PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Please on a HW Issue...



Willie999
05-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask for some advice, and possibly the answers given will help others as well.

I've been an avid player with IL2+ACES+FB sims for quite a while, and yes it's been said before, Oleg and his team have done such a great piece of work on this series, so many thanks for those enjoyable odd hours after work of just relaxing, and "chewing up" the skies...great fun.

With great interest I have noted we are to be introduced to another nice sim series toward the end of this year, and now onto my question.

Since about 1 year I've succesively upgraded my hardware to a very high standard. A few years before one's PC was able to be up to standard for about 2 maybe 2 1/2 years, before getting a more powerful system, but in the recent past the hardware changes have been popping up with new CPUs / RAM types and Graphic cards every 6 months or so.

I personally do not adhere to this "rat" race and do not really agree with the prices that are being placed on such new high end items. For most of us "non millionairs" we can't really afford a system change every 8 months.

Thus as in my case I've invested in good HW which will allow me to use former parts of my system on a more powerfull platform, thus making my hardware investment worth while over a 2 to 3 year time frame.

Presently I have an ATI X800XT PE (AGP 8), 2 S-ATA drives (configured as a logical mirror), 2GB of Kingston RAM.(DDR 400 Dual channel)

The above was all running on a NForce 2 motherboard with an AMD 3200+ Barton. I've now replaced this board with an MSI Neo 939 socket high end board, and an AMD64 3200 CPU.

All the former components like my AGP card and S-ATA drives, and RAM just needed to be exchanged over to the new 939 board, and the system is running very well.

Since the 939 socket may be going out of commission in just over six months, with the advent of the new AMD series, I was at a loss of what type of CPU I should be getting. I thus settled for the AMD64 3200, in the hope that the X2 AMD dual cores will be more afordable toward the end of this year, and thus invest in one of these units.

But is this advisable? With the new sim arriving soon, will a single core AMD64 of a higher speed be enough?

Any suggestions toward this end would be very much appreciated. I must also note that I also professionaly work with my system, I do a lot with VMware and Virtual PC, and need to test several network configurations, server config etc.

Thus my thought of getting an AMD dual core, and also having a system which will be good enough to run IL2+FB and natuarally the new up coming sim Battle of Britian from Oleg and his team.

I am hoping that my present setup with the 939 MB etc would suffice for the the next 1 1/2 to 2 years.

So, there it is....all feed back and suggestions are most welcome.

Kind regards.....Willie

vocatx
05-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm running a socket 939 motherboard with a 3500+ processor right now, but with PCIe. There are some pretty powerful 939 processors on the market, but I think your biggest bottle-neck will be using an AGP video card.

I plan on waiting until BoB has been out for a month or two before I even think about up-grading. I think I'll be able to get by without changing more than my processor and possibly my video card, as I recently up-graded to two gigs of RAM. I, like you, am no millionare. I'm not even going to try to have a top system, just a really good mid-range system.

VW-IceFire
05-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Personally I'm going to wait till after BoB comes out for the system upgrade. Willie, you've got a better system than I do (I'm a 2700+ TBred-B, 1GB Shika, XFX 6600GT) and I'm planning to hang in there till early 2007. I want to see what happens with Windows Vista and see where BoB goes in the requirements department before I go for the upgrade.

ATI's and nVidia's next gen cards should be fully out by then and the prices on the previous gen will drop like heavily laden rocks.

You can wait till forever I realize but I'm waiting personally see where all the cards fall before I do the upgrade. My current system is beefy enough to get me past the next few months.

stansdds
05-31-2006, 03:48 AM
Another vote for "wait and see".

BadA1m
05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
MMMMMM. Yeah, I'll go with wait and see as well. AMD will be coming out with a new socket to go with the change to DDR2 memory by the end of the year, and I believe Intel has a new one in the works also. AGP is on its last legs, but the good news is Nvidia has some prety hot AGP cards if you want to hang for now. As for the processor, the AMD 3700+ is the sleeper proc. of the year: 1MB L2, dirt cheap and overclocks like a big dog, (I had mine up to 2750mgz, but turned it back down because I don't need that much). Again, all that said, I think wait and see is in order, not only for BOB but also for the big hardware changes that are coming up.