PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft trying to fight off EA

Troll2k
01-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I came across this article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050121_103340.html

oldschool1992
01-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Theyre French they are supposed to surrender lolhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fordfan25
01-21-2005, 11:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oldschool1992:
Theyre French they are supposed to surrender lolhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO.

i stoped being a fan of UBI after the 16bit days. thay just went down hill IMO. i have never been much of a EA fan.

DONB3397
01-21-2005, 12:10 PM
The real issue for us is probably 1C's arrangement with Ubi. Often contracts include paragraphs that give third parties a chance to opt out in case of acquisition. It's a kind of poison pill. In any case, EA seems to have become the MS of gaming...our way or no way. When was the last time EA offered an update patch without a price tag?

Capt._Tenneal
01-21-2005, 12:23 PM
I realized the extent of EA's power and greed when they just signed a 15-year deal with ESPN for sports games. ESPN was their last major competitor to the EA Sports line. Now there stands EA, a monopoly in the sports game business after assimilating their rival. I don't like where this is going . What will it mean for 1C:Maddox ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Blackdog5555
01-21-2005, 12:48 PM
It is just business. It is obvious to EA that UBIs stock is undervalued. Thats why the buy. They arent taking over. they are buying 25% of the company. Its a risk CEOs take when they suppress the value of their stock in a public company.

Texas LongHorn
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Ironically, I did game testing for years for EA. Of course, that was in the old days before they sold out to the console crowd. I did the beta for both Janes and the then partner Longbow I & II, F-15, the sub sim, etc. Times they have changed indeed. Now all it takes is some ten year old kid punching a gamepad to play a "GAME." Not a sim, a GAME. All the best, LongHorn

GT182
01-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Console arcade games will be the death of us all. That's all these companies think about these days, the fast buck from kids for expensive arcade cr*p. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

We're just lucky to have Oleg-1C Maddox Games and Shockwave Productions keeping the simulations going for us. Keep up the great work guys. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

New_York_Flyer
01-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Yea, the Janes series of sims was definatly the best of EA. Its so sad to see companies go downhill to appease the popular crowd.

Moses

Bearcat99
01-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Ubisoft took the initiative in the saga of their potential takeover by Electronic Arts yesterday by publishing their financial report - and cash registers are clearly ringing at Ubi HQ.

"For the third quarter of its financial year (October to December) Ubisoft recorded sales of over 186 million Euros and is projecting an increase in its fourth quarter (January to March) to over 220 million Euros, a record for the publisher. This would mean a profit of 40 to 45 million Euros for the year."

Hmmmm I wonder how much of that is directly due to 1C? Factor in the release of PF and all the people who went back and got FBGOLD behind it.... Im sure the new Splinter cell had somethting to do also but you have to consider that 1C has some input into those figures. I was personally responsible for selling over 30 copies of PF and Aces GOLD... thats in one store in one town....

NorrisMcWhirter
01-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi,

It might also be a good thing; while EA are obviously a corporate entity focused on results, there may also be more 'funding' available to maintain niche markets such as a flight sim.

If you look at UBI's forum front end, the Il-2 community has made a lot of posts over a long period of time indicating that there could well be a relatively risk-free revenue stream going on. I don't know if 1C contribute a 'loss' to UBI but it would be foolish to ignore a sector of the market who have 'bought into' this game; are slightly older, wiser, relatively well educated and, on the whole, probably have more disposable income than most 12 year old kids.

Cheers,
Norris

TAW_BlueDevil
01-21-2005, 09:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:

It might also be a good thing; while EA are obviously a corporate entity focused on results, there may also be more 'funding' available to maintain niche markets such as a flight sim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm guess you never flew in the old JCN lobby, or saw the limited support for many of their titles. I loved Janes WW2 fighters. But there were 3 patches or so for it, and all were interchangeable. Some people flew the 1.04 patch because of the great characteristics of oen plane there wehere others were using the 1.1

We have been very spoiled by such a quality sim as the IL2 series and the involvment and charactter of Oleg keeping certain things locked tight because he cares about his work and the quality. I'm afraid that if EA gets their hands in things more it might muddle things up rather than improve it.

Aaron_GT
01-22-2005, 03:30 AM
"Console arcade games will be the death of us all. "

If the flight sim market taps a section of the population that wouldn't buy those console games and a profit can be made selling to them then companies will sell flight sims to them. I wouldn't be surprised if in ten years the software is commoditised in terms of an open source flight sim physics engine, with different offerings built on top with different content. Software patents permitting...

WUAF_Badsight
01-22-2005, 04:03 AM
Combat Flight Sims

we love them , but they are a small cut of the gaming pie

basically , we dont matter

stansdds
01-22-2005, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> while EA are obviously a corporate entity focused on results, there may also be more 'funding' available to maintain niche markets such as a flight sim.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The market for real flight sims is very small, the market for action shoot 'em up fighter games is huge. Guess which way a big corporation that is interested in profits is going to go. Although it is nice to think that EA would inject cash into projects such as Pacific Fighters and the upcoming Battle of Britain, the odds are that any cash is going to be put towards making them great looking console games aimed at the teenager market. I think looking at EA's track record should tell a lot about their intentions.

Now I certainly hope that Oleg's flight sims do not end up as juvenile console games and perhaps they won't.

NorrisMcWhirter
01-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi,

Notice that I did say 'might' in that sentence; purely speculation.

You're right, though; things could very easily go the way of music and movies with low-risk, mass market only-good-for-one-picosecond consumer **** being churned out over and over again - that's a product of capitalism, though. Fortunately, tastes, like economies, are largely cyclical so there is hope for us yet.

Cheers,
Norris

Maj_Death
01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
The problem with flight sims is that they are a niche market, this is also their greatest advantage. There is a small but relatively rich (atleast compared to 12 year olds) that want flight sims and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get one. No company can sell large numbers of flight sims and honestly, they should stop trying to. What the flight sim industry needs to do is recognize that they are a niche market and that in order to be profitable they must concentrate on that niche and ignore all others. This means that they should not waste time and money developing multiple flight models for each plane so that the planes can have different difficulty levels. They need to create one flight model and one flight model only, that being the most realistic possible. They also need to recognize that because they can't sell large volume, they must charge more money for the product. A good flight sim should be priced at around $80, not $35. Microsoft knows this which is why the FS line has been a steller success for the past 20+ years. BTW this used to be standard but then many companies started cutting lots of corners. The most obvious of which for the IL2 line is the lack of manuels and piss poor consistancy in damage models.

The open source code stuff I think will remain but will never be all that great. The reason is because they are almost always massively multiplayer games with absolutely no offline capability at all and require monthly fee's for playing rather than a 1 time purchase fee.

LEXX_Luthor
01-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Good post Death. Targeting the smaller market they can advertise in the aviation, modelling, wargamer, and general military enthusiast magazines. Editorial reviews would pick them up and Review them as they should be reviewed (not like the arcade gaming review rags).

stands:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now I certainly hope that Oleg's flight sims do not end up as juvenile console games and perhaps they won't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Reminds me of that WoW game for both console and PC. Xtreme professional terrain grafix (far better than FB) and Xtreme Pro WW1 aircraft models--many of which are unkown except for the most hardcore WW1 military aviation enthusiasts. But game ended up as console game with all planes armed with rockets and campaigns where Player must fly through Health Points to win campaign, or some wad like that. Wondering if the (Czechoslovakian I believe) Developers wanted to make a real WW1 flight sim but their publisher told them releace it as arcade game only.

reisen52
01-22-2005, 05:53 PM
I think EA could care less about UBI's deal with Maddox. They have already closed all 3 of their in-house flight sim studios & voided their agreement with Pixel an outside flight sim provider.

UBI's Red Storm & the Clancy franchise; now that is something else all together & very attractive to EA.

EA wants to move millions of units not a few hundered thousand, just read their investor releations materials.

Zeke

DuxCorvan
01-23-2005, 08:23 AM
If EA takes command, BoB will never see the light. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Aeronautico
01-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Should BoB not be published by EA, I'm sure the work would not go wasted, and Oleg would find another (better?) publisher.

Beside that they have an agreement with UBI that would be inherited by EA, which would have to pay in case of cancellation.

sunflower1
01-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Maddox will have to sell direct, its as simple as that. Since its a niche market and the interent has made niche markets viable, he's set to go if he find the right #. Selling, General and Administrative costs, currently taken by UBI to service a market that can find its own way to water, end up in his hands.

Be sure.

indylavi
01-23-2005, 11:56 PM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=6090

Basically UBI is going to fight. Besides a merger this large will have to be aproved. Much like recent cell phone mergers that have occured. Given the US/French relations I doubt the French government will just allow this to take place. Not just out of spite but given that UBI is a large factor in keeping some entertainment influence in France

1.JaVA_Razer
01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
EA'll be the death off IL2 and 1C:Maddox Games if they take over.

If they do take over I'd advice 1C to find themselves a new publisher FAST and contineu work there.