PDA

View Full Version : My First GWX Glitch?

Fish40
01-23-2007, 09:06 AM
It's May 42', and I'm on patrol off the coast of Long Island, NY. I've noticed a small oddity in the periods of daylight, and night. In all my 43 years of living in the NY Metro area, I can't for the life of me remember when the sun came up at 10:00 AM. I do alot of Sport Fishing in the very areas that I'm patrolling, and I could tell you that at this time of the year (May in game), you could start to see hints of daylight by 4:30-5:00 AM!

I don't know for sure if "daylight savings time" was in effect during WWII, but still, I think the sun should be well up in the sky by 010:00 don't you think? Any ideas?

JFL13
01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Just noticed this "feature" yesterday, during my last patrol (May 1940). I was in quadrant BB near Halifax (Nova Scotia). I followed a large convoy and had to wait 2 a.m. for the sun to set. Sun came up around 10 a.m. indeed.

In light of both our experiences, it seems to me that the "day and night clock" is off by nearly four hours when closing the North American coast.

Fish40
01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I know that if you're in the Northern lattitudes, this is normal. Hence the term "6 months of daylight, and 6 months of dark. Although it's not really "black" dark, just more like an perpetual sunset. I don't think this applies to 40N Lattitude, which is more or less the area of NY.

schwarze_Katze
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
This used to throw me off a lot too. Then I discovered the "local time" feature. Hover your cursor over the time display to see local time. The time display you always see is GMT.

Fish40
01-23-2007, 10:27 AM
I'll have to try that. Thanks for that little tip. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

JFL13
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Thank you schwarze_Katze for the tip...

Now that you mention it, it seems obvious. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

schwarze_Katze
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
You're welcome, guys. It might seem obvious now, but I found it by accident myself. I laugh at myself for that; because when I was in the Navy, the boats I was on always had the radio, fire control, sonar and EMS systems set to GMT and the clocks set to local time unless on a very long deployment.