PDA

View Full Version : Help learning TIR!

cueceleches
01-28-2005, 02:30 AM
Hi!

I just would like to know which aircraft do you think is the easiest one to learn TIR. I´m still getting used to it, but I would like to start a campaign in FR, but I don´t really know which aircraft I should start with.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

UKPsycho
01-28-2005, 05:43 AM
I got my TIR 3 about a month ago, for me, the easiest plane to use while getting used to TIR was a Me-262 - great visibility all round to get used to moving your head the whole 270', good flight control panel too. Plus pushing the throttle forward can get you out of trouble when you inevitably become disorientated (until you get used to it). Have a go! Let us know what you think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

VF-29_Sandman
01-28-2005, 05:45 AM
a/c that has alot of visibility would be a start. brewsters and f2-a's have great all-around visibility. also the zero's and yak's.

worst visibilites are: corsair, hellcat to the rear, to the sides/below in p-38's; but the 38 has excellent forward, top view.

tir isnt all that to get used to. u just have to use ur eyes and not ur head when linin up shots.

cueceleches
01-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys! I was also thinking of the P39/P63. It looks like it has quite good visibility all around. What do you think?

superjohnny
01-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Got my TIR a couple of weeks ago and must admit felt travel sick after the first few goes and thought it was impossible to use. HOWEVER once I had experimented with the different tracking options (I find progressive the most natural) and worked out when to move my head and when to use my eyes it suddenley became the most natural thing in the world to use.

Added advantages to of freeing up the hat switch controls and also the joystick buttons I used to use for padlock and look straight ahead. Never need to touch the keyboard anymore.

What a fabulous tool, to anyone who hasn't got one, get one it will change your life.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-28-2005, 05:58 AM
The "cobra" family has that top bar because of the "car-door" used to get into it, but otherwise not bad.

I'd recommend an A6M, Yak, P-51

Tallyho1961
01-28-2005, 06:17 AM
P-80 Shooting Star is also a good choice if you're looking for visibility.

You'll find that it doesn't take much time to get accustomed to TIR. I had the temporary disorientation thing for an hour, or two, max.

Once you get over it - and it's really just a question of getting accustomed to the fact that head movement is now part of the sim - you will find it is an entirely effortless piece of equipment to use. You will also wonder how anybody can possibly fly without one.

Setting up a comfortable profile is another small hurdle. Use the ones that come with the software or download IL2 profiles from the NaturalPoint site. I started with a profile by Charvel - which felt pretty good - then tweaked it to where I felt great.

Last week I switched to version 4 of the TIR software and discovered my version 3 profile was unusable. Bummer, I thought - then selected one of the IL2 profiles that come with the software and I took to it right away - no modifications necessary. I guess that means NP is getting better at creating profiles.

VF-29_Sandman
01-28-2005, 06:40 AM
besides a beefy computer, tir is 1 of THE most primary essential components. now u'll be able to be a better wingman http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Smidlee
01-28-2005, 07:23 AM
I use the default profile with the dot on the tip of my hat. Just like learning to use the mouse with my left hand , it take time to learn to use TIR naturally. I'm getting better scanning the skies with TIR so I'm using the mouse less and less when I'm not engaged in battle.

cueceleches
01-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks gals! I think I´ll go for the P39/63. I´ve made some tests and it seems an easy plane to start with. I used to be rather good at it with cockpit off. Let´s see now!