PDA

View Full Version : OT: Stay off the coca cola guys

Airmail109
09-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Im a healthy individual. But recently I noticed Id go shaky when I drank coke.

I just had a pint of it at the pub with my dad as I didnt feel like drinking booze. Then had a seizure.

Im gonna ask for a CT scan to make sure its not anything else. But my advice to you guys would be to stay off the stuff. Im guessing the aspartame in it set it off.

There goes my chance of ever becoming a pilot. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
09-02-2007, 03:11 PM
You should check your blood sugar.

Any coke primarily consists of water and sugar. If you have a lot of stress or another illness, it may cause such symptoms.

Another big factor is your body mass. If you are too slim or to fat, you may run into problems sooner or later, consuming that much sugar.

A simple blood-test should show that, though.

Airmail109
09-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:

Any coke primarily consists of water and sugar. If you have a lot of stress or another illness, it may cause such symptoms.

Another big factor is your body mass. If you are too slim or to fat, you may run into problems sooner or later, consuming that much sugar.

Doctor seemed to think it was an allergic reaction. My vision went....in fact ill give a description...I felt fine then BANG...it was like a real REAL bad head rush and my vision went totally opaque...instantly....and my whole body convulsed....then it subsided in an insant and happend 5 more times over 10 minutes. In between it felt like i was in a storm n the high seas....i developed a rash all over my body...and my whole neck went stiff and hot whilst my extremities went really cold

Honestly it was the scariest thing ive ever expirenced...my whole brain felt like it had be overloaded with just random ****

Im not thin or fat either, Im toned but with a healthy amount of body fat

Thx anyway loneranger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, much appreciated.

MEGILE
09-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Soft Drinks are the devil.

Unfortunately I find myself reaching for the coke after the cycle to the gym. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I don't suppose I am in a high risk category for diabetes, and considering the amount of milk I drink I'm sure my calcium stores are sufficiently replenished.
But still, stay away from the stuff

Bremspropeller
09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Everytime you stare at boobs, coke kills a kitten.

Airmail109
09-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Sorry if my spellings worse than usual (is that possible) im high on all sorts of anti-inflammatorys and steroids the hospital gave me

staticline1
09-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Airmail whats with the meds if I may ask? Hope its not an autoimmune disease, I feel you if it is but either way its still best to stay away from the soft drinks.

PBNA-Boosher
09-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Do what I do gents! Replace soda with club soda/seltzer (just plain carbonated water). If you want flavor, squeeze an orange or lemon over it and drink. After a while you won't need the extra flavor, and after a while you won't want the bubbles either. Yeah, I go for a soda occasionally, but the majority of the time it's water or unsweetened iced tea for me.

Bremspropeller
09-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I drink tap water most of the time.

SeaFireLIV
09-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I drink coca cola about once a year... and even that I consider too much.

Airmail109
09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by staticline1:
Airmail whats with the meds if I may ask? Hope its not an autoimmune disease, I feel you if it is but either way its still best to stay away from the soft drinks.

I had 3 times the dosage of antihistamine and a large dose of steroids, one makes you light headed, dizzy and drousy the other makes you manic.

No he didnt think It was an autoimmune disease and I doubt it is. It fits the bill of Anaphylactic shock

But as I said Im going to go for follow ups to rule out any other causes

carguy_
09-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Aren`t you "the sky is falling" guy?Wouldn`t want to believe any warning of yours.

Been drinkin sugarless Pepsi ever since I remember, a minimum of 0,5L per day.

The biggest set of illness I had since 2003 was catching a cold.Blame Pepsi for that if you want.

fordfan25
09-02-2007, 04:22 PM
i kill a 12 pack of pepsi every day. in fact i go months with out drinking anything but. but yea i agree 1 coke is 1 coke to much. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Airmail109
09-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by carguy_:
Aren`t you "the sky is falling" guy?Wouldn`t want to believe any warning of yours.

The biggest set of illness I had since 2003 was catching a cold.Blame Pepsi for that if you want.

Dont care what you think. I felt perfectly fine, then it happend and now I feel fine again. "Colds" dont just suddenly happen, did you know lots of people can die from eating nuts, wheat or being stung by bees? Ill believe a doctor over you! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DuxCorvan
09-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Coke Light also got me sick. My transaminase levels did bang a year ago or so. They just went up and up indicating liver damage. I was examined exhaustively and had no alcohol effects, no hypertrophia, no cancer, no cirrhosis, no hepatitis, no 'greasy' liver... they were clueless.

I had an intuition. As soon as I gave up Coke, it all got back to OK levels, in a few weeks.

Man, I don't what it is, but it random f*cks you, that's sure.

Waldo.Pepper
09-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Imported from China perchance?

(I am not normally reactionary/xenophobic by nature, so forgive me.)

WarWolfe_1
09-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I broke myself of DrPepper after the first of the year, I've had maybe 8 since then. I drink only water now, maybe a beer two in the evening after work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

On the whole I feel much better now.

Taylortony
09-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Eat Menthos and drink diet Coke........

Seriously DO NOT DO THE ABOVE if indoubt about what I mean, check out those to substances on youtube.

Bremspropeller
09-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Tony, callin for raaaid, huh?

Viper2005_
09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Diet or normal?

Airmail109
09-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
Diet or normal?

Normal, I never asked for diet. It was poured from one of those mixing machines behind the bar

MaxMhz
09-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:

Doctor seemed to think it was an allergic reaction. My vision went....in fact ill give a description...I felt fine then BANG...it was like a real REAL bad head rush and my vision went totally opaque...instantly....and my whole body convulsed....then it subsided in an insant and happend 5 more times over 10 minutes. In between it felt like i was in a storm n the high seas....i developed a rash all over my body...and my whole neck went stiff and hot whilst my extremities went really cold

Honestly it was the scariest thing ive ever expirenced...my whole brain felt like it had be overloaded with just random ****

Thx anyway loneranger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a type 2 diabetic; you can get the shakes if your blood sugar is off, but from what you describe I would ask your GP for a referal to a neurologist just to be on the safe side. sooner is better in this case. It sounds too much like a TIA to me. You don't want to end up with one or more CVA's like me - you won't like it. visit that GP again ASAP The necessary examinations are a piece of cake.

I hope everything goes well for you.

MaX

neural_dream
09-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by fordfan25:
i kill a 12 pack of pepsi every day. in fact i go months with out drinking anything but. but yea i agree 1 coke is 1 coke to much. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
And you're alive? Impressed.

joeap
09-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Hmmmm none of us are doctors, but that also might mean the whole Coke thing was just a coincidence?? I mean lots of folks drink a bit with no problems. Or it could just be an allergic reaction, seriously I hope you are ok. I will give this bit of unwanted advice, I know it was normal coke but seriously I stay away from the diet stuff. Sugar or nothing, better nothing. Or a bit of syrup (Southern European thing) with lots of water.

Bremspropeller
09-02-2007, 04:46 PM
http://www.studentcents.co.uk/images/cherry.jpg

G0t ya pillz?

Airmail109
09-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MaxMhz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:

Thx anyway loneranger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a type 2 diabetic; you can get the shakes if your blood sugar is off, but from what you describe I would ask your GP for a referal to a neurologist just to be on the safe side. sooner is better in this case. It sounds too much like a TIA to me. You don't want to end up with one or more CVA's like me - you won't like it. visit that GP again ASAP The necessary examinations are a piece of cake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah ill be seeing the GP very soon. Thx anyway! Personally I think it was a sudden drop pressure associated with the allergic shock. But yes, Ill definately be going ASAP.

R_Target
09-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I had 3 times the dosage of antihistamine and a large dose of steroids, one makes you light headed, dizzy and drousy the other makes you manic.

Now you're ready for the Tour De France. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Diet-Coke uses a sugar substitute. That itself has been prooven to be cancerogen.

But even worse: The substitute makes the body think there is sugar coming and insulin is produced. But then, there is no sugar and too much free insulin is as bad as to little insulin.

Apart from the danger of running into diabetes here, too, you'll get a massive carving for sugar-containing food or food with much fat. Surely not what you think of when reading DIET-coke...

VW-IceFire
09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
For years I haven't been able to drink Diet Coke or diet anything soft drink wise. I specifically ask for regular <insert softdrink here> whenever I order one from a restaurant. Aspartame does a number on my digestive system and in general its bad for you anyways so its best to stay away from it.

My thoughts are...if you want to drink Coke...drink the non-diet stuff and just don't drink allot of it. All of the stuff they use to get around sugar and calories and the like are worse than the sugar and calories. Thats my thoughts anyways.

Drink water instead. If you don't like water...find something fruity without too much sugar. But stick with the real stuff. Your body can deal with it...not so much with the artificial.

Jediteo
09-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I drink cola occasionally (actually I am drinking a glass of it right now) and keep the the regular stuff, but most of the time, I drink Milk and Juice (orange/apple). I never drink or eat anything diet. I eat loads of food, but still dont weigh more than 60kg. But that may be because I'm still growing (18 yrs)

Flying_Nutcase
09-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Until earlier this year, I had a 'free' Coke at a little restaurant I frequent. Now I have a 'free' bowl of miso soup instead. Quite a good trade, I think!

When I went to my doctor for a general last month, they had a presentation sheet on the wall showing how much sugar there is in Coke, sports drinks, energy drinks etc. That put me off 100%. Off a lot of sweet food too. I'm drinking a lot more water now, and enjoying it.

Stuff Coke et al, had enough. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

BaldieJr
09-02-2007, 08:05 PM
aspartame is pure evil. avoid it at all cost.

soft drinks without aspartame are equally bad. water follows salt. now read the label. are you quenching thirst or prolonging it? our bodies can take a lot of punishment and its a good thing because we sure like dishing it upon ourselves.

in the US you can reverse a lot of ill effects in the brain by using piracetam with choline (over the counter and cheap via bulk nutrition places). a few months of the stuff will erase many years of self inflicted brain damage. if it weren't for artificial sweeteners i think we wouldn't need additional assistance.

and sugar isn't much better. i'm no chemist but i've got a theory about the makeup of refined sugar that goes something like this: it causes cell damage.

drink more water. it helps keep the human machine running.

Dagnabit
09-02-2007, 08:33 PM
There are any number of horror stories associated with aspertane, the artificial sweetner. My Sister brought me an article on it a few years back when I was diagnosed as being diabetic, and had switched to diet sodas. Formaldehyde is just one of the toxins/byproducts that that breakdown in your system. It is better to use the sugared variety if you must drink a soda.
And I hardly think the sky was falling the day that you became sick.
From the symptoms you described it does sound like you were either in shock,or nearly so..Being in shock as many of us know can lead to death very quickly. Anyone flaming/badgering you on a post like this shows a real lack of character, and no empathy at all.
In an case I hope youre ok, and that it isnt something that is going to remain a problem for you.

Dag

Von_Rat
09-02-2007, 09:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Viper2005_:
Diet or normal?

Normal, I never asked for diet. It was poured from one of those mixing machines behind the bar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

possibly it was contaminated if that machine wasnt kept clean.

amilaninia
09-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Knowledge is power, and as for food and health concerns, I strongly suggest you read the book entitled Natural Cures"They"¯Don't Want You to Know About by Kevin Trudeau. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
http://www.naturalcures.com/

Rjel
09-02-2007, 09:54 PM
9 out of 10 IL2'ers agree...... stay away from Coke. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Friendly_flyer
09-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by carguy_:

If it is an allergic reaction (his doctor seems to think so, and he's the professional), it can come suddenly and without warning, particularly if it is a not-too-healthy substance you have been ingesting for years. The contents of Cola originally came from the coca-plant, and were parts of the plants herbivore protection system. It can't be the healthiest of substances. Also, allergic reactions strike some and not others. It's like with bee-stings, some get very ill, others can get stung every day of their life and eventually get so used to it they don't even feel pain. This means you can drink your pint of Pepsi every day and never suffer an ill effect, or may be unlucky and in no time find yourself in Amails predicament.

Most people develop the allergy a bit slower than Amail though. The body has a wonderful warning system called "taste"¯. If you one day find yourself not liking the taste of something you have enjoyed all your life, chances are it's the body telling you it's time to lay off.

Personally I never developed a taste for Coce, I do what PBNA-Boosher do and stick to carbonated water.

leitmotiv
09-03-2007, 12:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:

Dont care what you think. I felt perfectly fine, then it happend and now I feel fine again. "Colds" dont just suddenly happen, did you know lots of people can die from eating nuts, wheat or being stung by bees? Ill believe a doctor over you! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't pay attention to the gaff from those who are, at this point, well. Allergies are commoner than ever before in human history, and those who get clouted by them, and I am one, are the canaries in the coal mine. I happily guzzled Coke for years and gave it up because, otherwise, I'd look like an Upkeep bomb. I happily guzzled mass quants of beer and smoked like a house afire until allergies forced a behavior change.

Before you get too sick, and, before the doctors cream your immune system with their horrendous drugs, go to an excellent homeopath. Homeopathy can work wonders if you haven't clobbered your immune system with drugs. I was pumped up with cortisone and antibiotics for years and now my immune system is in terrible shape. Good luck, Ace, and take care.

cawimmer430
09-03-2007, 02:36 AM
I never drink regular Coke. When I need the coke taste I drink Coke Light or Coke Zero, but that's rarely since aspartame has been proven to cause brain tumors. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

ViktorViktor
09-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Don't they make soft drinks which are supposed to be actually healthy for you ? Is Gatorade still around ?

Quenaelin
09-03-2007, 04:20 AM
I have always been drinking only normal sugar filled Coca-Cola or Pepsi. I haven't drinked these non-sugar diet aspartam junks at all. Sometimes I add some water if I feel it should be lighter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ploughman
09-03-2007, 04:38 AM
If I drink Diet Coke I start speaking in tongues and bouncing off the ceiling. Good stuff.

Monterey13
09-03-2007, 06:44 AM
I've worked a lot of ambulance calls, and I've never seen anyone allergic to Coke before, but it's certainly possible. Were you eating peanuts or anything else while sitting at the bar? As was said before, the equipment could have been contaminated also, or it could have been that the glass wasn't properly rinsed, and you were allergic to the cleaning solution. Specific allergies are so hard to track down.

Next time, stick to the beer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Airmail109
09-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Monterey13:
I've worked a lot of ambulance calls, and I've never seen anyone allergic to Coke before, but it's certainly possible. Were you eating peanuts or anything else while sitting at the bar? As was said before, the equipment could have been contaminated also, or it could have been that the glass wasn't properly rinsed, and you were allergic to the cleaning solution. Specific allergies are so hard to track down.

Next time, stick to the beer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

No mate, hadnt been eating any peanuts. Yeah the equipment may have been contaminated, dont know. Anyway at the moment Im somewhat Irritated, the hospital didnt feel it necessary to give me a blood test to confirm anaphylactic shock. Oh well. Made an appointment for my GP, hope she'll be more usefull.

Yeah I will stick to the beer! Haha

danjama
09-03-2007, 08:17 AM
i love coke, if its bad for me i dont care, im young and im fit and it tastes nice

nowadays i drink mostly lucozade orange though

heywooood
09-03-2007, 08:46 AM
in the USA people eat and drink way too much of the wrong stuff...because it tastes good.

Soda pop and beer and the newest latest scourge, especially at the work place, 'energy drinks' which are no more than a caffeine and sugar cocktail with enough of both of those ingredients per serving to kill a small animal - are responsable for not just sickness but the untimely deaths of thousands of people every year...

Drink water - three quarts a day - and eat fruits and vegetables (raw vegetables) as much as possible...leave processed or fast food alone forever...and don't fry anything.

Got a guy at work that keeled over the other day...dude likes to get his drink on every night after work...then drag his sorry hung over a$$ to work and load up on energy drinks (Monster is the brand I think)...to make it through the day, been going like this for about three or four months now....
So along about 10 or 11 am he starts shaking, eyes roll up and down he goes... Well - dudes got a heart condition now if he didn't before and is being tested for the diabetes as well.

Coke has been around forever - so has beer and these enrgy drinks aren't going away anytime soon, but like everything else - you have to use common sense and moderation.

good luck

tsisqua
09-03-2007, 08:58 AM
This is serious bussiness here.

"Phynylketoneurics . . . " you will find, on the label of a diet/light softdrink. Along with a serious warning. This is aspartame. It is safe for most people who eat healthy and have no health problems.

The warning is that some people, a great minority, will have life-threatening reactions to this particular sugar substitute. Obviously, that is whar Aimail's doctor believes, and he is the professional.

If you've never had a reaction to aspartame, and have used it for some time, its probably ok.

Aimail . . . listen to your Doc, Sir.

Just happy that you are OK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Tsisqua

Airmail109
09-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by danjama:
i love coke, if its bad for me i dont care, im young and im fit and it tastes nice

nowadays i drink mostly lucozade orange though

So am I. Neither did I drink it often

neural_dream
09-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by heywooood:
in the USA people eat and drink way too much of the wrong stuff...
Whenever I fly to the States I'm offered little candies and chocolate bars and doritos and all the **** you can imagine for snack!!! What's wrong with a sandwich or a local delicacy like in all flights in the rest of the civilised world. As if it isn't enough of an insult that I have to pay for wine!

Warrington_Wolf
09-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Thx anyway loneranger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some of your symptoms sound similar to a severe migraine attack. Contrary to popular belief a migraine can sometime be more than just a headache, some migraine sufferers see auras, flashing lights, zigzag lines and various other visual disruptions. Various other symptoms can happen including nausea, stiffness in the neck area and vertigo.
Common causes of migraine attacks are alcohol (you said that you were not drinking any so we can rule that out) and caffine (cola is filled with tons of caffine).

More info on causes of migraine
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=248&sectionId=5

Symptoms
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=248&sectionId=10

Treatment
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=248&sectionId=11

Prevention
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=248&sectionId=9

Hope that this helps.

Zeus-cat
09-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Drink water - three quarts a day

That's a bit much. One quart a day would be sufficient for most people, plus about another quart from the food you eat.

Airmail109
09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I just got off the phone with a neurologist who seemed a bit pissed off that the doctors at the hospital I went to just assumed an allergy. According to him it could be something like a severe migraine attack like you just mentioned, or a host of other things and warranted a full checkup with a neurologist.

Never trust doctors, I have yet to see my gp though whos great.

mortoma
09-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Enough of the alleged dangers of aspartame and the so-called "proof" of it causing cancer or anything else for that matter. There is no proof out there or it would be taken off the market in a multitude of countries. Please stop believing everything you read. They inject stuff like that into mice and other animals at about 2000 times the amount you'd get in a lifetime of consuming the stuff. That much of <span class="ev_code_RED">anything</span> would cause cancer, including plain, pure water. All these studies by unversities and clinics/laboratories are little but scare tactics to get them future funding. If aspartame had any effects, I'd be showing them considering how much of it I have consumed in my lifetime. I'm 49 and I'm just as sharp as a razor, and as sharp as any of the much younger crowd I work with. And any time I take an I.Q. test I score as highly as I ever did in my younger days.

Did you ever notice that a few years ago it was being said that drinking a little alcohol was good for you?? Now it's bad for you again. Don't trust anything you read ever. One month tomatoes prevent colon cancer, the next they are useless. I've had enough of this junk.
Anything I read is with a grain of salt these days.

neural_dream
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I just got off the phone with a neurologist who seemed a bit pissed off that the doctors at the hospital I went to just assumed an allergy. According to him it could be something like a severe migraine attack like you just mentioned, or a host of other things and warranted a full checkup with a neurologist.

Never trust doctors, I have yet to see my gp though whos great.
I wanted to say severe migraine attack, but since I'm not a doctor I refrained from saying it, but it seems it would be a valid suggestion.

mortoma
09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
By the way Aimail101, hope you feel better soon. Whether it's caused by aspartame or whatever. Personally, I bet it had nothing to do with anything you ate or drank. But I ain't no doctor, so we'll leave it to them.

Stew278
09-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
Enough of the alleged dangers of aspartame and the so-called "proof" of it causing cancer or anything else for that matter. There is no proof out there or it would be taken off the market in a multitude of countries. Please stop believing everything you read. They inject stuff like that into mice and other animals at about 2000 times the amount you'd get in a lifetime of consuming the stuff. That much of <span class="ev_code_RED">anything</span> would cause cancer, including plain, pure water. All these studies by unversities and clinics/laboratories are little but scare tactics to get them future funding. If aspartame had any effects, I'd be showing them considering how much of it I have consumed in my lifetime. I'm 49 and I'm just as sharp as a razor, and as sharp as any of the much younger crowd I work with. And any time I take an I.Q. test I score as highly as I ever did in my younger days.

Did you ever notice that a few years ago it was being said that drinking a little alcohol was good for you?? Now it's bad for you again. Don't trust anything you read ever. One month tomatoes prevent colon cancer, the next they are useless. I've had enough of this junk.

I mostly agree with this. At the dosages they give those animals many compounds normally considered innocuous would be lethal. However, I would suggest that in most cases the universities and clinics conducting the studies are genuinely interested in whether or not the suspect compounds are dangerous; especially considering the litigation that could result if it does prove to be dangerous after it is sold. I believe it is more the media that latches onto (and perhaps misinterprets) the study results and turns them into scare tactics. Where does the average Joe learn about the dangers of compounds? I seriously doubt they're reading Lancet or the Journal of the Amer. Med. Assoc. to learn this; they're getting it from CNN or MSN or ABC, etc. Those entities are free to put whatever spin on the results they feel will get them viewers. And scaring people works really well. "What you don;t know about ...... might kill you!! Tune in to the 11 o'clock nightly news for more details."

Someone can release a study showing any compound might be dangerous these days and the burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that it is absolutely safe (which you can't actually do). I've heard it said that if Aspirin were invented today, the FDA would not approve it because it wouldn't pass the safety tests.

And saying that you've consumed aspartame for years without ill effects does not necessarily prove the safety of it. Some people smoke like a chimney yet live to be 90. If I consume soda containing aspartame I get skull splitting headaches every time. You have to look at the statistics over a broad population over a long term to really determine such a thing as safety with any reliability.

But the one thing that really rubs me wrong are the people that assume every synthetic or processed compound is bad for you, while natural or "organic" things are always safe or better. These are probably the same crowd that assumes if you can't pronounce the name of it, it's bad for you.

So there's misinformation coming from both directions and people just need to use BS filters to sift through it all.

Zeus-cat
09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Don't trust anything you read ever.

I don't trust this!

Copperhead311th
09-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Megile:

Unfortunately I find myself reaching for the coke after the cycle to the gym. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I don't suppose I am in a high risk category for diabetes, and considering the amount of milk I drink I'm sure my calcium stores are sufficiently replenished.

Yup they are the devil. I', a hopless addict. i've tried. and i cant F-ing stop. if you cut me right now i'd bleed Mountian Dew. I'm not kidding. I'd never admit this to anyone....but it's time a came clean about my addcition. I average 12 20.oz mountian dews a day. and i keep 1 2- liter in the fridge at home.
I've tried Propel, love it. but not wvey corner store sells it here. but you can ALWAYS get a Mountian Dew. I swear i think thier are killing me. Mountian Dew and cigerates are my only two true vices in life and both have me hooked like a large mouth bass @ an BassPro tourney.
I have no idea what i can do to break the cycle. 1st thing in the morning i HAVE TO HAVE ONE. i swear to God i'm like a f-ing alcaolic with those things.

Airmail109
09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead311th:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:

Yup they are the devil. I', a hopless addict. i've tried. and i cant F-ing stop. if you cut me right now i'd bleed Mountian Dew. I'm not kidding. I'd never admit this to anyone....but it's time a came clean about my addcition. I average 12 20.oz mountian dews a day. and i keep 1 2- liter in the fridge at home.
I've tried Propel, love it. but not wvey corner store sells it here. but you can ALWAYS get a Mountian Dew. I swear i think thier are killing me. Mountian Dew and cigerates are my only two true vices in life and both have me hooked like a large mouth bass @ an BassPro tourney.
I have no idea what i can do to break the cycle. 1st thing in the morning i HAVE TO HAVE ONE. i swear to God i'm like a f-ing alcaolic with those things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to an addictions clinic, but dont go for that 12 steps leave it to god ****. See a shrink or a behavioral therapist there are also addiction psychiatry services, it'll help you get a lot more control and willpower.

http://www.aaap.org/

You could also look into the physiological side e.g Brain chemistry. To try and get your body better balanced out.

Copperhead311th
09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
in the USA people eat and drink way too much of the wrong stuff...because it tastes good.

...and don't fry anything.

good luck

DUDE! this is ALABAMA! we fry everything! and i do mean EVERYTHING! You name it and we'll fry it. Even freid mushrooms and deep fried pickles. Hell we've even figured out how to fry Ice Cream. no kidding. you can't go any where and i do mean any where in the south eastern US and find something on the menue that isn't fried, deep fried, pan fried ect.
ya wanna eat. ya got one choice. FIRED. :-(

Bremspropeller
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
DUDE! this is ALABAMA! we fry everything! and i do mean EVERYTHING! You name it and we'll fry it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Monterey13
09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
MMMM.....Fried....
Crappie
Bass
Catfish
Bluegill/Bream
Trout
Hushpuppies
Fries
Mushrooms
Cheesesticks
Onion Rings
Hotwings
Chicken

MMMM....Shall I go on?

Bremspropeller
09-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I want a fried donut.

Copperhead311th
09-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
I want a fried donut.

Here's a Kicker for ya. i know of 1 resturant here in town that serves "Twice Fried Tomatoes"
that Maters in southern speak. bascicaly they take a green tomatoe, slice it up, bater it in beer batter, deep fry it, dip in in beer batter & crumbled tatter chips and then pan fry it.

Bremspropeller
09-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Can I eat that without needing a surgeon at your local medicine-man afterwards? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

GAU-8
09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
i consume almost 24 cans of texas' best drink (DR. PEPPER) a day.

been doin so since i was 18. (34 now)

funny, im fine..but if i happen to have any "new" kind of sugar replacement cola, or one of the "energy" drink type stuff...my body is going wacko, shakes an stuff.like a meltdown. i cant handle that stuff. something says "no way man...listen to me (your stomach) i dont like this sht your drinkin!

Copperhead311th
09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
Can I eat that without needing a surgeon at your local medicine-man afterwards? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
No. we actually have some of the finest doctors in the world here. Unforutianly they cannot seem to change the rather backwards dietary habbits of the local populace. (myslef included)

Bremspropeller
09-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Unforutianly they cannot seem to change the rather backwards dietary habbits of the local populace.

Nah, it's not just a problem limited to the US.
We have the same problems over here - although not as progressed as in the US.

heywooood
09-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Copperhead - I lived in Atlanta when I was a kid and we ate fried everthang all the time...

Lima beans, grits, and fried younameit was always for supper...

One of the hardest things to change is what a person likes to eat...fastfood chains rely on this.
I was a cheeseburger and fries away from a bypass when I was 33 years old - glad I had that complete blood work done as part of the physical exam I took back then...

Since then I have cut soda, fast food and anything processed from my menu and I feel better and stronger now than I did that 15 years ago...

Eating whole foods - nothing that is run through machinery basically and cutting fried food has made me feel 100 times better and without the booze and brews I have alot more money to spend on more important stuff...

If you are like I was - spending $6-8 bucks a day on fastfood lunches or more if it was lunch and dinner or breakfast and lunch then you will find yourself with $200 or more in your pocket every month....think about that...
and thats not even taking into account your far better long term health - believe it.

Rjel
09-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Like everything else in life, and I mean everything, moderation is the key. A Coke, a beer and most anything else won't hurt ( barring allergic reactions } a flea if common sense is used in it's consumption.

BaldieJr
09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:

aspartame is bad news man. i discovered i couldn't have it shortly after it was put on the market. conferring with other members of the family i discovered that most people get headaches after consuming it. i'm one of the unfortunate ones in that it causes emotional distress (rage).

my family cut it out of our diet a long time ago. its not meant for people. maybe rats are better suited for it.

Copperhead311th
09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Copperhead - I lived in Atlanta when I was a kid and we ate fried everthang all the time...

Lima beans, grits, and fried younameit was always for supper...

One of the hardest things to change is what a person likes to eat...fastfood chains rely on this.
I was a cheeseburger and fries away from a bypass when I was 33 years old - glad I had that complete blood work done as part of the physical exam I took back then...

Since then I have cut soda, fast food and anything processed from my menu and I feel better and stronger now than I did that 15 years ago...

Eating whole foods - nothing that is run through machinery basically and cutting fried food has made me feel 100 times better and without the booze and brews I have alot more money to spend on more important stuff...

If you are like I was - spending $6-8 bucks a day on fastfood lunches or more if it was lunch and dinner or breakfast and lunch then you will find yourself with $200 or more in your pocket every month....think about that...
and thats not even taking into account your far better long term health - believe it.

Well..i've got 2 beers in the fridge that have been there well over a month. The only time i endulge in alchaol is if i'm out playing a gig soemwhere (which is like never anymore) or if i'm vistsing frinds in Ft. Walton Beach. So the
booze and brews isn't really an issue. I'll go on a binge over a 3 day week end may 2 or 3 times a year. and almost only when i'm down on the beach and don't have to drive.

But the fast food fried food & soda thing we'' thats a problem. when you spned 9-10 hours a day @ work behind the wheel of a truck for most of that time it's kinda hard to get anything remotly healthy. I've tried but i keep damn back sliding. I bought a case of Propel water by gator aid and ate salads from McDonalds for a week. i fetl worse after that week than when i started. i don't get it. i mean untill 5/6 years ago i was a lean muscular athlete guy. i worked out 4 days a week and traind in Tai Chi & Wing Chun. Now at 35 i'm fat lazy and feel like sh*t. I went from a trim toned 5'11' 220 to a disgusting 270. I know where some of it came from. While i was down with knee surgury 3 years ago i coiuldn't walk. couldn't take care of my self so i'd call up the trestruant accross the street and they bring me a cheese burger & fries 3 times a day. So after 4 months of that...i gained 35 pounds. and it's been down hill from there. :-(

BaldieJr
09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
fast-food: a lifestyle change is required to get on it, and a lifestyle change is required to get off it. if that aint an addiction i'll kiss your butt.

Stew278
09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
aspartame is bad news man. i discovered i couldn't have it shortly after it was put on the market. conferring with other members of the family i discovered that most people get headaches after consuming it. i'm one of the unfortunate ones in that it causes emotional distress (rage).

my family cut it out of our diet a long time ago. its not meant for people. maybe rats are better suited for it.

I get severe headaches from it too, but no one ever believes me. They tell me it's all just my imagination.

Artificial sweeteners are way overused. The whole point behind the invention of them was so diabetics could have sweets without messing up their blood sugar. From what I've read, they weren't initially intended to be sugar substitutes for the population as a whole. But the marketing geniuses figured out they could use it to make 1 calorie diet sodas that people could chug guilt free to go with their Double Whopper with extra mayo and large fries.

Buk_Nekkid
09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Crikey fella, get your GP to order a CT Scan ASAP.

A very good friend of mine had off and on turns like yours. His GP would tell him a different thing that it "possibly" was everytime he would visit. Ordered all sorts of tests, eventually after 12 months ordering the one test (CT) that would show exactly what it was. Yep you guessed it, an inoperable brain tumour. The sad thing is that the neurosurgeon said if it had been found sooner it would have been quite operable. He died in less than 18 months.

Demand that they test for the worst case scenario and things like these will be caught in time.

Don't mean to sound alarmist, but you get only one life and some things need to be found early.

Cheers, Neil

K_Freddie
09-04-2007, 02:33 AM
You say the coke was poured from a machine behind the bar ? Is this pub a local or is it a very popular 'rave' pub/bar? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Another angle which might be of interest.
I'd been working under a fairly stressfull envirnment for about 2 years, and then I got the news that my father had a heart attack and 4 days later my uncle died of a heart attack. While with the family I suffered similar symptoms except the stiff neck. But I lost sight in my one eye for about 10 seconds. It suddenly went black - This gives you a real kick in the pants. I couldn't stand up straight, was very nauseaus and went to hospital immediately. Eventually came back to Cape Town and went back to work.
Working in the medical industry, I was chatting to a few doctors and an opposition company 'friend'. He was testing an MRI so used me as test object. After the scan - Sinusitus. My cranium was clogged and had antibiotics immediately.

Never had this problem again. It came out of the blue, most probably a lot of factors over time that contibuted to the final event.

I resigned from that job and got a better paying more relaxed position. I used to get stressed out too much, now I've trained myself to feel F..all for most things, for my own health. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mortoma
09-04-2007, 04:10 AM
I've been consuming aspartame for 20 years now. Almost half of my life, with no ill effects at all that I know of. I think some rare people might have problems with it but there are some people who can't eat or drink certain things. I like it because anything with real sugar in it rots my teeth really badly. And I absolutely hate drinking plain water, too boring for me. Better for me sure, but just not palatable.

Airmail109
09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
You say the coke was poured from a machine behind the bar ? Is this pub a local or is it a very popular 'rave' pub/bar? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Another angle which might be of interest.
I'd been working under a fairly stressfull envirnment for about 2 years, and then I got the news that my father had a heart attack and 4 days later my uncle died of a heart attack. While with the family I suffered similar symptoms except the stiff neck. But I lost sight in my one eye for about 10 seconds. It suddenly went black - This gives you a real kick in the pants. I couldn't stand up straight, was very nauseaus and went to hospital immediately. Eventually came back to Cape Town and went back to work.
Working in the medical industry, I was chatting to a few doctors and an opposition company 'friend'. He was testing an MRI so used me as test object. After the scan - Sinusitus. My cranium was clogged and had antibiotics immediately.

Never had this problem again. It came out of the blue, most probably a lot of factors over time that contibuted to the final event.

I resigned from that job and got a better paying more relaxed position. I used to get stressed out too much, now I've trained myself to feel F..all for most things, for my own health. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Its a local mate! I saw it poured as well, unless there was residue left in the glass.

Sinusitis could be an explanation, in fact its more likely that than anything else! WHich is comforting (chances of having an allergy to coke must be like 1 in a million lol). Thx anyway! Still going to demand a CRT!

Thx for the support guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

btw...just noticed I now have 2K posts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Partayyy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

MikeDixonUK
09-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I used to drink loads of Dr Pepper, then I started to get Heart Palpitations at night time and then "Premature ventricular contractions" (Where your heart beats prematurely, then has a gap followed by a much stronger beat.)

I went to see the GP afew days later and he said it was probably down to too much caffeine and that it wasn't serious.

I cut back on the Dr Pepper and it went away, I still have afew bottles a week though. (Granted all the cups of Tea were probably just as much to blame but cutting back on that just wouldn't do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

It turned out to be nothing serious but that didn't stop me from being scared as if it was serious, as at that point I didn't have a clue what it was.