PDA

View Full Version : Im New and in need of Alot of help!

IL46_Pilot
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
I just purchased a title from Circuit City for only $29.95. Its called IL-2 1946 and it has a plane with Chinese markings in front(weird).

After installing i started to play, after figuring out the confusing menus. But my new joystick doesn't work. Its a Logitech 3, i believe. I can move the plane but only the arrow keys.

Form what i see, this game is not like any other, because I play only console games and this is my first flying game next to Ace Combat for Ps2.

So i need help on how to fly, how to get through the menus, and how to make my joystick work with this game.

Also since the planes here are from WW2, why is this game called IL-2 1946? And the box says it comes with 5 games. after installing the first DVD i only see and icon for one game.

Whats on the second dvd?

Also most important, how realistic is this game?

I only got it because the cashier at the front desk said he played the game and loved it. Plus it was cheap compared to some other titles.

Do i need any other software that the game requires or has?

Oh, and anything to help me get stated flying would be nice.

Also does this game have any online play?

berg417448
03-30-2007, 05:26 PM
The second disc has a users manual on it (PDF file) which will answer most, if not all, of your questions.

Welcome to the game!

JG53Frankyboy
03-30-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/faq_index.htm

BrotherVoodoo
03-30-2007, 05:36 PM
It sounds likes you might need to go into the control menu, scroll to the bottom under HOTAS controlls and assign the axis's to your joystick. Click on one of the entries like elevator then pull up on your joystick. Repeat the process until you assign all your axis's. Then do the same thing to map your buttons, click a function like landing gear and press a button on your joystick to program it.
Also check this out for some flight training videos from Dart.

http://www.darts-page.com/

They call it 1946 because their are some fantasy jet's in this latest patch. IL2 has been around a long time so 1946 includes all of the previous titles.
Welcome to the sim, let the addiction begin!

sakai2005
03-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by JG53Frankyboy:
http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/faq_index.htm

take his link and use it.you will love the game just take your time theres much to this game.

scottmal1
03-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by IL46_Pilot:

Also since the planes here are from WW2, why is this game called IL-2 1946? And the box says it comes with 5 games. after installing the first DVD i only see and icon for one game.

Whats on the second dvd?

The games (sims) you have in il-2 46 are:
1) il-2 Forgotten Battles,
2) Aces expansion pack,
3) Pacific Fighters,
4) PE-2,
5) Sturmoviks over Manchura,
6) 1946.
So you actually have 6 'games' It was originally only going to be released in the Russian market but all the people here banged on about wanting it for the west etc and we ended up getting it! It was to be 2 add-ons to what we already had, 1946 and SOM, but 1c and ubi decided to put the lot on one DVD to make it easy to do a re-install, cos there were loads of patches AND to make it more straight forward to new peeps like you.
So all you need is the 4.08 patch, the plane on the cover is russian, not chinese, trust me, there is a big online following, post your joystick problems in 'community help' there are lots of helpful people on this forum,
The game is pretty realistic, there are alot of people that take it very seriously, it has a very steep learning curve,
The 2nd DVD is footage of Oleg Maddoxs next sim called 'Battle of Britain, Storm of War'
Just take some time to read through posts on this forum, Pacific fighters and community help and if you check out some of the links you should find answers to all your questions, wish i could tell you more but it's way past my bedtime!
P.S Check out the 'Mission4today' Website aswell, just google it!

Huxley_S
03-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Congratulations on picking up a copy of one of the finest games ever made.

Firstly, it's about as far from anything you've played on a console as it is possible to be. It is first and foremost a combat flight simulator and was designed with realism in mind.

You can't play this game without a joystick, and you ideally need one with a twist grip to operate the rudder or pedals if you can afford them. Even though it is possible to operate the flight controls with the keyboard, without a stick you probably won't make it off the runway.

The 5 games mentioned are an accumulation of several incarnations and expansions to the original IL2 game all wrapped into one package.

There are lots of people playing this online, you need a third party application called Hyperlobby to join them, but before you do you will need to practice offline. A lot.

This is not a pick up and play game. It has a learning curve as steep as Mount Everest and more aircraft to choose from than it is possible to master.

At first it seems impenetrable. If I were you I'd start by watching the training missions. Unfortunately, they aren't interactive but just short informational 'videos' of the techniques you will need to learn.

IL2 1946 doesn't ship with any training missions (a glaring omission) but community member Zeus Cat has made a series of training missions to help newbies master the arts of taking off and landing.

You can download it here...

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2147

I hope you stick with it so you will be able to enjoy it to the fullest. With practice you'll be soaring through the skies leaving flaming debris in your wake.

There's a great community on these forums that will always be glad to help you with your questions.

Suerte,

Huxley

Skycat_2
03-30-2007, 08:11 PM
It has a plane with Chinese markings in front(weird).
The big red star is for Soviet Russia, actually.

But my new joystick doesn't work
Have you tried it with any other games? You can also go to your computer's control panel and find the gaming peripherals icon. Click on it and see if your joystick is listed. If so, you can calibrate or test it to see if the buttons are working, etc.

Form what i see, this game is not like any other, because I play only console games and this is my first flying game next to Ace Combat for Ps2.
Well, there you go. It's actually a lot like other flying games made for the PC. The IL-2 series has a good mix of classic features found in earlier WWII air combat titles, but it also has introduced some new features of its own.

So i need help on how to fly
The joystick is a tremendous start.

How to get through the menus
I think they are fairly self-explanatory, but okay ...
Quick Mission Builder is for setting up small dogfights and practice missions.
Full Mission Builder is for plotting your own missions -- this requires hours of work and is a hobby unto itself.
Pilot Career is flying offline campaigns ... click on that, choose a nationality, and push the New button. Then set up your difficulty options, choose the career and plane you want to fly, and generate the first mission.
Multiplay is for online action.

There is a PDF copy of the manual in your 1946 folder, and it will explain all of this in detail.

Also since the planes here are from WW2, why is this game called IL-2 1946?
The pack comes from the name of the last expansion for the series, which explores an alternate history where Germany and Russia continue fighting into 1946. Previous installments of the series focused on historic fronts during the actual war years.

And the box says it comes with 5 games. after installing the first DVD i only see and icon for one game.
I don't know where they got that number. There was a basic game, IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles, that was actually an improved version of IL-2 Sturmovik. And then there were a total of five expansions for Forgotten Battles, one of which (Pacific Fighters) could also be installed as a stand-alone game. They all had to be installed in a specific order.

Whats on the second dvd?
Movies. One of them shows the series' programmers and modelers at their office in Russia. Several showcase the development progress of the team's next project. And there are videos of online teams doing impressive skill flying.

More realistic than Ace Combat on PS2. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It has its limitations, but overall the physics and ballistics models are about the best you can find in this genre.

I only got it because the cashier at the front desk said he played the game and loved it. Plus it was cheap compared to some other titles.
I only got IL-2 Sturmovik because I loved Jane's WWII Fighters by EA, and IL-2 seemed to be 'kind of like it.' That was five years ago! I've bought every new version of the series since then, usually during the first week of release.

Do i need any other software that the game requires or has?
Have you installed the 4.08m patch yet? That's the most important.
Hyperlobby is a must-have if you want to play online. I've noticed that the 1946 DVD isn't supported by Ubi.com like earlier versions ... or is just me?
Look at this thread if you want to add more offline campaigns (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2163129&page=1#Post2163129). There are also several mission expansion products you can buy; they are not required for online play and they do not add additional planes or maps.

Yes. One reason for the series' popularity is that the code prevents cheating.

IL46_Pilot
03-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Thank You everybody fro your replies. Here is an update of where I am at:

1. I finally got joystick working.
2. I got the basic menu down, except i can only fly with Allied markings(I dont know how to switch to Axis)
3. I read the manual and the plane guide. Now at least I have some more info on what basic flight maneuvers are.
4. Tried to fly the YP-80, bu the engine would quit as soon as the game would load up, when I was flying on the Smolesk Map.(finally figured how to switch maps in QMB). So now I try to fly the IL-2 Sturmovik, Its the only plane i can manage to keep flying in a straight line with without crashing like with the I-16.
5. I finally realized that this game is going to have the steepest learning curve of any of the games i have played so far. Thats a good thing because a challenging game is always a fun game.(to me anyway).

I keep flying in a straight line because when i was flying the i-16, at first turn there was white smoke coming out of the tips of the wing and the plane would stall.

The most i have done so far is to make the IL-2 fly in vertical and stalled, started to spin and hit the ground really fast fast and hard.

Also the sounds for this game are kinds of cheesy in a way. It seems that there most of the planes kind of sound the same, its the same things for the guns. Maybe they sound like that to me because i am a new player.

And my apologizes about what i said was on the front cover. I really thought that the cover plane was a Chinese plane with Chinese markings, i did not realize that it was a Russian plane, I am sorry to anyone effected by my stupidity.

Also i have downloaded the 4.08patch.

The community on these forums are truly the best i have yet to see.

Skycat_2
03-30-2007, 10:11 PM
To change sides in the QMB: Click on the button on the top right corner.

By default, the top half of the menu is Allied nations and the bottom half is the Axis. Clicking on the button will reverse that. You'll have all the same planes available either way, but your choices of national markings will change. By default, you are Russian vs. Germany on the Moscow, Smolensk and Crimea maps, and American vs. Japan on the Pacific, Okinanawa, Coral Sea (?) and any other map that plays the bamboo music instead of the punchy parade ground music when you highlight it.

After you select your plane and your wingmen, click on the black button to the far right of the line for your plane. Doing that should open up another menu where you can choose your nationality and the markings for all the planes in your flight. You can even select individual pilot textures for each plane.

You seem to have gone straight for the jets and rocket planes first. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Yes, they are tougher to fly than you'd expect. Never start QMB missions in a jet at full power; it usually will cause the engine to catch fire right away or the plane to explode. Start out at 70% or 80% power and slowly throttle forward once you are in flight -- avoid sudden changes in throttle. That's probably why you're getting the flame-outs in the YP-80; you can usually restart the engine with the I key though.

Rockets and jets don't turn as tight as the propellor planes. You can't be ham-fisted with the joystick. I personally have little success with the jets/rockets. I do enjoy flying the Me-162 'Komet' -- try the single mission for it! -- the He-163, and the Ta-183 though.

Also, if you haven't watched the tracks yet you should que them up. They are good fun to watch, and very inspiring.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Got the 4.08 patch yet?

Bearcat99
03-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Welcome aboard... hit this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645).

IL46_Pilot
03-31-2007, 06:46 PM
I have patched up the game to 4.08m.

All i have been doing is flying the IL-10 in a straight line and making small turns and some vertical maneuvers.

Copperhead310th
03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Thank You everybody fro your replies. Here is an update of where I am at:

1. I finally got joystick working.
2. I got the basic menu down, except i can only fly with Allied markings(I dont know how to switch to Axis)
3. I read the manual and the plane guide. Now at least I have some more info on what basic flight maneuvers are.
4. Tried to fly the YP-80, bu the engine would quit as soon as the game would load up, when I was flying on the Smolesk Map.(finally figured how to switch maps in QMB). So now I try to fly the IL-2 Sturmovik, Its the only plane i can manage to keep flying in a straight line with without crashing like with the I-16.
5. I finally realized that this game is going to have the steepest learning curve of any of the games i have played so far. Thats a good thing because a challenging game is always a fun game.(to me anyway).

I keep flying in a straight line because when i was flying the i-16, at first turn there was white smoke coming out of the tips of the wing and the plane would stall.

The most i have done so far is to make the IL-2 fly in vertical and stalled, started to spin and hit the ground really fast fast and hard.

Also the sounds for this game are kinds of cheesy in a way. It seems that there most of the planes kind of sound the same, its the same things for the guns. Maybe they sound like that to me because i am a new player.

And my apologizes about what i said was on the front cover. I really thought that the cover plane was a Chinese plane with Chinese markings, i did not realize that it was a Russian plane, I am sorry to anyone effected by my stupidity.

Also i have downloaded the 4.08patch.

The community on these forums are truly the best i have yet to see.

Welcome aboard. After 5 years in this comunity i'd have to agree with you 100%. But be
forewarned there are a few bad apples around. then again there are some that i've know personaly for years, and are more like an extended family. Il-2 Jockkies are a close nit bunch. Now lets see if i can help a little.

My best advice here on stall recovery, and given that it is an Il-2 your flying, Which can be a real SOB @ times.

Some may disagree with me but here are my manuvers for stall recovery in the Il-2 Serries Aircraft. The wite "smoke" on the wingtips usually denotes a loss of airflow across the wings and that a stall is impending. Once you you realize that your in trouble and the stall seems unrecoverable do the following:

1. Check Alt. anything less than 1,000 Meters in an Il-2 while training and your a lawndart. 1000m + try and pull out. anything less...BAIL.
NO EXCEPTIONS

2. IF you belive the stall is recoverable do the following: Throttle up, Nose down, kick full oppasate rudder. this will increes your air speed and alow air to flow back over the wings again, by applying full rudder in the opasate direction of the spin you will right your self and stop the spin. (which is why a rudder stick or peddels are so important in this sim) once you've regained your airspeed, and corrected the spin gentaly pull back on the stick and ease off the throttle untill you leval out.

But remember always check the altimiter while your in stall recovery. you only have so much air between you and mother earth. and when that air is gone......So ARE YOU. If your at 3000 m and she goes loose on you....pick an altidtude to bail at. say 1200m and still unrecoverable, bail. Bettter to be a live virtual POW than a dead hero.

So it's:
Check alt
Nose down
Check Alt
throttle up
Check Alt
full opposate rudder
check Alt
recover or bail.

Also there are many ppl here in the commuity that would gladly volenteer thier time to take you up on a private server and teach you some basics.and many squadrons have training oficers on staff for that very purpose. So when you get the chance download teamspek 2 and install it.
You'll needit for voice over ip coms while online as most of the good servers also have a teamspek server alaible for thier players. with out voice coms online your CANNON FAODDER.

I'll pm you my email addy here on the forums and if there's anything i can do just let me know. I'll gladly aswer any questions you have.
You'll find quite a few ppl that have been around here from almost the begining like my self and know pretty much all there is to know about this sim.
From combat tactics
to costom paint jobs (skinning)
to even making your own Movies using the sim.
(whick depending upon the movie maker, are virtual works of art, Like"Not my time to die" the Robert S. Johnson Story (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=5241068925&r=5241068925#5241068925) By Mysticpuma.

bun-bun195333
03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
To prevent stalls make your stick less responsive like this

http://home.comcast.net/~argylestransom/Pics/HardwareInput.jpg

Get patched up to 4.08m, figure out Teamspeak and post your timezone. Someone will arrange one v one training for you to get you started.

Copperhead310th
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
lol yeah well that works too. lol

bun-bun195333
03-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I just noticed I have Filtering turned on - maybe I need help too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

FluffyDucks2
03-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Guys I may be wrong here..but something smells in this thread....I get a distinctly cheesy odour http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

I think this may be a wind-up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif by a bored forum member.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

bun-bun195333
03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by FluffyDucks2:
Guys I may be wrong here..but something smells in this thread....I get a distinctly cheesy odour http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

I think this may be a wind-up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif by a bored forum member.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Could be - Circuit City is showing $19.99 right now.
If it's a bored IL-2 stoner he's doing a disservice to the community. Folks will stop answering questions and the new guys will drift away to friendlier forums.

Skycat_2
03-31-2007, 08:35 PM
I thought the same thing when I first read this post, but it's best to give the benefit of the doubt. If it was a troll then it really wasn't a very good one; meanwhile, as was just said, 1946 was just released in the US and it is selling cheap, so we have to expect a rush of newcomers. Many will have little or no experience with flight sims. If this is a hoax thread, at least the answers are informative and they may be useful to somebody.

I hope we aren't being haunted by CobraGunner though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

IL46_Pilot
03-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, if you guys think I'm fake and playing a joke on everybody, i will stop posting and just learn to play the game by myself.

Maybe it was a bad idea to get the game in the first place. I guess we all make mistakes.(Oh well). Back to Ace Combat.

Thanks for all your help everybody.

Huxley_S
03-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Don't be put off by the snobbishness of some forum members. They forget that this game only just went on sale in the US and for many newbies this will be their first taste of the IL2 series.

Newbies should bear in mind that most of the posters here have been playing the IL2 sims for a few years.

I remember my first go on IL2:Forgotten Battles, careering off the runway and crashing into the ground. It took me about a week until I finally bought a decent joystick and managed to land. It took weeks before I started playing at Realistic settings.

I almost gave up but people on this forum were happy to answer my questions. Normally you'd just be able to search the forum and get an answer to your question... but the search function is broke!

bun-bun195333
03-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Pilot, get TeamSpeak2 at
TeamSpeak Client (http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads)

and figure out how it works.
If you're near the Pacific time zone I'll set up a server and get you started with IL-2. If not we'll find someone else to help...

IL46_Pilot
03-31-2007, 10:33 PM
I live on th eastern time zone(Michigan). So if you could still help me that would be great.

Skycat_2
03-31-2007, 10:40 PM
I didn't mean that to be a personal attack, IL46_Pilot. We've had forum members get bored, create a new profile, and begin posting under the guise of being brand new to the series. Usually they use a familiar controversy or long-standing joke, and then sit back and see how many replies they get.

"CobraGunner" was a character who had never operated a PC in his first post and was a self-proclaimed online Ace by the next night. Then he disappeared. Many people suspected it had been all been a hoax.

bun-bun195333
03-31-2007, 10:47 PM
If you have a fast internet connection, go get a headset with a microphone built-in that will work with your sound card. Grab a copy of TeamSpeak2 Client and post back here when you have it figured out or if you need help with it.
TeamSpeak won't work very well with dial-up, so don't bother if that's the case. We can work around it.

Treetop64
03-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Guys, I truly and desparately hope this guy is for real. It's always great to have new members come aboard. There are obviously many here who are always quick to help out, myself included.

This time, however, I've got money on the table that says this is yet another "Cobragunner"... This thread reads just too proper for someone posting for the first time with questions. Moreover, the reference to Ace Combat is kind of a giveaway.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

bun-bun195333
03-31-2007, 10:56 PM
CobraGunner Episode (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5131075915/p/1)

IL46_Pilot
03-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Damn, CobraGunner sure fooled some of you guys. But that was also very funny after reading some of the posts that he made. Nobody can do what he claimed to have done. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I know that because i can barely keep a plane up in the air, with 10 hours of practice.

Now i am trying to turn without stalling.Since lowering the joystick settings to what Bun_Bun recommended, it has make it a little easier but not easy enough.( I still stall when i turn with IL-10).

Its kinda fun to make a plane stall, trying to recover is the hard part. Even with Copperheads advice on how to recover i still cant do it. If i try to recover my plane starts it spin even faster and hits the ground. I cant bail out because i have no clue how to.

Treetop64,

If you don't think I am real because i play Ace Combat, i don't really care. I'm just asking for some help to get me started. I actually like to play Ace Combat 5, Its more fun than some other flying games. I'm only 16 years old, so give me a break.

IL46_Pilot
03-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Bun_Bun,

I do have a microphone that i use with Yahoo Messenger. I do have Comcast High Speed Internet, but i don't know how well it will work for playing online games on the PC, since i have never tried to.

Do you think that it will work with TeamSpeak 2?

IL46_Pilot
03-31-2007, 11:41 PM
I also enrolled in Joint Ops flight school to improve my flying.

I got the link from this forum post.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/2661017645

Treetop64
04-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Treetop64,

If you don't think I am real because i play Ace Combat, i don't really care. I'm just asking for some help to get me started. I actually like to play Ace Combat 5, Its more fun than some other flying games. I'm only 16 years old, so give me a break.

I wasn't referring to AC becuase I think whoever plays it isn't real. I referred to it because it is the antithesis of IL-2. The Ace Combat series represents a widespread sentiment in the flightsimming community. Apparently you feel the same, or else you would not have mentioned it at all.

Also, if you are 16, then I commend you on your very good typing, spelling, and grammar. You type better than many adults who post in the forum. You are obviously a very smart kid.

But...

You blot your copybook by spending thirty bucks (to a 16 y/o that's a ton of money) on a product you apparently know nothing about, then proceed to ask questions that arguably have very self-expalnitory answers to them.

You're bogus, dood. Have nothing better to do with your time? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

IL46_Pilot
04-01-2007, 12:16 AM
To me $30 dollars is not as much as you think. I work for a Valet Parking Company. It pays $15 an hour, so what you think is to much money, its really not.

Beside i got no bills, i spent the money i earn on video games, My girlfriend and food etc..

Skycat_2
04-01-2007, 12:34 AM
I've only played Ace Combat 04 myself. I thought it was good fun, especially at the end where you have to attack the enemy base, fly through the shafts and destroy the generators keeping the gates closed so that friendly forces can invade. Or something to that effect.
I've also played Secret Weapons Over Normandy on PS2. That was frustratingly hard at times, especially the Pacific missions. I originally rented it but I couldn't finish it, even after a renewal, so I ended up buying the danged game! LOL. I keep meaning to rent Heroes of the Pacific or Ace Combat 5, etc., but I've got a pile of other PS2 games my buddy gave me.

I came into WWII flight simming in 1999 with Jane's WWII Fighters. The flight models were much simpler and easier to fly, and the overall gameplay was 'arcade' compared to the IL-2 Sturmovik series: you could turn on a picture-in-picture camera view of any target, enemy or friendly. With a keystroke you could instantly find the closest bandit, know the distance he was from you, and see what direction he was heading. You could then switch to view vehicles or buildings and watch them in the corner of your screen ... even if they were ten miles away! The game was great fun and I spent hours placing ground targets and then strafing them into oblivion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But even with all the experience I had logged in other sims, it was months before I could land my own plane in IL-2. I also quickly discovered that my 'spray and pray' gunnery technique I had acquired from playing other games simply wasn't going to work in IL-2.

Good luck on your endeavors. Hopefully you'll soon master the IL-10 and feel comfortable in other planes.

bun-bun195333
04-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Bun_Bun,

I do have a microphone that i use with Yahoo Messenger. I do have Comcast High Speed Internet, but i don't know how well it will work for playing online games on the PC, since i have never tried to.

Do you think that it will work with TeamSpeak 2?

That'll do just fine. Get TeamSpeak installed and check back here tomorrow morning unless you want to pull an all nighter now. I'll check here first thing in the morning.

IL46_Pilot
04-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Bun_Bun,

Ok I will be on Around 10am Eastern Time.

See you then.

bun-bun195333
04-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Pilot, check your PM

bun-bun195333
04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Guys, I truly and desparately hope this guy is for real. It's always great to have new members come aboard. There are obviously many here who are always quick to help out, myself included.

This time, however, I've got money on the table that says this is yet another "Cobragunner"... This thread reads just too proper for someone posting for the first time with questions. Moreover, the reference to Ace Combat is kind of a giveaway.

He's real, was there at 10:00 for deflection shooting practice and instruction in defensive maneuvering. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Man, I'm rusty...

dieg777
04-01-2007, 01:19 PM
well done bun bun now when are you goin to get some time to fly with the dogz again ?

bun-bun195333
04-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by dieg777:
well done bun bun now when are you goin to get some time to fly with the dogz again ?

It'll have to be sometime soon, maybe three weeks from now. I was having too much fun showing Pilot the ropes.

We flew from 7:00 to 9:30. I did the progressive training thing where he learned to trim, made passes over the landing strip, then started shooting. He's good at deflection shooting but he needs a twisty-stick for rudder control. That and TrackIR and he'll be dealing out death with the best of them. All together a good kid - except he likes Spits... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Treetop64
04-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bun-bun195333:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:

He's real, was there at 10:00 for deflection shooting practice and instruction in defensive maneuvering. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Man, I'm rusty... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, guess I was wrong then (unless you're in on the act, or he's just playing along). My apologies to pilot.

IL46_Pilot
04-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Wow, you still have doubts Treetop.

bun-bun195333
04-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Sometimes, when it's really quiet I can hear my heart beating. And then I start thinking that my thoughts are making my heart beat. So if that's the case, what happens when I stop thinking about it?

It's a major question of Existentialism. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Huxley_S
04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
what happens when I stop thinking about it?

I am therefore I smell fruity...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

bun-bun195333
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I stink therefore I jam.

Motto of the Garage Band http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Skycat_2
04-01-2007, 07:52 PM
I sink, therefore I swam.

bun-bun195333
04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Pilot, here is Zeus-cat's campaign for mastering take-off and landing. Try this out after you get your rudder under control.

Zeus-cat (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2147)

Zeus-cat is one of the Hell Hounds, a squad affiliated with the Danger Dogs - it's a long story.

B16Enk
04-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Hey Bun-Bun you stranger you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif if you need a password reminder for the dog pound pm me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This IL2_Pilot is the real deal, and he will be subjected to the DangerDogz at his own request!

I like to see enthusiasm like this, backed up with politeness and maturity.

Definitely out of place here on the 'zoo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

-HH-Quazi
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
And for FYI Pilot, Zues-Cat is a member of the HH & K9 Squadrons. You will meet him this Saturday evening during the HH flying session.

B16Enk
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif K9Squadrons are becoming all pervasive http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

bun-bun195333
04-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by B16Enk:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif K9Squadrons are becoming all pervasive http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But we only control two continents... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Friendly_flyer
04-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Pilot!

I don't know what equipment you have, but I assume you don't have all the little throttles and sliders and stuff that some accumulate when playing this game for long. I have a primitive stick (a Wingman extreme) and pedals, and that's it. The stick has no throttle, and I have no Track IR to help me look around. What I have done is bind the throttle to the mouse wheel, and fly with the mouse in my left hand. That way I can look around and throttle back and forth without fiddling with the key-board. It works like a charm, for me at least.

IL46_Pilot
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't have TrackerIr or any other hardware beside a joystick and a mid range computer to run the game.

Treetop64
04-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Ok. So I was just a weeeeee - bit pessimistic. A sincere apology this time: I'm sorry for being an azz.

It's just that we've had more than our fair share of "new guys" making "first posts" in this forum, only just to drag it on by asking a laundry list of inane questions, and making flaming comments.

AlGroover
04-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Is your joystick a Logitech Attack 3 by any chance? If so it's no wonder you're having problems because it has no twist function so no rudder control. If this is so, you have a couple of options.
1. Use keyboard for rudder control (difficult).
2. Get another joystick.
3. Get rudder pedals.
To get rudder control through pedals need not be as expensive as it sounds. If you can find a 2nd hand wheel conroller you can use the pedals as rudder control. Doesn't matter if the wheel itself is not in great shape as long as pedals work ok. I just got myself Saitek pedals after using MS Sidewinder racing wheel pedals for the last 3 years. They worked just fine.

B16Enk
04-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by bun-bun195333:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B16Enk:

But we only control two continents... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No we've made it to Japan now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif....

Some good advice her guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

blairgowrie
04-03-2007, 05:36 AM
I don't have TrackerIr or any other hardware beside a joystick and a mid range computer to run the game.

Don't fret it Pilot. It won't be too long before we have you upgrading your rig and buying all kinds of goodies. Welcome to the kennel BTW. I look forward to flying with you sir.