PDA

View Full Version : which joystick to buy

vladward3050
12-25-2004, 04:24 PM
I have recently been looking into buying a new joystick, but I'm not sure which would be the best to fly pf/fb with. I'm considering buying either a CH combat stick with pedals or a Saitek X45 or the new X52 I think it's called. Any advice from community members owning these products would be greatly appreciated.

FoolTrottel
12-25-2004, 04:26 PM
I do not own any of mentioned products...
But I do have rudder pedals.
I'd say, go for pedals.
Using your feet to control rudder means you can do more with your hands... and it's 'natural' as aircraft do have them....

sauron6
12-25-2004, 04:38 PM
What equipment do you have now, and what are you used to? If you like twisty sticks, X52 is the obvious choice. If you want HOTAS, no pedals, and despise twistysticks, then you can settle for the X45. If you like HOTAS+Pedals, the CH Combatsick or TM Cougar are the ticket.

vladward3050
12-25-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm used to the logitech type twist sticks but I despise the fact that they always get off center due to the twist. I've tried a great deal to work this out by fooling with axis dead zones and sensitivities but I can never seem to get the stick to center right. The CH products joystick is tempting because it has trim settings on the stick itself, but I don't know if it is worth all the money.

Tully__
12-25-2004, 05:28 PM
If the cost of the CH Products set is not too high, choose those. If you need something cheaper, the choice between the Saitek X-45 and Saitek X-52 should be based on a choice between the rocker rudder control on the X-45 and the twist stick rudder of the X-52.

sauron6
12-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I wish all sticks had trim like that, even non-contact ones (which don't use pots); wired (or programmed) in parallel is just fine by me.

Zen--
12-25-2004, 07:02 PM
I use the CH Fighterstick USB and love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it

AtorianPaladin
12-25-2004, 07:35 PM
THe X52 has the 3D twist? my logiteck totally went kaput with PF. Im either thinking about the X45 or the X52, are both twisty sticks? plz tell me the dif ohh great sauron, failed ,aster of middle earth.

Ohh, if ur a hard core fan, u cannot call urself one without possesing ROTK extended edition.

TAW_BlueDevil
12-25-2004, 07:42 PM
As the wise Tully stated in his post above, the primary difference between the X45 and the X52 is the fact that the X52 has the twist stick rudder configuration that many people prefer, whereas the X45 uses a rocker switch under the throttle for rudder control.

Bearcat99
12-26-2004, 07:40 AM
If you are planning to get rudder pedals in the future then you might want to stick with the X45 and use the rudder rocker on there as a switch say for flaps. The X45s are decent sticks IMO and with a replacement plan more than worth it.

AtorianPaladin
12-26-2004, 04:48 PM
ok,so other then the rudder differences, whats the replacement plan, i also heard: One last thing: If you are using a USB hub that derives its power from the computer, your new Saitek joystick WILL NOT FUNCTION when plugged into that hub. I have a good Linksys USB hub that says it derives power from the computer, but also comes with an external supply. The Saitek would NOT work unless the external power was plugged in.

Umm, what exactly does this mean, my USB is located in front and rear ports of my tower, does this include me? and also the same reviewer mentioned probs with the drivers, im sure they have been resolved though.