PDA

View Full Version : Remove/change smoke from tracerbullets, Oleg ?

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 04:39 PM
I dont like the way the smoke looks from all tracerbullets in the game. They are too thick and doesnt look good, it looks better without them, or they should be shorter and more transparent, well thats what I think

You´ll probobly get more fps in the game without them or if the were reduced a bit.

Please do something!

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 04:39 PM
I dont like the way the smoke looks from all tracerbullets in the game. They are too thick and doesnt look good, it looks better without them, or they should be shorter and more transparent, well thats what I think

You´ll probobly get more fps in the game without them or if the were reduced a bit.

Please do something!

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 04:51 PM
I think the majority of people would totally disagree with you. Tracers are very important for aim. Not being able to see the bullets path kills your aim. I like the tracer look from the LW aircraft, but when I fly an Allied plane, I can hardly see it at all, and my aim suffers.

If you are going to do anything about tracer fire... increase the vieable tracers out of the 50 cal!

<html>
<body>
<p align="center"><a href="http://www.ghostskies.com">http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/crash2.gif
</body>
</html>

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 05:13 PM
My FPS often suffers when I fire, certainly ruins aim more than if tracers are off and it runs smooth.
Would be nice to have the option to turn them on/off, IF it helps FPS that is...

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 07:09 PM
I agree with making tracer smoke adjustable from the current level down to none at all.

The same goes for the muzzle flashes. They are way too intense.

Any effects that don't unbalance online play should be optional for those with graphically challenged equipment.

-WhtBoy.

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 07:28 PM
looking at gun camera film from ww2, the smoke fx's on the tracers on the 109/190's are accurate. their guns did produce thick smoke that could be seen for quite some distance. the 50 calibers are still off a bit. they're still too faint compared to the gun camera footage of the american planes; they stood out like beacons in the war camera's, but not in fb.

at least u do have some sort of tracer fire...in cfs2, u didnt have tracer smoke. all u had was little white dots. but the gunnery of cfs2 wasnt anything like fb either...shots from 1000' were possible with heavy damage. that's 304.8 meters...hell of a long range firing capability with practically no bullet drop.

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 07:49 AM
VMF513_Sandman wrote:
- looking at gun camera film from ww2, the smoke fx's
- on the tracers on the 109/190's are accurate. their
- guns did produce thick smoke that could be seen for
- quite some distance. the 50 calibers are still off
- a bit. they're still too faint compared to the gun
- camera footage of the american planes; they stood
- out like beacons in the war camera's, but not in fb.
-
- at least u do have some sort of tracer fire...in
- cfs2, u didnt have tracer smoke. all u had was
- little white dots. but the gunnery of cfs2 wasnt
- anything like fb either...shots from 1000' were
- possible with heavy damage. that's 304.8
- meters...hell of a long range firing capability with
- practically no bullet drop.
-
-

You have to remember that gun cameras had a long shutter speed and a low frame rate... The bullet can travel a couple of feet while the shutter on the camera is open, exposing a trail on the film instead of a dot. Your eyes don't do this as much, although it would look cool.

These two things combined make the tracers you see on gun cameras long and snake like, nothing like how they would have looked in real life.

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 09:53 AM
I agree. Gun camera footage is misleading and deceptive to say the least. In real life you don't have streaks of fire coming out of your gun. Anyone who's been in the Army will tell you that tracer bullets look like fiery dots or rather peas flying one after another. Add smoke tracer to them and you get what you have in FB. Pretty accurately modeled in my opinion.

As far as muzzle flash, their are true to life in the game too. In certain aircraft like BF110 night fighter, the pilots have a real blinding problem when firing their nose guns.

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 11:38 AM
L.O.O.L wrote:
- I dont like the way the smoke looks from all
- tracerbullets in the game. They are too thick and
- doesnt look good, it looks better without them, or
- they should be shorter and more transparent, well
- thats what I think
-
- You´ll probobly get more fps in the game without
- them or if the were reduced a bit.
-
- Please do something!

Please do NOTHING!
They are perfect and realistic. Watch for some guncamera please.

Totally disagree!

Best regards.

269GA~Veltro
http://ourworld.cs.com/VeltroF/tenente.JPG

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Well I think it would be great if they add so you can turn off tracer smoke, that would help your fps alot I think.

Here is a film from WWII (in colour), showing some nice tracerbullets =)

http://www.home.no/chronox/film/WWII_2.rar

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
I have fired and observed 50 cal with tracer rounds and there was NO visible smoke trail from the tracer rounds they could be seen as a white dot. This was in the 1960's so I'm not sure this would be exactly the same kind of tracer used in WW2 fighter rounds. Also the gun smoked a little...smoke from the barrel end which is absent in FB for some reason.
There was no visible muzzel flash either..not in daylight and I did not fire the gun at night where I believe muzzel flash is quite visible.
So from my personal experience at firing the weapon and also watching it being fired I would say for 50 cal. what would be accurate graphically would be:
1.No visible gun flash in daylight (visible at night)
2.Smoke from gun as it fires
3.Tracers that appear as a white dot (I assume color would be variable depending on type of tracer).

I would think that asking some WW2 pilots that fired the 50 cal would answer this question and put and end to the discussion of what is graphically correct....has anyone done that?

"Nothing difficult is ever easy"

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 07:03 PM
The glow from tracers comes from phosphorus in the base of the shell/bullet that is ignited by the burning powder as the shell is fired. Phosphorus produces smoke as it burns. From what I've seen, the only projectiles that have the large smoke trail are the larger cannon shells, which presumably have a larger quantity of phosphorus in the base than the smaller .50 and .30 cal bullets, so the amount of smoke from larger shells in the game seems consistent.

Yeah? Well, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man. -The Dude

XyZspineZyX
12-10-2003, 03:49 PM
L.O.O.L wrote:
- I dont like the way the smoke looks from all
- tracerbullets in the game. They are too thick and
- doesnt look good, it looks better without them, or
- they should be shorter and more transparent, well
- thats what I think
-
- You´ll probobly get more fps in the game without
- them or if the were reduced a bit.