PDA

View Full Version : How much bleedin' memory???

SRC1962
07-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi,

I've owned IL2, FB and Pacific Fighters for some time now, in that order, and have become increasingly irked by the performance of my PC in handling them. Not surprisingly, IL2 runs best (but haphazardly) down to PF, which is unplayable.

My PC has a 1.3ghz processor and 512mb RAM. Until recently it had a 20gig hard disk and WIndows ME (spits noisily). I've noticed that since "upgrading" to XP Pro, and the fitting of a new 80 gig hard disk, the performance on all three has become woeful - jerky and more or less unusable.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to get them to perform better - although it seems to me that I exceed the minimum spec for each game. What's going on here? Lack of cache? Lack of summat else? XP itself.

Help!

F19_Ob
07-09-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm low on everything but will upgrade ram.
Another stick of ram 512mb wouldn't hurt U either.
But then it also depends how high your graphics settings are.
Can u turn something down. try turn the sound down to the fastest setting and see if it improves anything.

also take a look at mr covinos explanation of the il2 setup if there is a setting u can change.
link here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/6651075613

SRC1962
07-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by F19_Ob:
I'm low on everything but will upgrade ram.
Another stick of ram 512mb wouldn't hurt U either.
But then it also depends how high your graphics settings are.
Can u turn something down. try turn the sound down to the fastest setting and see if it improves anything.

Thanks for that - I've just realised that I've probably posted this in the wrong forum!

I suspected that lowering the level of detail and sound might make a noticeable difference, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll have a look at the article link you posted, but if nothing in there does the trick, I suppose I'll have to get a Pentium 1,000,000,000 and the sort of RAM that you'd normally find on a bank system... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Ta anyway.

also take a look at mr covinos explanation of the il2 setup if there is a setting u can change.
link here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/6651075613

VW-IceFire
07-09-2005, 12:40 PM
I run on 1GB with a 2.2 GHz AMD 2700+ and a Radeon 9700Pro. It is admitedly faster than your system but I was running at one time on a Pentium III 733 with a GeForce 2 GTS 32mb. That was with IL2 so obviously things have changed somewhat.

You have to expect that 4.01 will put a strain on older hardware as its essentially requiring the same out of the game as a newly published one. Infact, compared to the most recent releases such as Battlefield 2, PF is not all that bad on your system.

I recommend:
1) Running defrag
2) Bumping up memory to 1GB if possible
3) Going here: http://www.tweakxp.com/

On a slower system running Windows XP, you can run very very quickly but you need to learn about tweaking your system. Yes MS should make it easier but they don't so lets get over that that head on.

You can make the game run very acceptably I would think. A system such as yours will not run at Perfect mode. Don't expect it.

But you can make it run smoothly, probably in Excellent, at acceptable FPS without any serious pauses.

Look at making static page files instead of dynamic ones, look at optimizing your system, optimizing your IL2 FB performance, and going from there.

Don't expect too much out of a 3 or 4 year old rig but expect it to work and be ready to know your stuff or be willing to delve a little deeper.

Tooz_69GIAP
07-09-2005, 01:01 PM
there is no way you will run PF at an acceptable level on excellent. Do not even dream of it!

I have a 1.8gig P4 with 1024mb RAM and a GeForce2 MX200 32mb card (I know, this is really a sucky card - I'm working on it). I run all landscape and water details as low as possible. I don't run the new clouds, unless the server forces them. And my object details are medium. I get around 15-20 FPS on these settings.

You really really need 1024mb RAM at least to run this game smoothly because of the new FMs, etc. And you should really think about upgrading your cpu. P4s are reasonably cheap now, so you can probably upgrade at not too much of a cost. A cpu is my next purchase at least.

But as Icefire has said, have a look at tweaking XP, and make sure you are up to date with the security updates from MS, etc. There's a lot you can do to speed up it's performance.

VW-IceFire
07-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
there is no way you will run PF at an acceptable level on excellent. Do not even dream of it!

I have a 1.8gig P4 with 1024mb RAM and a GeForce2 MX200 32mb card (I know, this is really a sucky card - I'm working on it). I run all landscape and water details as low as possible. I don't run the new clouds, unless the server forces them. And my object details are medium. I get around 15-20 FPS on these settings.

You really really need 1024mb RAM at least to run this game smoothly because of the new FMs, etc. And you should really think about upgrading your cpu. P4s are reasonably cheap now, so you can probably upgrade at not too much of a cost. A cpu is my next purchase at least.

But as Icefire has said, have a look at tweaking XP, and make sure you are up to date with the security updates from MS, etc. There's a lot you can do to speed up it's performance.
You could run Excellent very well if you ditched that MX200 and spent about $60 on a new low end budget card. A Radeon 9600, 9550, a GeForce Ti4200 (if you can find one), a GeForce FX5700 (probably more than $60), a GeForce FX6200 or 6200 Turbo would all bump you right upto amazing levels.

Basically, the GeForce 2 MX200 is a GeForce 1 card. So...basically you have the very first GPU ever and I think it lacks hardware T&L which the FB engine uses quite a bit of. So thats why you have so much trouble...and probably why those features hurt you so much.

I know most people run on low budgets. I do to...I upgrade and then don't touch things for a few years (this system of mine has to last at least another year) but you can spend very little money to get massive gains.

My old P3, which is now In my brothers hands, plays a number of semi-recent games without too much trouble. He was having real trouble with a now dead GeForce 2 GTS which was good in its day, and we tossed an Asus Radeon 9550 into the system. Card was $100 (Canadian) and it came fully featured and all sorts of things. Beautiful card...he can now play most new games. Admitedly he isn't a flight sim nut and I haven't tried running FB over there...but I'm sure I could get him upto 30fps average on Excellent mode.

I think I need to write a guide on howto fly and configure the game to run nicely on all levels of hardware.

In IL2 Setup, do you guys use the default settings for your class of card or run custom. Custom is so much better if you know what to look for...

bird_brain
07-09-2005, 03:32 PM
I have a higher end machine with an Athlon XP 3200+, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb, Audigy sound, & 1 GB of 400mhz RAM.

While I was building this system and with my old 2100+ before it, the biggest gain I found to smooth out game play and get rid of the stutters was to put FB on a 2nd disc by itsself. I was experimenting with my RAM and with 512mb only, I noticed a significant improvement by reloading FB on the 2nd hard drive. Then when I put in the othe 512mb of RAM, it obviously ran even more smoothly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

SeaFireLIV
07-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Well, you certainly need more ram 768 to 1 gig would give you a great performance boost. But I`m curious about your HD since you got a new 80 gig one. Have you reinstalled the cables correctly? Is it one of those WD drives that can perform better with a high quality cable? Did you install the cable right? With XP have you adjusted the settings so that XP uses RAM to run your applications rather than system cache? Etc, etc...

Once you do things like change your hardware there are often minor reconfigurations needed that can make a major diff to your PC.

Please place your DXdiag in the Technical forum...

JG52MadAdler
07-09-2005, 04:31 PM
My guess you are running standard PC133 RAM
With that CPU you will need at least another stick. 256/512 dont know what your config is.
You never mentioned your graphics card. (?)
AGP Slot ?
If you are using onboard graphics
(Intel chip with open GL and shared memory)
It would be cheaper to build a new computer.
Athlon XP 2400 $70
NVidia 5700 8x (w) 256DDR RAM $70
Gigabyte Mobo 8xAGP (w) Audio $60-$80
1 gig PC3200 DDR $100
If your box is ATX you can use it and its power
supply (350w) hopefully
You have a 80 gig HD
Will cost about $300 ir less depending on what you can salvage.

Hope this helps,

JG52MadAdler
07-09-2005, 04:36 PM
BTW a Mobo with let say Via KT 400 chipset
Will handle up to a AMD XP3200 400 FSB CPU
but is compleetly backwards compatible.
So when the 3200's are $70 you can kick a little more life out of it.

antifreeze
07-09-2005, 04:53 PM
> You could run Excellent very well if you
> ditched that MX200 and spent about $60 on a
> new low end budget card. A Radeon 9600,
> 9550, a GeForce Ti4200.

Sorry, I would disagree with this. I use a 2ghz Pentium, 512mb RAM and a GFTi4600, and cannot get good enough frame-rates to run everything on 'excellent'. Most of my settings are on normal, with a few choice ones set higher. This affords me a playable 15-37fps in an average-to-busy online game.
I know my system inside-out and have tweaked the game extensively over the last three years. I am fairly sure I'm getting best trade-off between performance and quality for my system.
In version 4.xx I can maybe run smaller missions offline with everything set to 'excellent', but for online dogfight servers or wars, the fps would be unflyable a lot of the time.
Note that I used to run with all-excellent settings back in version 2.xx, but that is not possible anymore.

Just to be clear though, I don't think that SRC1962 should get a better card than the ones suggested, to try to play on 'excellent', because the rest of the system would probably bottle-neck anyway. I'm just trying to say that if you do get a new card, don't expect too many miracles without updating the whole system.

carguy_
07-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Running Sempron 3000+512kbL2 with GAINWARD5600/256MBRAM and 1GB3200RAMDual Channel.Few days ago I took out a 256 133Mhz(was 512/400Mhz+256/133) and bought one 512MB3200 stick.Thought,wonderfull at last 1GbRAM onboard gonna check if it smoothens out the game.Tried in online and offline and...no difference whatsoever.Same lags,same stutters.May I add I`m runnin Win98SE.

I feel like I tossed hard earned money out the window http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
07-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Icefire, I know all about the inadequacies of my card. It totally sux backside so much!!

And yeah, I could spend some cash and upgrade, but that's kinda difficult when you've been unemployed for a year due to a major illness, and the welfare system sucks so bad, they owe me money for like 6 months!!!

Once I get a job (of which there are few where I am) then I'll start thinking about upping what I have.

SeaFireLIV
07-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by carguy_:
Running Sempron 3000+512kbL2 with GAINWARD5600/256MBRAM and 1GB3200RAMDual Channel.Few days ago I took out a 256 133Mhz(was 512/400Mhz+256/133) and bought one 512MB3200 stick.Thought,wonderfull at last 1GbRAM onboard gonna check if it smoothens out the game.Tried in online and offline and...no difference whatsoever.Same lags,same stutters.May I add I`m runnin Win98SE.

I feel like I tossed hard earned money out the window http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

To make use of the RAm you need XP. Wins 98 just won`t utilise it enough. I tell you, with XP it makes a world of diff. In fact I bought XP just for IL2! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

wayno7777
07-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire

I think I need to write a guide on howto fly and configure the game to run nicely on all levels of hardware.

In IL2 Setup, do you guys use the default settings for your class of card or run custom. Custom is so much better if you know what to look for...

Looking forward to it!!! Please...

This is what I try to play on...
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003, 2004 Lavalys, Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v1.51.195
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer WAYNE'S (Wayne's)
Generator
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A (Win98 SE)
Date 2005-07-09
Time 22:59

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name WAYNE'S (Wayne's)
User Name

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Duron, 750 MHz (7.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Compaq Compaq PC
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363(A) Apollo KT133(A)
System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Compaq (11/21/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Monitor Compaq MV720 [17" CRT] (934CE48BANCX)
Monitor Default Monitor (934CE48BANCX)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01
Optical Drive LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5232K (DVD:16x, CD:52x/32x/52x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Optical Drive LITE-ON LTR-40125S (40x/12x/48x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 62517 MB (34108 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 15614 MB (8520 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID-compliant keyboard
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant Wheel Mouse
Mouse Logitech-compatible Mouse (PS/2)
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
Network Adapter PPP Adapter. (4.239.138.79)
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
Network Adapter Realtek 8139-series PCI NIC (169.254.46.237)
Modem Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem
Modem Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem #2

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Optical WheelMouse

_VR_ScorpionWorm
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Jumping straight to the end after reading a few post, I agree, 768 should be enough. I run a 1.8Ghz Celeron with 768 MB Ram and an FX5200 XP home. Oddly enough even with the new clouds I havent had that much of a performance drop, even when the screen is full of enemies, I still get the same frame rates as before with 3.04m. Either go for 768 or a full 1 gig, it should be enough, the processer may be a bit of a bottle neck or your graphics card.

Oh and I run all on excellent mode with no problems. Tweaking XP helps alot and I mean alot, I had low FPS in the range of 15-20, after tweaking I am pretty much in the range of 20-30, given the system I have thats pretty good.

Tooz_69GIAP Sorry to hear about your unemployment, I was in that boat for an entire year(but for a different reason and also limited jobs in my area), keep your chin up, in time you will be raking in cash.

Tooz_69GIAP
07-10-2005, 06:52 AM
hey, thanks worm, just is getting to me now. I'm getting restless!!