PDA

View Full Version : Crewless flying Dauntless

SuperFudd
02-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

An odd thing happened last night while I was fooling around with flyin a zero defending the fleet at Midway, while watching the movie Midway on TV. I left my zero and was checking out the remaining US A/C and found a Dauntless that had been abandoned by it's crew flying lazy circles over the Jap fleet. It was badly shot up but the engine was OK. The vertical stabelizer was gone as was the right aleron.
It would slowly pitch up, then the right wing would stall and it would fall off in a turn to the right about 100 degrees and level off, then repeat.
Oddly, the Jap AI, both A/C and AA, left it alone.
It eventually ran out of fuel and glided to a wet landing.
Fasinating!

SuperFudd
02-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

An odd thing happened last night while I was fooling around with flyin a zero defending the fleet at Midway, while watching the movie Midway on TV. I left my zero and was checking out the remaining US A/C and found a Dauntless that had been abandoned by it's crew flying lazy circles over the Jap fleet. It was badly shot up but the engine was OK. The vertical stabelizer was gone as was the right aleron.
It would slowly pitch up, then the right wing would stall and it would fall off in a turn to the right about 100 degrees and level off, then repeat.
It eventually ran out of fuel and glided to a wet landing.
Fasinating!

Latico
02-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Not so odd.

I real life a plane can mainatian a relatively level and/or striaght flight path without input from a pilot, if it is trimmed out fiarly well. At least until it runs out of fuel.

Art-J
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Uhm... I recall reading an article about unfortunate accident, that happenned in the '70s or '80s (don't remember exactly), when a Russian MiG-23 (or something of a kind), operating from the base in Eastern Germany (or somewhere close), left by the pilot (ejected because of temporary engine malfunction) kept on flying along the coast of Baltic Sea, ran out of fuel and finally crashed somewhere in Belgium, killing one person on the ground. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Ah... don't remember any of the details though... I'd like to read the story again. Does anyone of You guys know anything more about it?

Regards.

Longjocks
02-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Some time ago I was in a Hurricane and had my controls shot out so I bailed. My plane kept flying until it ran out of fuel. If it were only a few metres higher when it made one of its final arcs down to earth it would have made a perfect belly landing.

Saburo_0
02-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Saw an article about a US Air National Guard pilot who got into a flat spin. After he ejected the airflow-now minus the canopy made the aircraft recover. It eventually landed itself in a field.
quite a fun read, I'll see if I can find it again.

JunkoIfurita
02-14-2005, 02:44 AM
WWI aircraft were particularly good at flying with an absent or dead pilot.

If I remember, when the red baron was killed in combat, his kite glided down for a relatively smooth landing in a field. I think it burned up not long after that, though. Dang canvas.

nuts, now I'm pining for 1C:Maddox Games to hit the War to End All wars with their magic coding fingers.

That's a pipe dream, though, Oleg himself is a self-professed WWII aircraft man (If the history of Maddox games page is to tell me anything).

----

Feathered_IV
02-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Reminds me of an IJN ghost story I read as a kid. A Zero pilot, around the time of the Guadalcanal campaign became separated from his formation when he spied a US Navy fighter below him flying in the opposite direction. He dived down on it and was closing fast when the enemy aircraft flew into cloud. Throttling back to avoid overshooting he emerged from the cloud almost wingtip to wingtip with the Navy fighter. He was about to boot the throttle and pull up and over when he realised there was no one inside. The enemy plane was flying on its own and heading far out into the empty Pacific. The IJN pilot flew with it for some minutes before leaving it to continue on its lonely way.

Nubarus
02-14-2005, 03:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art-J:
Uhm... I recall reading an article about unfortunate accident, that happenned in the '70s or '80s (don't remember exactly), when a Russian MiG-23 (or something of a kind), operating from the base in Eastern Germany (or somewhere close), left by the pilot (ejected because of temporary engine malfunction) kept on flying along the coast of Baltic Sea, ran out of fuel and finally crashed somewhere in Belgium, killing one person on the ground. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Ah... don't remember any of the details though... I'd like to read the story again. Does anyone of You guys know anything more about it?

Regards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a MiG 23 and it took off from Poland at the airfield near Kolobrzek.
It crashed on a house in Bellegem killing the 19 year old Wim Delaere who was sleeping in because his summer vacation just started.
The pilot was Nikolaj Skouridine and he bailed uit due to some defect but the autopilot was still active, that is why it just kept on flying along until it ran out of fuel.

The Sovjet Union thought the plane crashed into the Baltic sea but instead it passed over Germany and the Netherlands and then crashed in Belgium.

http://www.hbvl.be/dossiers/-e/eeuw/img/1989/Mig.jpg

HotelBushranger
02-14-2005, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>WWI aircraft were particularly good at flying with an absent or dead pilot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I once read a story about an AFC crew of an R.E.8 who was doing photo reconnnaisance for a archie battery, when it got into a dogfight with some Boche (to use the term back then). Some other R.E. 8's and some scouts got into the fight, and after a while it was over. Seeing the P/R was still flying, the Allied fighters left.
http://img232.exs.cx/img232/8455/re8sandy7ws.jpg

When hours later the R.E.8 hadn't returned to the squadron, a party was sent out to find it.

It was found, eventually, 50 miles off course, the pilot and crew shot dead, and the fuel tanks empty.

Skarphol
02-14-2005, 04:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SuperFudd:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the computer defines a plane as 'killed' when the crew bails, and then just leaves it alone. When you shoot at a plane you will often hear "Good Kill" or something like that. After that message other planes wont shoot at that plane even though it looks quite complete, and the message "Enemy plane destroyed" will not appear until the plane hits the ground or disintergrates for some reason. On the other hand, I shot the engine of a 109 to a halt and left the plane to glide down to our comrade troops on the ground, thus securing me a kill. Then my stupid AI wingman went in and shot up the gliding sitting duck and got all the credit...

Skarphol

indylavi
02-14-2005, 04:36 AM
The thing that scares me most about that MiG 23 story is that it flew all the way to Belgium without being intercepted by NATO aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif At a time when nukes were in the air 24/7 I would think somebody would've at least checked out a lone radar contact flying from the Iron Curtian. Geez what did they spend my tax dollars on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
There are plenty of stories of planes flying by themselves. I watched a story about an experimental airplane that when into a stall and the pilot bailed. It made a perfect belly landing in the desert and was flown the next day. I think it was a copy of the German flying wing although I can't remember

Nubarus
02-14-2005, 04:42 AM
I don't know about the Germans and what they actually did when it entered their airspace but when it reached the Netherlands 2 F16 fighters where send to intercept it, when the pilots saw that the MiG was empty they asked for further instructions and it was concidered to be shot down.
But the Netherlands is a very dense populated country so the risk of the wreck or deris falling in residential area's was very large.
It was heading towards the Belgium coast and away to open sea so they hoped it would crash into the sea, but that was unfortunately not the case.

Salfordian
02-14-2005, 05:20 AM
I've seen that too Saburo. We were shown a video at uni in a flight dynamics class taken from the F14 flight tests. The crew put it in a flat spin, but couldn't get it out so they ejected. After you see them eject the plane comes out of the spin a few secs later and carries on flying until it hits the ground. apparently wind tunnel tests after showed it was down to the disturbed airflow over the canopy area, which brought the aircraft out of the spin.

SeminoleX
02-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Then there's the tale of the shot-up B17 that made a perfect landing on the English airfield's runway after the entire crew had bailed out believing the fort was doomed and going down.

I would have loved to been a fly on the wall at that debriefing.

Texas LongHorn
02-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey Super, it may be a Zero thing. I had one that went on for something like ten loops after me the pilot was killed. I still have the track file it was so funny. LongHorn

Saburo_0
02-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Finally found it. The Miraculous F-106 that flew itself..

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/71fis_pilotless787.htm

with pictures.