PDA

View Full Version : ~EZIO AUDITORE ~ your feedback [possible Spoilers]

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Now that we've had an entire Trilogy (plus Embers if you've seen it) to follow Ezio's life and get to know him, what are the things you like and dislike about him most?

What would you have done differently if you were him?,
What do you wish he had done?

What aspects of his character would you like to see in a future AC Protagonist (if any http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif )

*you don't have to answer all of these, just curious as to your opinions of Ezio (personally and/or as an Assassin) now that they've concluded his Saga.

InfectedNation
12-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Ezio has been a great character, but I wish they'd been more consistent between games.

The transition from AC2 to ACB made sense because of what happened in the Vatican and in the Vault, but Ezio seems very different in Revelations, and like some people have said - rather sociopathic.

He's so hellbent on achieving his goal to unlock the library that he is oblivious to - or does not care about - the consequences, he's colder (except to Sofia and a few others)

But still it has been fantastic to see his character develop from 17-65, and the change in ACR was interesting and changed the feeling of playing, and by the end of Embers I did feel that he needed to rest and let go of the past.

kriegerdesgottes
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I thought Ezio was an awesome character. The first time I saw him was on the GameInformer cover and I remember being blown away by how awesome he looked. I remember thinking though how stupid it was that his shirt was open like it was and I remember thinking the accent was weird but they both grew on me and I def love the accent now. Roger Craig Smith is a very talented guy. He's not just some dude who sounds like Ezio, he really sells the character in the game and has some real acting talent.

I honestly wish the Cristina thing had ended differently but he's had a great story. Someone mentioned in another thread how cool it would be to visit his tomb one day as another ancestor. I thought that was a good idea. Or just find a cool way to reference him like Altair was referenced in Ezio's games.

RzaRecta357
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I didn't like him at first compared to Altair. Just didn't have that cool factor. But I started liking him. Then ACB happened and he seemed cheese and robinhoodish.

Then ACR fixed him.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 01:53 PM
He's so hellbent on achieving his goal to unlock the library that he is oblivious to - or does not care about - the consequences, he's colder (except to Sofia and a few others)

I thought he was that way all the time tho, not just ACR.
He has his few that he's warmer to & that's it.
I figured he was just focused on his missions & they took priority.

Animuses
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Awesome and well developed character. Just wish they saved the continuation of his life for after AC3. Annual releases? PFFT! Damn money hungry bastardi!

joelsantos24
12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I haven't played Revelations just yet, so I can only give an opinion based on what I know of him until Brotherhood.

Ezio has always seemed to me, a rather vulgar and shallow character. His upbringing didn't help, naturally. Being born in a golden crib, having everything he desires, living "la dolce vita", as the italians put it, as opposed to Alta´r, who is much more deep, complex and introspective. Plus there's the "cool factor", already mentioned here, because let's face it, Alta´r is the ultimate badass.

YuurHeen
12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
I didn't like him at first compared to Altair. Just didn't have that cool factor. But I started liking him. Then ACB happened and he seemed cheese and robinhoodish.

Then ACR fixed him.

this

Scotty056
12-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I enjoyed the direction ubi took with Ezio, definitely one of my all time Favorite characters. I really hope that in AC3 there are some mentions of Ezio, wouldn't mind getting ezios armor as a reward Similar to Altiar. One thing I Did not like about Ezio was the fact that he never really had a sense of his own direction - more of getting sent on fetch quests as the Assassin Errand Boy, rather than embracing the title of Mentor.

luckyto
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't really compare Altair and Ezio. They are just different. Each has character points to admire and to dislike. Altair was quite the egomaniacal jerk at the beginning of AC1, but he did evolve. I love both of them.

For me, Ezio's character grabbed me the minute he had to watch his father and brothers die. He's funny, loves women, and is more action than talk.

The main problem I have with Ezio is the lack of development in Brotherhood and Revelations. In Brotherhood, he was the exact same - no character progression at all. By Revelations, he had turned bitter and cold, and though different, I had hoped to see him truly evolve the way that Altair did. Lovestruck does not equal evolution, though one can be a precursor to the other.

That's kind of the difference. In Altair, we missed his early years but saw him evolve from Assassin into the wise master. In Ezio, we saw him blossom into a man, but alas, I never felt that his character portrayed the added responsibilities of his latter life. Embers corrected this, to a degree, but I think too little too late.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 04:16 PM
The main problem I have with Ezio is the lack of development in Brotherhood and Revelations. In Brotherhood, he was the exact same - no character progression at all. By Revelations, he had turned bitter and cold, and though different, I had hoped to see him truly evolve the way that Altair did. Lovestruck does not equal evolution, though one can be a precursor to the other.

If you think about it tho, how can you be a killing machine & still be this sensitive, kind, compassionate soul?
I think over time in the Assassination business, it would make you callous to some degree.
Esp. when losing your loved ones & comrades.

I do expect some of it in the AC protagonists.

luckyto
12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I understand that he became bitter --- offscreen prior to Revelations. But I would like to have seen him evolve past that into the Wise Master role, the Yoda, the Gandalf, Mr. Miagi. Heh. Altair evolved on screen. You understood how he came to truly embrace the Creed, he became wise before your eyes in a single game.

AC2 did its job - it showed Ezio mature. The following games should have taken him to the next step. But that was all handled off-screen.

joelsantos24
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe that is it, maybe he is just too shallow and superficial to undergo such a profound and extensive development, as a character. I have always believe it to be so, with Ezio, what you see is literally what you get.

And for the record, being an assassin (or a killing machine, as was put) does not mean one must become "lifeless" and/or void, deprived of all empathy and sentiment. If something, it is quite the opposite, one may have (or gain) an even more considerable respect for life and it's value.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Yep. well in a part in ACR, Ezio had even said he could finally find room to love again.
So he'd been shut off for all those years just doing his Assassin thing.

Maybe that is it, maybe he is just too shallow and superficial to undergo such a profound and extensive development, as a character. I have always believe it to be so, with Ezio, what you see is literally what you get.

Ya & just like other mentors got corrupted & didn't advance the Order, but failed it instead.
Ezio didn't achieve what Altair did - he had his own character limitations but he did put the Order first & didn't get corrupted.

rileypoole1234
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I thought he came full circle. I think in ACR he was quite like he was in AC2. ACB was a weird time for him. Him and his Assassin's did seem a bit "Robinhoodish", as somebody mentioned. I like him the most in the middle of AC2 and all of ACB. Cold, but can also be fun and happy, and extremely focused on what he has to do. I love that he improvises if something's not gone well, sort of like Nathan Drake. Overall I love the character, and I hope whoever they have in AC3 is as personable.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
I thought he came full circle. I think in ACR he was quite like he was in AC2. ACB was a weird time for him. Him and his Assassin's did seem a bit "Robinhoodish", as somebody mentioned. I like him the most in the middle of AC2 and all of ACB. Cold, but can also be fun and happy, and extremely focused on what he has to do. I love that he improvises if something's not gone well, sort of like Nathan Drake. Overall I love the character, and I hope whoever they have in AC3 is as personable.

That's one of my biggest concerns - the new guy's character. Ezio is exactly what I like, so that's why I think they'll go another route & do something else. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

What I liked was his confidence and boldness. Take-charge & get it done attitude. Plus his vibrancy & ya, fun like you mentioned. But it wasn't often so I really drew off of what little they gave in that area.

I think it's why I'm drawn to the love-life thing (Cristina memories, etc.) becuz it's the only time we see him "personable" & just not talking about the conflict & enemy.
I wanted to see more of him "off the clock". Even in ACR we didn't get much personal time w/ his character.
So . .

SolidSage
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I liked him best in ACR, following his own rules, tired of the killing and I also enjoyed the Sofia love intrest story. I didn't get anything from the Christina one really.
He was wiser and more real, thinking like a real person.

What I would have done differently though, is not fail in rescuing my Father and Brothers, I would have set fire to that effin city if necessary, not just stood and watched.
Barring that, I would have succumb to revenge and beat Rodrigo to death with my bare hands.

Sorry for the violent approach but hey, it's Creed, that's what we do.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

joelsantos24
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
One of the reasons for Alta´r's appeal and captivation was his distinct coldness and social distance/withdrawal. So Ezio's (so-called) coldness was not really my problem (although I do admit he was cold), but I believe it was more the case of him not being that much of an elaborate character. That is precisely what I meant with the term superficiality.

ProdiGurl
12-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by POP_WW_2008:
More "personal time" with Ezio's character? Wow... that... was... weird. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Thanks but no, not really. Anyway, one of the reasons for Alta´r's appeal and captivation was his distinct coldness and social distance/withdrawal. So Ezio's (so-called) coldness was not really my problem - although I do admit he was cold - but I believe it was more the case of him not being that much of an elaborate character. That is precisely what I meant with the term superficiality.
The personal time was stuff that builds on his character, not just "lets do this mission" & keep it all Assassin based.
I mean, they built up other characters with personable stuff....
Not so much Ezio so that you get sense of their personality or humor, etc.
I'd just like to see more that way.

I just lack the right words to describe it.
If people want more of a story and character building, it should be w/ the Protagonist as well - we saw alot of it in ACII but it stopped there.

Shaunzy95
12-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Ezio is amazing. He seems like a genuine nice guy who wants the best for people. He has changed a lot since AC2, and you appreciate him for that. Yeah, great guy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Inorganic9_2
12-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I think he is very cold and such by AC:R. To most except Claudia, his assassins (to whom he's very philosophical and wise). But I believe I know why. "I am weary of this fight, Claudia". He's old and weary and he doesn't know how long his battles will last or why he's even fighting them anymore etc.

Spoliers:

I actually more like Manuel was the "good" one when Ezio killed him. Manuel spoke of peace and helping people, whereas all Ezio said was "I'm here for the key" and "there's the monster I came to kill". It makes him sound brutal and nasty tbh!

He also seems like he cannot fall out of his cycle of revenge. He knew he had to go to Ahmet in the Arsenal, but he did it with a vengeful spirit, rather than a tactical one. That isn't surprising tbh (I imagine he was scared he was going to lose Sofia as he did with Cristina and his family) and it probably manifested itself as anger.

It makes him seem more human. Alta´r was awesome for being the ôinfinitely wiseö type. But Ezio was wise because of all of his mistakes, not because he spent so long thinking, reflecting and meditating.

ProdiGurl
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Interesting.

When I look back on Ezio's story now that we see the ending,
I think he never got over the loss of his family and possibly Cristina.

He sought revenge due to them taking his father & brothers, he closed off emotionally w/ women it seems since he later says he somehow finds the capacity to love again.

I see more of a broken spirit, bent on his purpose - it's not until the very end w/ the Altair stuff that he knows he's just a piece of the puzzle & realizes it's time for him to live his life another way to fulfill things he needs as a regular man (ie. wife/family of his own, rest).

So that's why I don't view him as some cold monster as some may see him.

joelsantos24
12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
The personal time was stuff that builds on his character, not just "lets do this mission" & keep it all Assassin based.

If people want more of a story and character building, it should be w/ the Protagonist as well - we saw alot of it in ACII but it stopped there.
Yes, I understood. The reason I subsequently erased that part of the text, was due to the fact that it was essentially "me being a pain" about Ezio, because my opinion of him has never been very positive, if anything, it was quite the opposite. But do not get me wrong, though, I like Ezio, he is a great character/Assassin, and I absolutely perceive the validity of his character to the series development and his own importance and/or value to it. On the other hand, it is just "excrutiatingly" hard for me to concede that many positive remarks of (and to) him, when compared to Alta´r, because as you might have noticed by now, I am quite a hardcore fan of Alta´r/Assassin's 1. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ProdiGurl
12-14-2011, 01:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Yes, I understood. The reason I subsequently erased that part of the text, was due to the fact that it was essentially "me being a pain" about Ezio, because my opinion of him has never been very positive, if anything, it was quite the opposite. But do not get me wrong, though, I like Ezio, he is a great character/Assassin, and I absolutely perceive the validity of his character to the series development and his own importance and/or value to it. On the other hand, it is just "excrutiatingly" hard for me to concede that many positive remarks of (and to) him, when compared to Alta´r, because as you might have noticed by now, I am quite a hardcore fan of Alta´r/Assassin's 1. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh ok. I was worried you might take me for some mentally ill Ezio stalker or something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Ya I figured you were more into Altair - quite a few people are which is understandable.
Knowing nothing about him prior to ACR, I appreciated the info thru the Keys to see what happened in his past.

InfectedNation
12-14-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm starting to think that the Cristina Missions were put into Brotherhood in order to lead to Ezio's coldness in Revelations. It seems that towards the end of Brotherhood he has remembered all these repressed memories, and in moving on his human emotions have been numbed.

ProdiGurl
12-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by InfectedNation:
I'm starting to think that the Cristina Missions were put into Brotherhood in order to lead to Ezio's coldness in Revelations. It seems that towards the end of Brotherhood he has remembered all these repressed memories, and in moving on his human emotions have been numbed.

Really interesting comment . . sounds very plausible.

joelsantos24
12-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
Oh ok. I was worried you might take me for some mentally ill Ezio stalker or something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Ya I figured you were more into Altair - quite a few people are which is understandable.
Knowing nothing about him prior to ACR, I appreciated the info thru the Keys to see what happened in his past.
Don't worry, I didn't think that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, Alta´r is (most) likely the most revered character of the series, and with good reason, I believe.

Anyway, still regarding Ezio, I believe most people can relate more to him from the Assassin's 2 perspective, rather than Brotherhood. I think he was too "military" in Brotherhood, too focused on the literal war against the Borgia (also with good reason, I suppose) to make it possible for the game to portrait him (or convey his character) in a more "human" perspective, much like in Assassin's 2 where we are in the front row to the dramatic changes to his life and/or personality.

ProdiGurl
12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Don't worry, I didn't think that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, Alta´r is (most) likely the most revered character of the series, and with good reason, I believe.

Anyway, still regarding Ezio, I believe most people can relate more to him from the Assassin's 2 perspective, rather than Brotherhood. I think he was too "military" in Brotherhood, too focused on the literal war against the Borgia (also with good reason, I suppose) to make it possible for the game to portrait him (or convey his character) in a more "human" perspective, much like in Assassin's 2 where we are in the front row to the dramatic changes to his life and/or personality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya I thought he was too military in ACB too which was why I had made that comment. I think that's why I appreciated ACR more, it got back to Ezio - a human being, not 'man on a mission' (not that he wasn't busy w/ Assassin business).
We saw another side finally and it was refreshing.