PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly all over or... why did I do this to myself.

Worf101
10-07-2004, 11:33 AM
I've been flying IL2 for years. Until now I'd always used a twist stick, throttle, Joystick combo. My last stick was the Saitek Cyborg EVO. Not a bad stick and I had no intention of changing up until I saw a HOTAS set up on ebay.

The price for the Cougar HOTAS was too cheap to pass up, so I bit. In order to complete the "immersive feel" of the experience I also copped a pair of used CH Pro Pedals. Now I've a stick, rudder controls and a throttle covered with buttons and knobs and guess what???

I frickin hate this. I can't fly for snot anymore. The rudders seem counter intuitive. My desk is NOT set up for proper placement of the throttle to make it comfortable and I'm flying like a noob. Sigh....

Why did I do this to myself. I practice every day and I still can barely shoot down bombers on granny settings in the QMB!!! Any suggestion?

Da Worfster

Kasdeya
10-07-2004, 11:43 AM
It takes awhile to get used to the new joystick. It took me about a week and a half to get adjusted. Make sure you go and fool with the settings in both the config of the joystick and the one inside IL2's main menu. Might be just a bit too touchy or not touchy enough for ya.

Patience grasshopper, your ability will return.

AusDerReihe
10-07-2004, 12:02 PM
i've found that the "comfortness" of the position i'm in when i fly is very important. whn i fly i sit in a chair with arm-rests, a wooden plank sitting on top of the arm-rests and the stick, throttle, keyboard and mouse on top of that.

and yeah, the pedals get some time getting used to.

as for the Cougar itself, be sure to get the newest drivers and the FOXY program, where you can calibrate it properly and adjust all axes to your liking. go to http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/index.php for one of the best Cougar resource sites.

ednavar
10-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I will more than glad to buy your cougar if you feel like going back to a kid stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

S!

Jaws2002
10-07-2004, 12:46 PM
It takes few good weeks of training to get used to the CH pedals but is a completely new level of control. The pedals are so accurate and you have much more control. You don't move the rudder every time you move the stick.
Stay in there and practice. I could never go back to twisty stick.
Good luck, you'll love it soon.

jeroenrepk
10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
lol, I've had this experience too! I switched from the logitech extreme digital to the Saitek X-45. The first couple of day's I thought... Why did I change??? I'm flying a hell of a lot better with the logitech stick.

But after a few weeks of flying I'm up to level again, and I found out the X-45 is much better, no need for the keyboard and I'm using the padlock a lot less.