PDA

View Full Version : Who else finds Zero tricky to trap on a carrier?

RNZAFJay
07-06-2005, 06:15 AM

RNZAFJay
07-06-2005, 06:15 AM

Tvrdi
07-06-2005, 06:31 AM
i voted - never..actually its easy to handle at low speeds and easy to bring on the deck juts like in RL...

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Hmmm...I find it to be just about the easiest carrier ops ride. the glide-ratio and really low stall speed can be tough (if you're coming in too fast), but I simply started lining up farther out and bring it in nice and easy.

Those high-intensity, quick traps under fire are a good bit tougher as the tail just doesn't want to drop at higher speeds, but normally I have no troubles.

TB

Hendley
07-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Funny you mention it, but I find the Val tricky to trap, too. The Seafire? I almost never miss with it--even though I go in way too fast and break various bits off of it, I will snag the rope and be safe. Meanwhile, the slow, gentle Val landings usually end up with me trickling of the bow in slow motion...

Are the IJN arrestor hooks undermodelled!!? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

EiZ0N
07-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Don't ask me, the majority of my landings on carriers are very very heavy crash landings. I always live, but only just, and my plane is in pieces across the deck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EnGaurde
07-06-2005, 08:03 AM
dont be in a hurry.

line up way way out, be at the right speed very early, judge your glide path from beginning.

dont force a bad landing, go around instead.

aim to land the rear wheel first.

practice, makes perfect.

think of how hard it may have seemed, and how much training was required, if crashes and death were the real consequences of failure....

RNZAFJay
07-06-2005, 08:22 AM
I personally find the US cats (F4 and F6) the easiest to trap. The Seafire is pretty good too except you have to watch the gear, the hook seems to "take" well though.

The Zero seems easy to bring down (like the Seafire) but I just cant seem to get it to "snag" very often. And unlike the big and heavy US planes (that seem to want to come down too fast) the Zero seems to "float" espesially the tail (where the hook is) I have to constantly go round and round for another try.

Opposite to the F4U for me, the approch is a little difficult but once I hit the deck (and not crash and burn) the hook often seems to take care of the rest.

I think the advice here is good, thanks guys. I gathering come in really slow with the tail dropping (maybe close to 100-110 k's?)

Asgeir_Strips
07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RNZAFJay:
For some reason I find it real hard to snag the cables on in a Zero. If I almost stall and keep the nose waaaaay up, I have more success. Does anyone else find the same thing?

I think the Zeros hook is very short and that may be the reason.

Seafires and US planes dont seem to be as difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Zero is Easy to deckland, any of the Japanese planes are easy to deckland, even those without arrester hooks.. infact, i usually land the zero without arrester hook, and i don't use any longer landing run...

One thing that i saw during a movie of a corsair landing in ww2 was that the hook slammed onto the deck, and it bounced upwards again, so it didn't catch a wire, the exact same thing happened to me in 4.01, i was amazed, but thankfully i just jammed the throttles forward (i had quite a bit of right rudder, right aileron trim enganged, so i didn't torque roll) and took off again for another approach.. if the carrier had a crash barrier i would definitely engaged it...

But honestly i don't have any problems landing any naval aircraft on carriers. naturally it is a bit more challenging when my aircraft is damaged but nothing more really..

( I practiced a lot in CFS 2 doing approaches, carrier break, shortes possible approach and stuff before i got PF, so when i first tried to deck land, i was amazed that i managed it without any difficulties)

VW-IceFire
07-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Its a bit hard because of the short arrestor hook but its very easy because of the low stall speed and good low speed handling.

Just bring it gradually in at a slow speed and set it down.

ElAurens
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Approach speed should never exceed 130 kph. That is the key.

shinden1974
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Best thing to do is practice regular landings and get a feel for what speed the nose drops at a positive angle of attack...it's really slow.

After trapping wildcats and corsairs for a while, it's easy to lose the feel, they trap at a much higher speed, the same thing in a zero and it climbs away from the wires.

Oilburner_TAW
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Land it like a corsair and it's easy. Use throttle to control altitude, not elevator and try to 3 point land. In an interview I saw a corsair pilot said that if you touched the deck at flying speed you were in trouble..you should really be falling onto the deck. The zero seems the same to me, however it doesn't want to fall like the corsair hence the slow approach speed other have talked about is key because you can't force it down.

Feathered_IV
07-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Raise the flaps as soon as you come over the edge of the deck and flare for landing. This will kill any tendency to "float" but you'll still have enough lift for a gentle touchdown http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

J_Weaver
07-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I find all the Japanese carrier plane hard to land. Mostly because I'm used to flying those big beast like the Corsair and Hellcat. I tend to come in way to fast with the IJN planes.

Old_Canuck
07-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Best approach for A6M2 is between 80 and 85 with full flaps for repeatable deck landings. If anyone's curious, I'll leave a track on the server for awhile showing how routine it can be. That's what I love about this sim. If you get the trim settings and the numbers right the results are consistent.Download Zero deck landing (http://www.woodbuddies.com/PF/A6M2Trap.ntrk) Hope you don't fall asleep watching it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MrQBerrt
07-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm with you. It just hangs in the air so well, that it's hard to get the back end of it down. I land everything else on a carrier with ease, but not the zero. If I have to land a zero and it's important that I stick the landing, I go in with my gear up.

georgeo76
07-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Zero is by far the easiest AC to trap. It will fly so slow, you practically have to accelerate to catch the carrier. My advice to those w/ difficulty landing this or any other AC is to take it up to 5k, lower the gear and flaps, and practice low speed handling where it's less fatal to stall. Try to fly as slow as you can @ a reasonable descent w/o stalling. You'll be amazed how slow you can actually go.... essp w/ the zero and 109.

antifreeze
07-08-2005, 01:11 PM
No-one's mention elevator trim yet. I trim back 3/4 to keep the nose fairly up until I'm 'hovering' a meter above the deck. Then I chop throttle to 0% and trim all the way back, which pushes the tail down and stalls the aircraft onto the deck 'hook-first'.

FritzGryphon
07-08-2005, 03:23 PM
You see, the wheels prevent your hook from catching the wire. Make sure to raise the gear before landing.