PDA

View Full Version : I wish

TX-Zen
03-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Over the years I have developed a wish list of sorts that I would love to see implemented in game. Realistically speaking none of it is really needed and naturally there are many more important things to work on instead, but these are a few of the things I think about when flying. And not all of these are historical or realistic, but we don't always play for pure realism. While the game is great in so many ways on a realism level, I can't see anything wrong with having a few more 'game' options either. We do obviously play for the entertainment value too.

I wish:

That we could simply make our callsign whatever we wanted without worrying about changing country or historical considerations, and have that appear in place of whatever we get in game right now.
I get confused by being red 6 in a 190A5, brown 6 in a late 109, black 6 in a D9, *06 in a P51, yellow 6 in an IL2 and ZZ+FK in a jabo.

That we could map our trigger keys to whatever gun combination we liked. In the old days the 190's cannon fired from weapon 2 and the cowling MG's fired from weapon 1. A short time later the outboard cannons were changed to weapon 2 and the inboard + MG's to weapon 1 which has been a not so entertaining point with me ever since. It would be so much better to bind them the way that suited our gunnery style.

That we could have profiles for each aircraft and have those remembered in the arming screen just like skins and loadouts currently are. I use 1000m convergence for the D9 but would probably prefer something shorter for the P47 for example. Typically I use a 2.2 second delay for bombs in the F8, but need 3.5 for the He111/Ju88 with SC2000 and need 4.5 for the Ju87D5 with SC1800.

Some of the forum members have asked for stick settings to be aircraft specific as well and I tend to agree...I find the P47 to be a bit too responsive in pitch which makes my 50 cal gunnery abysmal, be nice to have it remember what I use for the P47 when I select it but to keep my standard settings that work for the D9 and most other planes.

Related to the previous comment about trigger binding, I'd love to be able to set which guns from the trigger itself on my CH stick. Currently the 151/20's are on the trigger but the 50's fire from the pinky button because of the global way that weapon 1 and 2 are set. Some planes I want all guns on the trigger, some I want the primary weapon on the trigger and the cannon on the secondary and some planes I don't want the secondary to fire at all. Not a big deal, but it would be cool to be able to customize this on a plane by plane basis.

It would be nice to have a different form of externals enabled, particularly for coops where if you died or landed you could then go external to watch the action or be able to taxi without crashing into your wingman at the start of the mission. The option to keep them off completely should still be there if the host wants it locked down (team matches and such), but our current system is a bit too much either/or which I find mildy restrictive.

HUD messages could use a tweak also. I'd like to see an option to be able to pick and choose which HUD messages appear on screen...turning them off completely means I don't have an accurate idea of when my engine is overheating, but I don't need to see the WEP message constantly pulsating either. Another bit of either/or again. Same thing for offline AI messages...I like reading some of the chatter, but it also fills up a big chunk of the screen. I'd like to be able to limit that to 2 or 3 lines of text similar to the online chat bar.

Speaking of bars, it would be nice to be able to set where your HUD, speedbar and all that appear on your screen. I would tend to prefer a linear profile at the bottom of the screen rather than the HUD on the right and the speed bar on the left for example. Not a show stopper, but it would add a bit of immersion for me personally.

Server related persistant settings would be another neat thing. I would love the ability to create a server profile that included logon name, network settings and even graphics settings, in particular if connecting directly via IP intead of ASE or HL. Some servers you just want to furball and don't need all the visuals, while some servers attract you because of the immersion aspect and you want your graphics to be maxed out and the realism/difficulty as high as it can be. Some servers suggest one network setting, others suggest something different...maybe it makes a difference and maybe not, but it would be nice to have that profile load up automatically or have the option to pick right as the game launches before you connect. And while the server should control the global icon/HUD settings, there are some that I like to go to where I turn the icons off completely...be very cool to have the HUD messages combined in this profile so you could tailor your connection exactly the way you want for that server, without being able to bypass whatever limitations the host has set globally.

I'd like to see arrows removed from superman view and be able to add arrows for cockpit views, as the host desired. At this stage of my flying career I don't fly no cockpit very often but I do know that it helped alot in the beginning. Many people have asked about this in the past and while it's not my idea, I thought I'd throw it in here while I was airing out my wishy laundry. This is a plug mainly for more options so that hosts can have even greater ability to customize their own server. To each his own.

Your own stats program stored in a profile for each server and/or each plane type. I'm not big on stats in general but I do like to keep track of my gunstat, it helps me evaluate what I need to work on for gunnery. I'd like to see air to air and air to ground broken down by weapon type (MG's and even types of cannon), rockets, bombs etc, maybe even to the point of a stat for each weapon selectable in the arming screen. For me personally I would like to be able to go back and look at my various stats (in particular hours played so I can recognize if my addiction is taking over again) of the various server's I've played on and the weapons I've used. This isn't really that important, but I like to review tracks and I personally would get some use out of it.

Lastly, I'd like to see some sort of gun-cam track option available, a simple under the wing or under the nose view that simulates a generic guncam that can be reviewed later or exported to a .wma file for example. Part of the fun of this game for me is reviewing things after the fact, so related to the above stats, something like this would be very entertaining for me to watch and to show friends.

In summary I think alot of these things are really just to reduce the amount of things I have to do when changing aircraft, so I'm pretty big on a profile concept. We don't always fly the same aircraft daily, part of the fun of the game is trying out many different things and the profile concept would help a bit to more fluidly swap from plane to plane.

As I said initially there are far more important things to work on, but these are a few of the things that would make my simming experience more enjoyable on a personal level and have been on my mind for a number of years.

<S>

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
There's a wish list thread just for this stuff. You will probably get your requests noticed more here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/2571024123

slo_1_2_3
03-02-2006, 10:33 AM
hey i think theres is a place in controls where you map weapon 1 2 3 and 4 i think i dont know maybe give it a try im probably wrong but still

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Those key-mapping inputs are for:

weapon 1 - primary guns (usually mg's)
weapon 2 - secondary guns (usually cannon, but the 'other 4' mg's on a jug)
weapon 3 - rockets
weapon 4 - bombs

The only option in key binding for guns is the 'fire weapons 1&2' and turning gunpods on/off.

It seems a small thing, but I mirror Zen's sentiments on key-binding for guns. I'd like to tweak it myself too.

TB