PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Track IR 3 Pro

sledgehammer2
02-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I downloaded the 4.0 version software and it worked very smoothly and seemed like an improvement, but after a few weeks I am noticing some jerky performance. If I turn about 90 left or right and then look up the view then snaps back to the front. What is going on ? Is there any aspect of all this that is not just an excersize in frustration? I swear to God between this and trying to learn the ins and outs of the CH control manager and dealing with that frustration it all just seems like too much. All I want to do is fire up my system and have it all work smoothly so I can feed my obsession with WW2 a/c. Instead it seems like I just shut down after an hour or so of being frustrated and give up for the night. Can anyone help me?

BaldieJr
02-22-2005, 07:15 PM
You are probably too far away from the TiR unit. This seems to be the single mistake made most. The second big mistake is having a big light source in the cameras field of view.

Everything becomes clear by studying the supplied documentation.

Prop_Strike
02-22-2005, 07:31 PM
How far away is your head from the Trackir?
If you're too close, when you get to the edge of the screen, you can go outside the range of the unit.
Go into the Trackir software and bring up the Heads, Tracking and Gauges windows and make sure everythings working smoothly.
If it jumps around, have a look in the tracking window...is there any other bits of light reflection that the track is picking up?
This will make it jump sometimes.
Also, are you using the trackhat with the vector expansion clip? If so, cover up the reflective dot on the hat....that fixed me up.
One last thing...make sure the Trackir is pointed pretty much straight at whatever you are using to reflect it....tilt the unit down or the track hat up a bit if need be(if you're using the hat).
Hope this helps a little.
P.S if you haven't got vector, I suggest you get it...IL2 doesn't support 6DOF but it means you wont have to keep your head so still, and you can move around in your chair without your views freaking out.

Lt.Davis
02-22-2005, 07:35 PM
IMHO,

The sticker need to protect or change after sometimes or when it damage.

Try it.

stubby
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
I initially had a terrible time with jerkiness but once I got my dialed and distance dialed in, it was smooth. try different methods.

WTE_Galway
02-22-2005, 10:06 PM
sounds like the dots are getting into a blind spot

solutions:

- actually check where the dots are pointing when the problem occurs and possibly add more dots or move dots to a different location
- use an active led light source
- increase sensitivity so you turn head less

T_O_A_D
02-22-2005, 10:08 PM
I still use a 3/4 inch ball(asper my sig read it) and sit over 2 feet away. The farther you sit back the bigger the reflective source must be. Do as mentioned above by others by removing all unwanted reflections of light behind you.

WTE_Ibis
02-23-2005, 03:39 AM
And the reflectors lose their effectiveness
wth time and handling as Cpt Davis said.

WTE_Ibis
02-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Congrats m8 I gave you a promotion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-23-2005, 06:19 AM
TOAD,
Are you using a 3 Pro? or vector yet? I was wondering as I often link TIR newcomers to your sig-thread for a better understanding and guidance in properly setting it up. An update to include some of the new software and new issues might be helpful.

TB

SithSpeeder
02-23-2005, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...but after a few weeks I am noticing some jerky performance. If I turn about 90 left or right and then look up the view then snaps back to the front. What is going on ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it's a piece of junk. Here, let me take it off your hands for a greatly reduced price http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just kidding, just kidding. My initial recommendation mirrors what the above posters said...the sensor is probably not picking up the reflective surface very well, either due to:
1. small/inadequate reflective surface
2. bad positioning of the sensor
3. other items being picked up by the sensor as reflective surfaces

I'm at work, so I'm doing this from memory, but on one of the setup tabs in the software, you can see on screen exactly what the sensor is seeing (it shows up as a green blob on a black background on my TrackIR2 software). When you move your head through the range of motion you feel comfortable for the game, that dot should look consistently sized and always visible. Makeing the "dot" bigger helps, making the "dot" 3-dimensional helps more (like hemispherical), putting the hemispherical "dot" (reflective surface) on a short (few inches) extension helps even more. For example, I took a short wooden dowel, stuck a 1.5 inch foam ball on one end, wrapped the front hemisphere with reflective tape from the hardware store, then attached the other end of the dowel to the top of my headset/mic protruding out in front of my forehead (for the most part, it is just out of view of my range of vision).

You will also see in this software mode if there are any other blobs or false dots showing up (like maybe a necklace or glasses or something behind you).

Then, tune the software to match the new larger dot size (I believe in the same window).

Position the sensor in elevation, pitch, and yaw so that your range of motion of your head keeps the "dot" in the middle of the TrackIR envelope. For example, mine sits atop my 21" monitor, in the middle, facing me directly.

Now, when you move your head around, everything should be large and in charge. Oh, don't forget to save your new profile and set it as a default when launching.

Hope that helps. YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

x6BL_Brando
02-23-2005, 11:38 AM
With regard to the view snapping from an extreme angle back to front view, I was having some of that but the very latest drivers 4.0022 (well, ends with 22 anyway!), these have cleared that problem up.

The peak of my trackhat is 20" from the tracking device at centre.

I fly a lot at night (i.e. after dark) so I've optimised my lighting:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/brando6BL/labelled_halfsize.bmp

A bit extreme? Well maybe, but it's also excellent for the immersive side of things http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

slarsson
02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Make sure you have enough reflectors on.
I was having the same problem with looking up suddenly sanpping back to forward.

What was happening was that the reflectors on my headset mike were rotating out of the direct view of the unit.

One more dot fixed it

sledgehammer2
02-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Wow, these are some great responses - I think my problem is two-fold - I have been using the same dot since I got mine at Christmas (the smaller dot not the larger size square). When you say use more dots are you saying you use more than one? How do you do that? Won't that confuse the unit?

Hiriyu
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey Sledge,

What is meant by using multiple dots is actually just to make a larger "cluster" of reflective material to read from, not to spread them about.

For example, I use a baseball cap with two of the larger square dots positioned side-by-side, wrapped around the center tip of the brim so that they can be read by the TIR in 'heads-up', 'heads-down', and 'head-on' conditions. I also have one of the smaller round dots positioned just outboard of each square dot, on the topside of the brim, which helps to keep the reflective material in view while checking over your shoulder for instance. Imagine a layout like an old BMWs grille and headlights - O[][]O.

I sit at a distance of about 18"-22" from the TIR mounted on top of my monitor with this setup, and I very rarely lose focus or need to recenter.

Good Luck!

T_O_A_D
02-24-2005, 04:14 AM
TB I have TIR3 Pro latest drivers. I have a link in that thread on my initial thoughts on the pro3 I have the latest drivers. But my settings are by no means for a new user. I run agressive and have it jacked up a bit and smoothing down to 20.

I have been thinking of making a new webpage for all the info. Ans submitting it to Airwarfare.com but have to admit to be a bit lazy about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
TOAD,
Are you using a 3 Pro? or vector yet? I was wondering as I often link TIR newcomers to your sig-thread for a better understanding and guidance in properly setting it up. An update to include some of the new software and new issues might be helpful.

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>