PDA

View Full Version : 128 servers are there any up?

Allah_Great
12-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi

Any new 128 servers up yet?

Troll2k
12-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Yes.Virtual Pilots on Hyperlobby.

TangmerePhilipp
12-03-2004, 04:46 AM
I^m surprised there have been very few posts (none that I^ve seen), that describe stability and lag issues with 128 playe3rs in game.

So, how does she run with 50 players? 60? 90?

Capt.LoneRanger
12-03-2004, 04:52 AM
The new server is great. Even on servers with 64+ players, it runs very smooth and stable.

I also like the new messages inculded. You get notified, where a plane was shot down. IMHO a VERY good method to compensate for lack of communications.

Tooz_69GIAP
12-03-2004, 05:11 AM
On War Clouds, there are some serious stutter issues. Everyone seemed to be experiencing freezes every 30secs when I was in there last, it seemed to be connected to the scripting.

Whenever the server informed us that there were aircraft being lost in XY, or ground targets being attacked in XY there were stutters.

And spawn lag was ridiculous. With up to 60 people, people are spawning every few seconds, and every time you would get a freeze. It's ridiculous.

TangmerePhilipp
12-03-2004, 05:28 AM
So two completely conflicting reports so far.That's interesting-could that mean that it has to do with the quality of the server and/or the types of missions loaded?

Osirisx9
12-03-2004, 06:10 AM
F4F vs Zekes is an ealy pacific war carrier battle server. It is also a 128 player server.

RAF238thOsiris.
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

Zen--
12-03-2004, 06:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
On War Clouds, there are some serious stutter issues. Everyone seemed to be experiencing freezes every 30secs when I was in there last, it seemed to be connected to the scripting.

Whenever the server informed us that there were aircraft being lost in XY, or ground targets being attacked in XY there were stutters.

And spawn lag was ridiculous. With up to 60 people, people are spawning every few seconds, and every time you would get a freeze. It's ridiculous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still investigating this one but don't blame warclouds specifically, Oleg mentioned that rendering for objects is done differently now to accomodate 128 players online. I remember something to the effect that only objects near the player are rendered, but what that range is I don't know.

What I have seen on WC from the testing we did is that the old trick of using static planes no longer seems to help prevent spawn lag. What appeared to be happening was that the closer you went to the enemy base, the less spawn lag you tended to experience. For players at the opposite enemy base on the other side of the map, spawn lag could be pretty bad...but all this seemed highest at first then steadily disappeared as time went on. For me it was tough in the beginning but within 20-30 minutes I don't even recall noticing spawn lag or freezes.

I can't say this was experienced by everyone during the testing, it seemed to affect guys with mid range video cards like my Ti4600 more than guys using higher end cards like the 6800. It didn't affect everyone equally either and I couldn't put a direct connection on range to spawning aircraft and how it tied in with spawn lag.

More details from the Devs would be nice about how exactly the new rendering methods work because it's pretty clear that the tried and true lag eliminating tricks don't seem to be working as well as they used to.

I still don't have enough information to pinpoint the cause just yet, but I would recommend not to assume this is the servers fault through mismanagement or something...all the DS I've flown on so far have had the issue to one degree or another. And it does seem to go away the longer you fly, but I'm not sure why yet or if thats just my own experience.

<S>

Greenwidth
12-03-2004, 07:07 AM
I only had time for a quick sortie on Virtualpilots (never had any probs), and with 64 players it was verging on unplayable. I tried dropping the screen res, but no difference..
FPS meter looked like a random number generator..
But, my PC ain't great:
XP1800
GF4 Ti4200
1Gb RAM

Korbelz
12-03-2004, 11:10 AM
yea the near player rendering seems to be it on war clouds..as i came to a target area i would get very short pause. me and a squadmate were still able to hold a formation of HE111's within .10 of each for defensive fire.