PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy vs Japanese Books?

CzechTexan
12-13-2010, 06:07 PM
A friend gave me the book KAMIKAZES, CORSAIRS, AND PICKET SHIPS about the actions around Okinawa. I just started reading it but I don't think it describes any Royal Navy actions.

I've always been interested in the RN-Pacific ever since I heard about there being another allied navy in the Pacific besides the USN. Plus, since it is the Forgotten Fleet, that makes it much more interesing for forgotten battles.

I found a couple of books - The FORGOTTEN FLEET-which is probably the best on the subject?? - and OPERATION PACIFIC. I don't have these two books but only read the reviews at Amazon.

What I'm really interested in are detailed accounts of the air combat that took place in this theater of war...Indian Ocean and Pacific, Palembang, Sakishima, Okinawa, to Japan.

AIR WAR FOR BURMA by Shores does have some good accounts of the Palembang actions but it stops there.
Are there any other books or sources where I can get info on air combat of the RN vs. Japanese?

VW-IceFire
12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't have the book but Seafire VS Zero looks pretty interesting and I might try and pick it up at some point. The RN was pretty active in the last portion of the war and Seafire's apparently flew all over the place over Japan on combat air patrols.

It's almost nearly forgotten about.

Also you should try and look up "Hammy" Grey. He was a Canadian pilot flying with the RN. His Corsair was involved in an attack on Japanese Navy ships in the later stages of the war when his Corsair was hit. He managed to sink a destroyer with a 500lb bomb before his Corsair went down. He was one of the few Canadians awarded the Victoria cross.

SteamBat
12-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Task Force 57 by Peter C Smith, is a very good read.

larschance
12-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Carrier Operations by the late Lt Cdr David Brown gives a good overview of FAA ops. Originally in two volumes it was recently reissued as one volume with additional material. Also Ray Sturtivant has written several books on the aircraft and units if you can find them.

R_Target
12-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Norman Hanson's Carrier Pilot is excellent for the pilot's perspective.

CzechTexan
12-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I read Carrier Pilot years ago and I think it's a very good book.
Thanks to all of you who responded.
I prefer books over websites but I wonder if there are any websites on this subject?

Wildnoob
12-14-2010, 09:03 PM
That's a really interesting subject. I will look to buy books about it, too.

Padser
12-17-2010, 05:33 AM
If I remember rightly, this book mentions actions against the Japanese with Seafires - though I don't recall any Seafire vs Zero scraps...

They gave me a seafire

http://aircrewbookreview.blogs...ike-crosley-dsc.html (http://aircrewbookreview.blogspot.com/2010/01/they-gave-me-seafire-mike-crosley-dsc.html)

Cheers,

Pads