PDA

View Full Version : Will this computer be fast enough for SoW BoB?

RedToo
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
It seems quite speedy ...

http://www.flixxy.com/ssd-raid-super-computer.htm

RedToo.

Bobby109G
03-13-2009, 03:52 PM
i'd rather wait a few more seconds for it to load than having 24 drives!

triad773
03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Nice video. I think if that were made very recently they would have used the Intel i7 chip.

I think between the RAID and the SSD HD's AND the i7, it would be a while before they could design anything to catch that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Choctaw111
03-13-2009, 05:09 PM
That is FAST! I wonder what the benchmarks are for the demanding games...Crysis and stuff. What games do they use to benchmark with these days?

AllorNothing117
03-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Sudenly I feel very cool.

Citizen86
03-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Haha, I saw that video on another website. It's impressive what they did, although the rig cost I believe over $20,000 for all those SSD's and everything else that went into it, expensive RAID controllers, etc.

Unfortunately it does nothing for games other than make it load within a few seconds. Frames per second wise, it won't do much at all.

And what a crazy mofo, jumping up and down on a trampoline with hard drives....

Stiletto-
03-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah that is a pretty awesome setup and the hardware for gaming is really awesome too.. But the loadtimes wont do much for games, certainly wont impact fps.. Alot of people such as myself are running 8 gigs of ram.. You can pretty much have full levels loaded in most games without needing to access the HD for hardly anything at all.. When you can load everything into memory those fast RAID HD's arent going to do anything.

Feathered_IV
03-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Only if it's fast enough to sling shot around a black hole and reach relativistic speeds that will propel it somewhere closer to SoW's eventual release date.

Retrofish
03-14-2009, 08:35 AM
It depends on the game. I would like to see it run FSX for example, which loads the landscape from the HD almost continuously.

I wonder exactly what is "custom" about the RAM. Is it just the special heatsinks?

Choctaw111
03-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Retrofish:

I wonder exactly what is "custom" about the RAM. Is it just the special heatsinks?

I was actually wondering that myself.

ffb
03-14-2009, 05:00 PM
this'd be more useful..

http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

click on the top right corner...view the latest newsletter

Choctaw111
03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by ffb:
this'd be more useful..

http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

click on the top right corner...view the latest newsletter

Good stuff there. That drive looks amazing...and I read the newsletter.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I read the newsletter too, it's first of all full of inaccuracies, second, ram drives are not the way of the future, it's the SSD or Solid State Drive. OCZ will have out shortly their Vertex SSD (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ocz-ssd-vertex-intel-solid-state,7127.html) with sequential read and write speeds of 250 MB/s and 240 MB/s respectively. Also they have a proof of concept Z drive (http://it-review.net/article/hardware/hdd/OCZ_Z_drive_review&1) that is 1tb and has massive speeds of more then 700MB/s sustained average reads and writes over 600MB/s!

And remember, hard drive speed will in no way make up for raw cpu power as that newsletter falsely suggests in order to sell you a product.

Choctaw111
03-14-2009, 07:03 PM
You must admit that the letter was very well written. The drive may be a bottleneck and cause stutters at times, but will not give you an overall better FPS in games. That is done by the CPU and GPU. All the drive does is put the info into your RAM. Not enough RAM, then the PC is limited by the drive speed, causing the stutters.

Citizen86
03-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Right, and how much is RAM these days? Not much takes up more than 4 gigs of RAM, much less the 8 you can put into a desktop computer for with DDR2, or 12 GB with DDR3 and triple channel. You can get 8 gigs of DDR2 for under $80 these days, and 12 gigs of DDR3 for around $200.

RickRuski
03-15-2009, 02:35 AM
What a lot of flight sim people seem to forget is that Oleg is wellup with the economics of producing a sim that at least 80% of our community can run on their PC's without a costly upgrade. If he cannot sell enough copies of "Storm of War" to make a profit because the average Sim enthusiest cannot afford to make the necessary upgrade,he will be producing a product at a loss. No sensibile business person would even consider such a move, therefore he will make sure that PC's that can run 1946 in perfect mode currently will be able to run "Storm of War" but at a reduced level, allowing enthusiests to upgrade at a later date. Just as he has done with Il2, to get the full benefit of the sim.My advise is, seeing that "Storm of War" will probably not be seen before October --November 2009 now that Oleg has said that the Sim is only 60% finished and there will be some big changes to performances of PC's in the coming months, "WAIT AND SEE WHAT YOUR CURRENT RIG WILL HANDLE"

voyager_663rd
03-15-2009, 07:55 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Of all the techno stuff mentioned (and I'm sure it's all perfectly true), I think RickRuski hit the nail on the head. Just wait and see.

Bremspropeller
03-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Nobody knows.

Why not wait for BoB to hit the scene before thinking about new rigs?

mortoma
03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
Nobody knows.

Why not wait for BoB to hit the scene before thinking about new rigs? Because I can afford a new rig now and Bob/Sow was running well in the devs's studios ( Oleg's place ) well over a year ago using PCs that are not nearly as fast as what we have out now. Believe me, if you build a monster PC now that uses all the latest stuff and lots of it, it will run SOW really well. Does that answer your question??

whoopy1952
03-15-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm afraid there's something that we overlook here,and it's called multicore.
I was gooing to buy the newest title in the TOTAL WAR series,as it looks absolutely stuning,but after seeing the first test,i will wait untill there's a modification.
It seems the game dusen't suport more then one core for the moment,and as a result the framerate is extremely low,and the game will not run smootly on all but the most powerfull monster pc's.
This is the problem that i hope,we won't have with BOB,in fact i realy can't understand this,as it seems rather unaccepteble to me.
Anyone who brings out a modern game without multicore suport makes a big mistake and i realy deplore the problems with the latest Total War game,as it is a clear example of haw not to bring out a new game.
I intend to move from a dualcore to a quadcore soon,so let's hope i can use them with BOB !!!

WTE_Galway
03-15-2009, 05:07 PM
A suitable machine is due for release in 2 weeks.

be sure