PDA

View Full Version : Computer good enough? FBPF & BOB

bhunter2112
04-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I just ordered my new puter. I got a Dell- pent4- 3.4GHz- 1GB memory-250GB hard drive- 256 geforce 6800 video card.
(Please no comments that I should have gotten an Alienwear for $8000).
I hope this will handle FBPF and hopefully play BOB alright as well.
Shold this be alright?

BuzzU
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Good for PF, but nobody is sure any current system will play BOB.

|CoB|_Spectre
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
If it can't, two things are certain:
1. You should get a full refund.
2. Dell should find another line of work.

While I can't speak toward BoB, I play the merged FB+AEP+PF smoothly on a system I built over three years ago (AMD XP1800+, 3/4GB PC2100 DRAM, 40GB HDD, ATI 9700 Pro AIW). Frankly, I'm amazed at how it's held up to this sim. I run the video settings full out (OpenGL in Perfect mode) and play online co-ops of my own build with friends online. Granted, there are times I see major framerate hits, but these are in the occasional high-density sceneries or with intense AAA as near a large warship. If I drop to "Excellent", the framerates jump up, but unless I have to, the eye-candy in Perfect is just so bloody good it's hard to refuse. This underscores the importance of getting as many pixel pipelines as you can cram into a videocard. Obviously the card has been surpassed by newer, more powerful cards, but still does a fine job. The whole FB series is notoriously CPU intensive, so I would think you'll be very happy with FB+AEP+PF. As for BoB, we'll all just have to wait and see.

bhunter2112
04-11-2005, 03:07 PM
excellant I can't wait. I have been dealing with my 4 year old piece of junk for to long. It worked fine if a few planes were around but forget the campaines- locked up and stutterd.

crazyivan1970
04-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Good enough for PF...not going to cut it for BOB.

Fliegeroffizier
04-11-2005, 05:30 PM
My question is(and has been for a long time, generically):

As a 'state-of-the-art', cutting edge application/program/game/simulation is being designed-programmed-created, how can they get themselves far out in "front' of existing technology (if only available to them in some sort of advanced 'beta' stage of production)?
Like, what hardware do they use to test aspects of their new Design/product as they go along in the design process? They can't very well design using hardware which is not yet available, or can they?

For example, SLI is the current newest graphics technology (and IT is still working through many bugs/tweaks) so one could assume that Oleg would be designing towards a Sli-compatible final simulation BofB...right? He wouldn't limit himself to the current retail version of top-notch(let's say a single 6800 ultra card). On the other hand, he couldn't design for some not-yet-created "Sli-Two" technology simply because it doesn't exist yet.

Another example, and this is a bit different...I read on some forum that Oleg had specifically Said that he was designing BofB to take advantage of the new dual-core cpu's(the Intel version is not yet released for retail sales but in a news release TODAY it is reported that AMD will announce release of Its dual core cpu on April 21st!!! .

It just seems to me that one should Expect that BofB is being designed to be BEST if run on a computer using the very latest available/soon-to-be released hardware...the hardware being used NOW by Oleg's design team. So if Oleg TOLD us what his team is using as their test bed, that would help us a LOT!!! Especially those of us who are about to build/buy a brand new Rig. For example, is he/will he be using an AMD(or Intel) dualcore cpu with his test bed???

He DID say somewhere that BofB WOULD incorporate 6DOF, so that was Great Info for those who might want to get the newest TIR3Pro with Vector.

It would be VERY helpful to hear more on Other components/NewTechnology being taken into consideration by Oleg and his team. I don't see any reason whay that particular information should be kept secret.

I'm rambling,sorry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif, but Maybe someone understands what I am trying to say.

LEXX_Luthor
04-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Fleiger:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>how can they get themselves far out in "front' of existing technology (if only available to them in some sort of advanced 'beta' stage of production)? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I always wondered about that myself, especially a small Team like Moscow.

They talk with the hardware companies that are making the new stuff. Weird...Oleg says AMD does not talk.

However, since they are programming for Beta hardware, no wonder games are releaced not really working, and must be "optimized" as the new uber Beta tech gets old -- for games lucky to get support after releace.

han freak solo
04-11-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm gonna do the usual.

Buy the latest game, then several months later get a new rig that can actually play it.

Such is my computing life.

currently:
AMD XP2400+ 1.99GHz
1 GB RAM
nVidia 5500FX 128MB

The190Flyer
04-12-2005, 07:56 AM
WOW Ivan, thats not enough for BoB, I'd like to see the comp. specs for that one! But with PF it will play perfectly.

JG54_Arnie
04-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Heh, well since Bob is still far away, at least two years, you have no need to worry about that yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The190Flyer
04-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah true, by then dual core CPU's and video cards will be the norm. so we shouldn't have to worry too much, until we see the price http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

BuzzU
04-12-2005, 11:29 AM
My plan is to stick it out with what I have now, and upgrade at the release of BOB.

|CoB|_Spectre
04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Good enough for PF...not going to cut it for BOB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, thanks Ivan. You just saved me 50 bucks, maybe more. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif