PDA

View Full Version : My first patrol completed!

gazpode_l
05-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Overall pretty pleased! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif
en route to my patrol I encountered a lone coastal merchant, belonging to a neautral country! I sunk it anyway! Met another near my patrol area and sunk that too!

Then I decided to select salvo mode, leaving all doors open ready for firing..Decided to shoot at a large convoy I could barely see for 10-20ft waves, and forgot salvo was on! WOOPS http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

two outa the four I launched hit. Out of the nine or ten torpedoes I launched I'd say I scored a DIRECT hit with most!

Then found all I had left was rearward torpedoes! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

so time to head back. Total tonnage around 13,000aprox....

Started and am midway through my second patrol, been in patrol area for 24hrs, but thus far have only encountered 1 coastal merchant which I sunk.

geoffwessex
05-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Where was your patrol area. what type of boat, and what date? With those Neutrals, you may have just started the Second World War.

gazpode_l
05-29-2007, 09:16 AM
I had started in kiel and it's october 1939 or 40..can't remember but am sure it's 39.

I'm with the 7th flot operating a VII version uboat.

Jaste07
05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Your first patrol was better than mine, I got absolutely nothing. Same for the second patrol. By the third I was so anxious for some action I decided to try and sneak into Gibralter. Yeah, that worked out reeeaaal well. Managed to make it into the port ok, found some DDs and a cruiser sitting there. Took out the cruiser and 2 DD's. That stirred up a hornets nest of pissed off warships. They caught up with me in the strait and put an end to my first, and very short, career.

Starforce3
05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I just had an amazing and unlucky 13th. Went to Iceland, tried to invade the harbor there and didn't make it, so I dove into a bay, to try and shell it 2500m over land. Big mistake. An aux cruiser and 3 DD's fired at me. So I went back the way I came and had a 15 minute shell exchange with an armed tug that positioned itself over the sandbarr and ran aground. I finaly blew him up, and dove to wait for dusk and took on a V&W, giving him some heavy damage. A Hunt II and armed tug came up the bay next. I did a run around with him, missing 2 shots on the tug, one of which nearly hit the Hunt. I let the tug go and got depth charged. Hit the bottom. Made repairs. The Tug gave up, the Hunt still searching. I got myself into position, low on crew (5 high exp PO's killed at the deck gun) So playing the crew juggle. Set off the depth under keel ping and cut engines. The destroyer, circling to find the source of the ping drove right into the path of my aft torp, this time I finaly got a Magnetic to work, right under him. He was burning and lost power, props hit the bottom but not dead. I turned in a slow turn and gave him another, this time a 1m depth and vaporised his midsection, his gun crew flying from the burning bow. Stern sunk instantly and bow a while later as it floated away.. Made for shore and took out the tug who had also ran aground (night time still). Unfortuneatley this got the beached DD (the v&w) that I had heavily damaged during the day just after blowing up the tug in a shelling battle from 3200 yards (Yes, I was making more hits than he including a hit to his depth charge rack) and the last armed tug to activate their saerchlights. So I made a run around the point and sunk the tug and DD each with a single torp. Began to make my way around the southern coast of iceland where a near hit from a level bomber killed a flack seaman. Once gone, I cranked it up and plotted a course out. Not realising I hda the map zoomed out too far, I had plotted a course right over a tiny island I later plowed into at 18 knotts. If only I had saved. Final tally, 3 armed tugs, a V&W and a Hunt II. I might go back and try again, I might not. There's some large goodies on an island enemy port north of norway where I snuck directly into the habor and put down a whale factory ship. There was other goodies but I was low on fish. I left a large tanker and other items there too.

hueywolf123
05-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Nov '39 for me, but out of W'shaven. Type VIIC, third patrol (this life) as in my previous, I got chopped in the NorthSea by two angry DDs who followed me endlessly till I had to surface, no more fish, no more DG ammo. Gone.
Congrats on your first bud, or should I say Herr Kaleun.
Wishing you all the best on your entire career

Flashmax77
06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Started my first patrol in Brest 1940. Sunk a few small single merchant with my deck gun, before sneeking into a convoy and disabled a C3 Cargo ship and sunk a T2 tanker with a single hit. Then all hell broke loose from a pesty British corvette. That little boat almost sunk my ship. My repair crew was able to pump out the water and stop the leak inside the sonar/radio room. Tower, Deckgun and Flak was also heavily damaged. Finally after an extensive cat& mouse game I managed to escape the corvette. A few hours later I return to the sceen and delivered the death blow to the immobilized C3 cargo ship. Over all I had 36K tonnage sunk, but almost got killed as well. I am impressed about the AI and I am thinking in the later years with Hunter killer groups it will only get worse.

Great game, I love Submarine sims, good job Ubi.

Foehammer-1
06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
The hunter-killer groups do get very nasty. I ran into one in 1942, Bogue Carrier and 4 DD's. Sank the carrier, then spent more than 3 hours game time trying to evade the destroyers, which were either expert or elite. Take caution!

gazpode_l
06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I mentioned my second patrol in the opening post of this thread....Well, I later ran into a few more merchants a bit further towards my patrol area. I expended many torpedoes with only three or four sinkings to my name. It was now time to head home towards keil and then I had a brainwave! I'd call into wilhelmshaven and re-load and head back out again.

Unfortunately after reloading and starting up again, the game treated it as a separate NEW patrol and gave my patrol area as NULL. This meant I was NOW on my THIRD and could go anywhere! so long as I ended up in Keil afterwards. I decided to go-to the opening of the thames estuary and cause trouble around the Southend area. About 18 hrs shy of my destination my lookouts spotted a lone merchant.

Flank speed was ordered and I chased him down on the surface, firing off two torpedoes, both missed as I was looking directly astern of him rather abeam. I circled around for a better shot, by which time I had warnings of a warship contact on hydrophone! to my error, I continued concentrating on the merchant and out of the corner of my eye when looking at the TDC to plan another shot, I noticed a destroyer on an attack run gaining FAST

"CRASH DIVE!" I screamed at my crew and we dove to 28m before bouncing off the bottom into a depth charge. Repairs were carried out. Before long I was being harrased by three of 'em and I eventually ended bieng killed due to mas flooding!

Aw well.
Such is life. guess these are the sort of foes that U-boats dealt with!

gazpode_l
06-05-2007, 03:58 AM
despite being sunk in my last attempt at patrol3, the game last night let me sign in as my name and reload that patrol from near the start. I once again cruised to the area of southend and met and sunk the same costal merchant I sunk in my previous attempt.

Later on my birthday (19/11) in 1939, I encountered another merchant near southend which I can't HONESTLY remember how I sunk it, but it was mentioned on my log. I then had a destroyer go down in front of me after colliding with me, and caught a destroyer with a torpedo after missing with 5 or 6 other attempts.

I spent the last 10 mins of last night's session cruising back to base thinking i'd earn extra points for sailing back, but now turns out you don't!