PDA

View Full Version : Try this excelent anti spyware find



Bartsimpson-
11-12-2005, 02:08 AM
Got a few more deep in my registry , sped up my system somewhat too , excelent try it free >

http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/


Bartman .

jugent
11-12-2005, 03:05 AM
Most free antispyware removers are spyware themselves.
They terminate all competitors on spyware.

bazzaah2
11-12-2005, 03:26 AM
it's a 30 day trial - it did remove some spyware from my PC and didn't turn up my other spyware programs.

I like it and thanks for the link. will pick this up when trial ends - 3 free antispyware programs and regular scans all missed what was on my pc (knew I had something as had started getting some ads come up).

Bartsimpson-
11-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by bazzaah2:
it's a 30 day trial - it did remove some spyware from my PC and didn't turn up my other spyware programs.

I like it and thanks for the link. will pick this up when trial ends - 3 free antispyware programs and regular scans all missed what was on my pc (knew I had something as had started getting some ads come up).

Well thanks for answering my reply to jugent lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Saunders1953
11-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Bartman, paragraph #4-Reports in the license agreement is what I'd be concerned about. The second sentence, although mangled with typos, gives them the right to store "certain limited personal data...outside the country where you are located and/or in jurisdictions where privacy laws may not be as stringent as those in your own country." That makes me nervous, although a lot of license agreements contain that type of language. I don't have any idea if this could really be a bad thing or not. It depends on the company, and I guess Trend Micro has a decent rep, but I'm not sure.

arcadeace
11-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I tried their online spyware removal not long ago when I put in a new hard drive. It found just 1 entry but my system was still new. I've never seen any negative write ups about Trend Micro and always thought they had a solid reputation. I am a little sceptical tho. In my Windows directory were numerous dll and exe files from them that weren't removed after their test of my system.

Grue_
11-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Use the Microsoft one. They bought Giant which was one of the best.

You can't use it if your copy of Windows has a bent key.

major_setback
11-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Grue_:
Use the Microsoft one. They bought Giant which was one of the best.

You can't use it if your copy of Windows has a bent key.

How do I get this?

berg417448
11-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grue_:
Use the Microsoft one. They bought Giant which was one of the best.

You can't use it if your copy of Windows has a bent key.

How do I get this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think this is it:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/prices.aspx?itemId=1467422&stext=

FI-Aflak
11-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Trend Micro is a very good program. Definately not malware itself, better detection rates than norton and macafee, and it doesn't use nearly the same resources that the big two do.

You also get the added bonus of security through obscurity . . . people writing code to get around antivirus and antispyware programs will not specifically target one like Trend Micro as it isn't widespread enough for the payoff to be reasonable.

Personally I use NOD32 for my antivirus/spyware needs. I guess It'd be a toss up between the two, but they are both very very good programs and orders of magnitude better than MacAfee and Norton.

Not sure on pricing for Trend Micro. NOD32 was I think 40 dollars for the first year and then 10 or 15 to renew after that. I would recommend it to everyone.

oddlegs
11-14-2005, 03:39 AM
Ditto that on NOD32, worth every penny, I get an auto update from them almost every day - these chaps are on the ball. Auto scans e-mail too, can spot trojans etc.

Grue_
11-14-2005, 06:33 AM
Microsoft download is on their homepage. It says it's a beta but I've been using it successfully for a while now. I get rid of spyware as part of my job so I hope I know what I'm talking about http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And it's free...

Deedsundone
11-14-2005, 06:42 AM
NOD 32 is a blast.Very low memory usage too compered to my former one,wich itself was lower than Norton I had.

polak5
11-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I use adware from lavasoft. And ive noticed one thing If i surf the net for 2 hrs then run it, i may find 10 items to delete...
Now if i surf for 2 hrs then go to internet/ineternet opts, delete internet files...then run adware it finds nothing....

Taylortony
11-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Am I paranoid? I run Adaware.. (free one) Also I run Spybot ( Free One) and I also run Spy Sweeper a free one I now subscribe to, It stops registry entries being made amongst other things........... On top of those I also have Windows washer that runs on shutdown to clear out all the temp files etc so it helps with the speed of it AND Zonealarm ( free One) as well as Norton Antivirus 2006......... oh and they all run happily with each other, Norton picks up the odd adaware thing, but thats it really........ they all live as I do happily with them all.......

FI-Aflak
11-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Taylortony:
Am I paranoid? I run Adaware.. (free one) Also I run Spybot ( Free One) and I also run Spy Sweeper a free one I now subscribe to, It stops registry entries being made amongst other things........... On top of those I also have Windows washer that runs on shutdown to clear out all the temp files etc so it helps with the speed of it AND Zonealarm ( free One) as well as Norton Antivirus 2006......... oh and they all run happily with each other, Norton picks up the odd adaware thing, but thats it really........ they all live as I do happily with them all.......

I just use Zone Alarm and NOD32.

hobnail
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
IIRC Symantec (Norton) has recently bought out Trend Micro.