PDA

View Full Version : Quick heads up about a book.

Hunde_3.JG51
10-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Someone (who knows I like WWII fighters) recently picked up a book for me about U.S. fighters at a flea-market. It was very cheap.

The main reason I mention it is because although it does not have alot of pages it is a fairly large book. This is important because the best thing in the book are some excellent cutaways (where you can see all of the internals of the aircraft. Almost every frame, strut, brace, cable, etc. is visible) with numerous labeled parts. They are impressive IMO. There are also some huge, well done profiles as well.

Cutaways are for: (###) = labeled parts.

P-47 (198)
P-51 (170)
P-38 (237)
Wildcat (175)
Hellcat (162)
Corsair (153)
P-61 (140)

I don't know (but doubt it) if these can be found on the internet but they are very nice. The book itself is decent and it has some neat stuff at the end about planes that didn't quite make it to production. Anyway, I'm not saying this is some great book like others, but if you can find it cheap it is definitely worth it just for the cutaways IMO.

Here is the info:

Combat aircraft Library: American Fighters of WWII.

by David A. Anderton

Crescent Books, New York.

Hamlyn Publishing Group Limited 1982

Copyright 1982

ISBN: 0-517-37482X

Hunde_3.JG51
10-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Someone (who knows I like WWII fighters) recently picked up a book for me about U.S. fighters at a flea-market. It was very cheap.

The main reason I mention it is because although it does not have alot of pages it is a fairly large book. This is important because the best thing in the book are some excellent cutaways (where you can see all of the internals of the aircraft. Almost every frame, strut, brace, cable, etc. is visible) with numerous labeled parts. They are impressive IMO. There are also some huge, well done profiles as well.

Cutaways are for: (###) = labeled parts.

P-47 (198)
P-51 (170)
P-38 (237)
Wildcat (175)
Hellcat (162)
Corsair (153)
P-61 (140)

I don't know (but doubt it) if these can be found on the internet but they are very nice. The book itself is decent and it has some neat stuff at the end about planes that didn't quite make it to production. Anyway, I'm not saying this is some great book like others, but if you can find it cheap it is definitely worth it just for the cutaways IMO.

Here is the info:

Combat aircraft Library: American Fighters of WWII.

by David A. Anderton

Crescent Books, New York.

Hamlyn Publishing Group Limited 1982

Copyright 1982

ISBN: 0-517-37482X