PDA

View Full Version : Bought a FW190 yesterday....

I_KG100_Prien
01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Obviously not a REAL one (Though when I win the lottery I'm getting a FlugWerk!!!!!)

I purchased one of these lil puppies

Park Zone FW-190 (http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1600)

It had been several years since I'd last flown a R/C plane, and I must say this thing is a blast, and for 188 bucks out the door, can't beat it.

Only thing that I think I need improvement wise is to move up to a higher voltage/higher MAH LiPo battery to get some more speed and flight time.

One funny thing I did discover about it- It has two modes on the transmitter

1) Low rate- Says for less experienced pilots, or those just getting used to the way the plane flies.. It limits the amount of travel the control surfaces have, to prevent over controling (which is what leads to most crashes in the R/C plane world).

2) Hight rate- Opposite of low rate.. full controls for when you know what you are doing.....

I started off in high rate because I know how to fly these things.. But for fun I threw it into low rate...

I almost crashed the darn thing because of the low rate.. had to throw it into high rate to recover, and I recovered about 10 inches off the deck... I figure the breeze that caught the plane had something to do with it.. but boy in that low rate she was not responsive at all..

Anywho, for those IL2'ers who are in to flying R/C planes, and like park flyers, these little Park Zone planes are a ton of fun.. I'm glad I finally broke down and bought one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lurch1962
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Ever since becoming aware of park flyers several years ago, that was the route I decided I would go if I ever got into R/C. That 190 does indeed look very nice! And for a complete, ready-to-fly kit, the price is attractive!

Brutom
01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Dang that does look like fun!

Maybe someday...

Phas3e
01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
I've thought a few times about saving up for one of these as a weekend toy type thing, but one question...

Can I strip it down and repaint it into something resembling a real 190?

I_KG100_Prien
01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Don't know if you can strip them down or not, they are made out of foam. Though you may be able to paint over the stock scheme with an airbrush. Would have to wonder how much added weight that would add and if it would effect the flying characteristics.

jadger
01-23-2008, 12:54 AM
how does one land it? fly it slow and close and catch it? or belly land it? that's why there's a extra prop that comes with it?

WTE_Ibis
01-23-2008, 02:35 AM
This is the one I'd like.
Click on the vid link halfway down page.
They have others as well including FW190

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mig15.htm

Bewolf
01-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
Obviously not a REAL one (Though when I win the lottery I'm getting a FlugWerk!!!!!)

I purchased one of these lil puppies

Park Zone FW-190 (http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1600)

It had been several years since I'd last flown a R/C plane, and I must say this thing is a blast, and for 188 bucks out the door, can't beat it.

Only thing that I think I need improvement wise is to move up to a higher voltage/higher MAH LiPo battery to get some more speed and flight time.

One funny thing I did discover about it- It has two modes on the transmitter

1) Low rate- Says for less experienced pilots, or those just getting used to the way the plane flies.. It limits the amount of travel the control surfaces have, to prevent over controling (which is what leads to most crashes in the R/C plane world).

2) Hight rate- Opposite of low rate.. full controls for when you know what you are doing.....

I started off in high rate because I know how to fly these things.. But for fun I threw it into low rate...

I almost crashed the darn thing because of the low rate.. had to throw it into high rate to recover, and I recovered about 10 inches off the deck... I figure the breeze that caught the plane had something to do with it.. but boy in that low rate she was not responsive at all..

Anywho, for those IL2'ers who are in to flying R/C planes, and like park flyers, these little Park Zone planes are a ton of fun.. I'm glad I finally broke down and bought one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now actually i thought about getting exactly that one! Hey, tell, how does it look flying? convincing or rather erratic? I also read they are nearly undestroyable?

I_KG100_Prien
01-23-2008, 05:00 AM
You belly land. It has a plastic skid plate on the bottom of the wing, and a couple of small plastic skids in front of the control horns for the ailerons. The key is that you cut power just before touch down, that way if the prop will move if it comes in contact with the ground while landing. Also, if you flare it a little the prop doesn't really take any kind of impact. Though I'm sure they include an extra prop just in case.

As for how it looks in the air, it's pretty convincing as far as a R/C plane goes. It flies real smooth if you have it trimmed out and are light on the controls. Though- It's not a beginners plane, if you've never flown before it could easily get away from you.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are nearly in-destructible. They are well made and sturdy however foam is foam. The key thing is that any part on the plane is easily replaceable.. You can order new wings, fuselage, cowls, spinners, props, etc direct from the website, and a lot of hobby store store the replacements on their shelves. So if you snap a wing in half, you can get a new one for fairly cheap.. I think fuselages are about 30 bucks and wings 40. or you can buy a whole new plane w/o electronics for 90ish.

So if you were a new flyer, just get a few spare bits and pieces to get you through the "growing pains".