathers are damp and punters don't like to shoot in the rain either so I guess business was slow and he will be hoping his birds have lots of chicks this year to compensate for the loss of income.

I think half his problem was he saw me in baseball cap and jeans and t-shirt not barber coat and wellies and thought aha he aint dressed right for the country I bet he is up to no good.

Book cover and the judging off me thinks.

I Sill I look forward to getting my holiday in Scotland this year where at least I just have to keep an eye on my dog and not some loon lurking in the woodland with a boundary fixation.

Any way happy trails wherever you roam folks and if this serves as a cautionary reminder that its prudent to be considerate of livestock when your near it then mission accomplished.

SeaFireLIV
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I heard that the countryside does create a few `unique individual` types. At least that was my impression with some of the characters in Devonshire (I`d say `shire` in that ooh-ahh way, but it don`t translate too well here...)

I think it`s all that isolation...

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh arye shall be fine so long as ye don't stray from the path http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif Course if you were to go tother side o yon bushes for a slaaash.

Well now then that would be an all together different kettle of cobs and young ploppy here would be forced to give e a a new learnin with his shiny learning stick!

Course that would be after he turns off the battery to the electric fence you just went an welded your tadger too and after we finished laughing are arses off

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
lol