PDA

View Full Version : Shelving the game...

thefalen
04-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Sorry guys but with all the hype and whatnot about the game im pretty dissapointed in it. My reasons are pretty straightforeward:

1. Long sail times, personally I feel as if i spend more time watching my little black dot move across the screen than anything else. Now for some people this is fine, but I have ADHD so shove off.

http://img101.exs.cx/img101/7544/sh3img22320051646595428yn.jpg

'nuff said

-also storm bug too.

3. Missions, in the campaign there are no missions, its always patrol this grid do this, get a medal and you are done. Upgrade your boat every now and then, and go patrol another grid. And unfortunately albeit a dynamic campaign I dont see the effects of the war around me.

Nothing excites me about this game - unfortunately.

What I liked:

The graphics, really nice would like to see 1600x1200 though.

The deck gun w00t!

I play wwiiol http://www.wwiionline.com
And I will continue to do so.

Mongoose6T7
04-01-2005, 12:35 PM
See Ya! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

KiwiVenge
04-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Later thefalan!
*hopes he knew how easy it is to get rid of his #2 problem*

Wavemanmav
04-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Wish I knew how to get rid of Problem #2. How about sharing?

KiwiVenge
04-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Start the game with the autorun by putting the DVD into the drive. I never experienced the problem myself, but have seen this 'fix' posted many times.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Charlie901
04-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Problem # 2 can be easily solved!

Just start the game from the DVD and not any shortcut icon on your PC.

Anyways, it sounds like your more up for an ARCADE game than this offers.

This is more of a simulator, so you will have to travel greater distances due to the fact that it is modelled of a map based in the "Real" world.

Just like in WWII, you are receiving the same orders, "go to Grid # xYz and patrol for 24 hours", this is based on Dynamic intelligence from headquarters, because that's where the important ships to sink are believed to be.
Also remember that the campaign is based on actual history, so there may be less intense action in 1939 than 1942, for instance.

Remember you CAN leave your patrol grid and do what you want.

Maybe "Scripted" "Linear" missions would offer more excitement ala COD but it wouldn't be very realistic.

Not that there's anything wrong with ARCADE style games but you have to realise that this game is a U-Boat Simulator and has more depth in the long run. I always find myself comming back to thses types of games after I've had my quick fill of FPS action style games.

Don't give up!

Ghworg66
04-01-2005, 02:25 PM
This is a fun game.
Maybe that ww2 online also,but not the monthly fee.
But those are also two really different games ,so maybe a sim game (at least a sub sim) is not your "thing" (dunno if this is said like this in english)

chris455
04-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I wonder where the community would be if we all shared this person's dogged determination to see things through.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, I almost forgot. Bye!

Tired of the whining,
Chris

thefalen
04-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I wouldnt call it a whine lol

if you think im whining, then you are a little more naive than you think.

quillan
04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Whining? No, I don't think that. I've said to several people that this game isn't for everyone. I think it's a great game, but the real meat of the game is the dynamic campaign, and face it, you spend the majority of that looking at the nav map, watching the icon that represents your U-boat move from place to place. For people who like wargames - and I'm talking about pen/paper games, tabletop miniatures, and boardgames - this is tremendous. If you don't find it fun, then you shouldn't play it. The object of playing games is to have fun, after all.

FDNYFAN
04-01-2005, 04:01 PM
What do you expect from a sub simulation.?
Simulation means real time sailing/flying or driving depending on what kind of simulation you are playing.
I play Combat Flight Simulator from microsoft and most of the time I'am busy flying to the battlefield and back to base.
Most time of the mission is flying up en down and only a small porsion of that time I'am actually engaing enemies.
Same with a tank sim I played.
Most of the time I'am just driving from nav point to nav point.
At least with a sub or a flight sim you can use time compression.
You don't havethat luxury with a tank sim.
I say everybody has to quit complaning and just enjoy the game or stuff their mouth with either a dept charge or a torpedo.
I work in a gameshop and I play a lot of games as part of my work.
The game with no bugs or erors is a legend because i have never seen one and I don't think I ever see one.
I say Ubisoft made a great game under difficult sircumstances and we know that people keep demanding better graphics.
I think that when we have games that look like movies they are still complaining that it isn't good enough.
So quit wining about some minor bugs and enjoy or stuff your mouth with a torpedo or a dept charge. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

chris455
04-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I call them as I see them and yes, your post was a whine.
Your title, "shelving the game" and your "I'm taking my toys and going home" message deserved to be called a whine. You brought it on yourself, dude.
Myself naive? Who is naive when he gives an almost perfect description of an actual war patrol
("its always patrol this grid do this, get a medal and you are done. Upgrade your boat every now and then, and go patrol another grid.")and then imply that it's boring and unexciting? What did you think the U-boat war was for the vast majority of the combatants? (that is, when they weren't dying a horrible death). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
I have been playing subsims since the Commodore64 was a fast computer- and this sim, my friend, is a masterpiece- and one that can only get better. If you don't like it, "shelve it" as you say but then please quietly leave so that the Devteam, who have simply outdone themselves and deserve endless praise, will not be subjected to your baseless complaining.

StellarRat
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
All warfare is 99% boredom and 1% shear terror. Sounds like you'd be better off playing Unreal Tournament or Doom III.

My personal goal with this game is to survive the entire war and bag a few thousand tons of shipping.

Remember, 2/3 of the men that went out in the U-Boat didn't come home.

thefalen
04-01-2005, 08:08 PM
stop whining chris455, I swear you whine like a little girl sometimes.

Mongoose6T7
04-01-2005, 09:45 PM
To:BdU

Patrol too boring. Crew wants to go home.
Send continuous stream of ships across bow.
Also bag of coins for coin slot.

Thefalen, maybe leaving the game for now is a good idea. I have done so with games before, and then re-installed them months later to find that many problems had been fixed and lots of user-made content was available for download.

If there really is going to be a SH4 within a year or so, then maybe this version will be fairly short-lived anyway. I for one am enjoying the game and plan to stick with it and maybe contribute some single missions for others to download. They would be more action-oriented than hunting all over the atlantic.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Bonzo_Madrid
04-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Actually the falen is a pretty stand-up guy have flown a few missions with him in ww2ol,if this game is not his cup of tea well thats ok,I have a few issues myself.....namely losing your TDC when you drop the scope,that is a very disapointing thing for me,and there are other thing's as well but I like this game alot and hope there are other developers out there who are taking notice of what this game strives to accomplish.

TheRealAttalus
04-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear of your problems thefalen. As has been said in several posts, this game is not for all.

I for one would rather pull out my own toe nails than play something like Half Life or Doom 3...Ooh look a weird alien thingy...Ackackaacka BOOM...ooh look another weird alien thingy...ackackacka...BOOM...

But believe me when I tell you, bugs aside...you'll be facing some of the most darndest AI you're likely to see in a sim. I'm pretty sure they even have a file on you somewhere.

It's all a state of mind. I actually prefer a game where I can walk away from the screen, come back 20 to 30 minutes later and take charge again.

The setting up of a perfect attack, the elation of a hard earned kill..followed by the exitement of E&E from an aggressive and determine DD...

Love it.

And it will only get better..between the Dev's and patches and the players and their mods!

sp3irs
04-02-2005, 12:57 AM
U did realise this was supposed to be a sub SIM game, not some PS2 arcade game. I actually think that it was TOO user friendly and that 100% realism is nowhere near hard enough.
Eventually there will probably be alot of user made single missions for people to download and get a quick fix.

rickidoo
04-02-2005, 01:43 AM
First, players need to understand a fundimental choice the developers made in the campaign - they took a realism vs an arcade approach.

In the arcade approach, an over abundence of enemies popup all around you fairly constantly. There is always a lot of action.

In SH3, to really get all there is out of the campaign, one must study convoy routes and use this to your advantage. IF ALL YOU DO IS PATROL THE ASSIGNED AREA, THEN YOU WILL BE BORED. If you take initiative, seek out merchants along convoy routes, stop and listen for them, the game goes into high gear. You'll find yourself immersed into the battle of the moment and the entire war. It really is the best simulator I have ever played, and I have played a lot of them.

But if it's constant action you want, the single games and mission generator brings that to you - let them be your focus, and just don't do the campaign. We're starting to see posted missions as well. The game can easily deliver immediate enemies that will still engage your skills as a ship captain to an enjoyable level. So, if that is what you enjoy, then play the game that way.

Whatever you ask of it, SH3 generally delivers. Perfect, it's not. Please show me a single serious simulation that did not have some annoyances when it was first released. Does it play flawlessly on every PC rig out there? No, but the polls show it does on the large majority.(This, by the way, is why PC games in general are on their way to extinction, being replaced by Xbox, etc. That way, developers don't have to deal with machines of every configuration. I love my PC but I am watching the shelfs shrink in the local software store.. glad SH made it before the last breath).

So, that's my 2 cents. I love this game, the more I play it the more I appreciate the strengths of the simulation. I look forward to the minor tweeks that will solved some of teh minor annoyances, but the game is still immensely playable just with patch 1.1 applied.

Flameout