PDA

View Full Version : People bailing before being shot down??



Jex_TE
11-07-2008, 10:27 AM
The other day on HL I got in behind some opponent and, with not much chance of hitting as my gunnery is severaly lacking right now, I squeezed out a few shots that went wide and then I started to over shoot. My opponenets plane was instact but as soon as my shots went passed him, he bailed! There was absolutely no damage to his plane and I can't work out why he jumped??

noobisoft
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
It's the economy.

Tab_Flettner
11-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Activist Judges

WholeHawg
11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Maybe your shooting convinced him to become a pacifist and take up flying MSFS X?

TheFamilyMan
11-07-2008, 11:02 AM
1. Accidental joystick or keyboard button press
2. Was having a bad day and wanted to mess with your head.
3. (most likely) Had no confidence and wanted to prevent a potential kill; basically someone whose main concern are stats.

DuxCorvan
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
A sudden sense of sadness and melancholy assaulted him with suicidal fantasies.

Or maybe he pressed Ctrl+E.

JG52Uther
11-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Better than waiting until you shoot their wing off,then they disconnect!
Thats really funny. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

SeaFireLIV
11-07-2008, 11:35 AM
1, he panicked and hit the wrong button. Had someone tell me that once.

2, You actually did get a lucky hit and damaged his controls. He decided to bail rather than struggle on.

3. He was scared he was going to die.

Divine-Wind
11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
Or maybe he pressed Ctrl+E.
lol

Maybe it was a newer pilot who freak'd out as soon as you started hitting him, and so he bailed.

rnzoli
11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
he realized he took "empty" loadout

K_Freddie
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Must be a FPS noob, worried about his score points - shame.

josephs1959
11-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:

3. (most likely) Had no confidence and wanted to prevent a potential kill; basically someone whose main concern are stats.

FamilyMan I believe your third point to be true, especially the second part.
I have had this happen to me on-line a handful of times.
Any pilot worth his salt wouldn't do something like this even by accident.
What he ends up doing is not learning (through experience) defensive maneuvers and as such never improves.

I myself have had swiss cheese for a wing and still kept up the fight as long as I could. never give up, Luck and the other's pilots inexperience just might turn in your favor.

By practicing this you learn;
1) How not to panic even in a hopeless situation
2)By doing some crazy manuever you might just learn something about your planes reponse.

So going through the eye of the needle only helps you in the end.

Remember, you don't really burn or die. IT'S ONLY A SIMULATION!
Ouch! that's hot!

SlickStick
11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Guaranteed Stat***** tactic to avoid a hit to their K/D ratio. Happens all the time on those types of servers. You get used to it, especially when you stop and think how little it really matters.

crucislancer
11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I prefer to think that not everyone is going to pull some BS stunt like disconnecting to preserve stats, at least at first.

Some servers ask that you hit "Refly" before disconnecting, and the quickest way to do that while in the air is to bail out. He may not have known that you were behind him, and was in the process of bailing out when you fired at him. I've had to do this a few times as well, especially when the kids decide to make a ruckus and I need to make a quick exit from the server.

Like someone else said, perhaps you had hit him, and took out his elevator or aileron controls.

About once a week or so my X52 loses calibration while playing IL-2, if I'm offline I can pause the game and fix the problem by pulling out the lead to the joystick and reinserting it. If it happens online, sometimes the only option is to go back to the map screen, and in some extreme cases log out of the server altogether.

Or, none of these could be true and it was a stathound or a rookie who had no clue what he was doing.

DuxCorvan
11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by josephs1959:
1) How not to panic even in a hopeless situation

(...)

Remember, you don't really burn or die. IT'S ONLY A SIMULATION!

Exactly. There are no hopeless situations in video games, so why should anyone "panic" about a d*mn game?

It's something I don't get about some gamers, specially adult, grown people.

I_KG100_Prien
11-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Stats mean everything to internet cred.

Same reason why people continue shooting rounds into a bomber that has both engines ablaze and the crew 2km behind it- dangling in their 'chutes.

This is after someone ELSE did all the work of shooting up said plane. They GOTTA get that kill credit to make the sig they get from WarClouds worth posting on forums.

l33t.

Though, just remember when you're flying online thanks to latency and whatnot you might not "seen" hits but some were registered. You can record tracks of your online gameplay, and when you re-watch them sometimes you'll see the effects of lag. Example: You got shot down, but when you re watch the track it'll look like all the shots missed.

I'll bail out of a plane on Dogfight servers if I get controls shot out. This is usually because the pilot who damaged me may not know the extend of damage and will continue to pursue the kill- whilst I no longer have the means to effectively resist and evade. So I concede the fight by Ctrl-E.

general_kalle
11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
when you a new to First person shooters you WILL get to know what it means to panic even in a video game...dont know about flightsims though.

Codex1971
11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
The kettle had finished boiling http://www.smileyhut.com/working/coffee1.gif

josephs1959
11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by josephs1959:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:

3. (most likely) Had no confidence and wanted to prevent a potential kill; basically someone whose main concern are stats.

FamilyMan I believe your third point to be true, especially the second part.
I have had this happen to me on-line a handful of times.
Any pilot worth his salt wouldn't do something like this even by accident.
What he ends up doing is not learning (through experience) defensive maneuvers for example and as such never improves.

I myself have had swiss cheese for a wing and still kept up the fight as long as I could. never give up, Luck and the other's pilots inexperience just might turn in your favor.

By practicing this you learn;
1) How not to panic even in a hopeless situation
2)By doing some crazy manuever you might just learn something about your planes reponse.

So going through the eye of the needle only helps you in the end.

Remember, you don't really burn or die. IT'S ONLY A SIMULATION!
Ouch! that's hot!
Instaed of starting another post I'll just add this to my previous statement.

Speaking for myself when I first started to fly on-line I was surprised and frustrtated at how eaisly it was to get killed.(GAME BEING CORRECT OR NOT)
Promising myself that I wouldn't do that again only to die again in the exact same manner.
As time passed I learned that sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.
You either have a great night or a terrible one. It's the wise player that knows early to reconize it and go to bed.
But as I gained knowldege and experience I survived longer and longer.
Besides the fun one may have on-line, if one doesn't let the game get to oneself. You can actually learn something about history and yourself.I've played with some real babies some nights.
Players who are I feel overconcerned with stats are really doing themselves a disfavor.

I feel that this game adds another dimension to history simply because one partakes in it instead of reading it.
You can really learn alot about history and get if only a unidimentional experience to what those pilots must have gone through.

Stiletto-
11-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Wait until he opens his chute and cut him down. That way you still get a kill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Zeus-cat
11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
He may have had aieleron or elevator damage that you didn't see. When he saw shots going by him he may have decided to get out as he had no realistic chance of survivng. I have done that in coops.

SeaFireLIV
11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by SlickStick:
Guaranteed Stat***** tactic to avoid a hit to their K/D ratio. Happens all the time on those types of servers. You get used to it, especially when you stop and think how little it really matters.

Never thought of a stat ***** thing. I was being a bit tongue in cheek before, but wow, so every time there`s even a slight chance he may be killed he bails? Some people are sad if that`s why.

Jaws2002
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Or maybe he was hit and damaged before your attack and he was just trying to nurse the plane home.
Once he saw he was picked up again, he knew it was futile and just bailed.

In real world any one of you would have done the same.

Honestly what is so bad about bailing out. Do really all planes have to go down in flames with pilot and all? Do all pilots have to fight to the death http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Von_Rat
11-07-2008, 06:43 PM
They GOTTA get that kill credit to make the sig they get from WarClouds worth posting on forums.


actually with wc stats, if you bail or disconnect your stats still take the hit. it'll be the same as if you got shotdown.

crucislancer
11-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:
Honestly what is so bad about bailing out. Do really all planes have to go down in flames with pilot and all? Do all pilots have to fight to the death http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

BONZAI!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RPMcMurphy
11-07-2008, 07:53 PM
1. The guy was dirctly over his own house when he realized he left the iron on.
2. He was a cowardly sissy.
3. He looked down and saw the Playboy mansion.

WeedEater9p
11-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Stiletto-:
Wait until he opens his chute and cut him down. That way you still get a kill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Oh that's evil... but oh so fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Whirlin_merlin
11-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:
Or maybe he was hit and damaged before your attack and he was just trying to nurse the plane home.
Once he saw he was picked up again, he knew it was futile and just bailed.



I've been in that situation and bailed, not least because that way the guy who took me out (in the first place) will get the points for winning. After all it is a game and points are part of it.

Brain32
11-08-2008, 08:31 AM
OK, so a guy that bails out of undamaged plane is a stat*****, a sick mentally unhealty person obssesed with stats?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
What's a guy going out of his mind of anger because he didn't get the credit for a kill because of this guy above?

Player_43
11-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Brain32:
OK, so a guy that bails out of undamaged plane is a stat*****, a sick mentally unhealty person obssesed with stats?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
What's a guy going out of his mind of anger because he didn't get the credit for a kill because of this guy above?

Shoot him as soon as he opens his chute, this will be recorded as a regular kill (as said before)

But on some servers killing bailed out pilots is considered as an act of cowardice.

I was even banned several times for doing that ... why ?

Jaws2002
11-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Player_43:

Shoot him *** soon as he opens his chute, this will be recorded as a regular kill (as said before)

But on some servers killing bailed out pilots is considered as an act of cowardice.

I was even banned several times for doing that ... why ?

Because a pilot that took to the chute is not considered enemy combatant.
In real life shooting a chute is considered a war crime.

You have to be really unsecure to be afraid of that pilot hanging in the chute.
Or is it the 100 points (that most likely someone else worked for) that makes you shoot a chute? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

So who's the points ***** here?

LEBillfish
11-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Who cares "why" he did it.....You just rid the sky of an enemy combatant and aircraft. More so you did so with little ammo leaving you the ability to do the same to others.

WWII aces would of loved such an occurance. Gripe when they start "exiting" the sim after being shot by you simply to not have it be listed that "you" shot them down.

Don't worry......Be happy.

K2

Player_43
11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Player_43:

Shoot him *** soon as he opens his chute, this will be recorded as a regular kill (as said before)

But on some servers killing bailed out pilots is considered as an act of cowardice.

I was even banned several times for doing that ... why ?

Because a pilot that took to the chute is not considered enemy combatant.
In real life shooting a chute is considered a war crime.

You have to be really unsecure to be afraid of that pilot hanging in the chute.
Or is it the 100 points (that most likely someone else worked for) that makes you shoot a chute? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

So who's the points ***** here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not correct.

If the japanese lost the air war it was because they were missing experimented pilots. Same story for germany.

It is obvious that it is necessary to eleminate the ennemy skilled fighters and it is not considered as a war crime (that's a nonsense) ... as it is part of the strategy to win ...

In real war, if you let your opponent live, next time you might find him in your six with a brain new plane. Don't be so naive ... war is not about honor but about victory.

RPMcMurphy
11-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Player_43:

If the japanese lost the air war it was because they were missing experimented pilots.


Was'nt there a song by Hendrix called: Are you Experimented?

Player_43
11-08-2008, 01:24 PM
It seems that Jaws2002 has been shooted on his chute (what the f was he doing there ? ;-) so many times that the angryness pushes him to calls his server friends 'point *****s' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Personaly I don't check my score (don't even know how it works ... I'm there only for the fun of flying and killing or being killed sometimes) but I still think that shooting shutes is fun, and it is also a good exercice, escpecially if you manage to shoot the looser even before he opened his chute.

The only point on which I agree is about kill stealing when shooting the chute somebody elses kill that bailed out. But if it is your kill, I don't see any problem in chooting the guy who lost the df even if he bailed out as it is an historical tactik.

rnzoli
11-08-2008, 01:33 PM
as it is an historical tactik. you seem to mix up historical incidents with historical tactics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

by the way, how often do you get killed on the chute and is it also fun when you are on the receiving end of the (simulated) war crimes? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Who cares "why" he did it.....You just rid the sky of an enemy combatant and aircraft. More so you did so with little ammo leaving you the ability to do the same to others.

WWII aces would of loved such an occurance. Gripe when they start "exiting" the sim after being shot by you simply to not have it be listed that "you" shot them down.

Don't worry......Be happy.

K2

No, she`s right. One aircraft is out of the operation and possibly a pilot if captured. point is, this battle is won. Who cares why he jumped. I couldn`t care less if it`s to save his poxy stats.

DuxCorvan
11-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Stat obsession spoiled completely BF2 for me. The stupid "rank" thing made all the geeks take it so seriously and be so obsessed with their virtual "fame", that it became a completely unpleasant experience for newcomers or ppl like me that just played now and then for the thrill and the fun.

Being a team game, you would be kicked just for not being good enough to the "excellence" of the server guy and his mates, or for being too good and being between them and their greed for points.

Jex_TE
11-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Like someone else said, perhaps you had hit him, and took out his elevator or aileron controls.



One thing I know about my lack in gunnery skills is that I know when I miss. He was close and I was closing on him fast so I took a snap shot and as soon as my bullets went wide over his plane he bailed. His plane was manouvering fine and there was no sign of any external damage which is why I was so surprised to see him bail. There were about 10 planes all flying around in that area at the time.

Yes it is possible that he had taken some damage but the fact that his plane was managing barrel rolls and hard turns just seconds before leaves me to believe his bird was fine.

Jex_TE
11-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
when you a new to First person shooters you WILL get to know what it means to panic even in a video game...dont know about flightsims though.

I've played FPS's for over 10 years and never "panicked" in any of them.

gizmo60
11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Maybe he just had to go (dinner, bed, work, telephone doorbell toilet etc etc)and didn't want to get involved in another fight.

Trinity_Jay
11-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I had a recent dogfight on the Skies of Fire server. Me in a Dora and my opponent in a late-mark Spitfire. It was a close run thing and went on for a while, disengaging to climb, revaluate the situation and to get the upper hand. It was hectic and aggressive to the extreme.

I had one quick burst and must have damaged him as he flew back to his own lines. I followed, at the same time aware that I might be bounced by others. When I came to within firing range - we were well within his own territory at this stage - he bailed out leaving me frustrated. I presume he had points and statistics and wanted to keep them, all the while keeping an eye on me when I was I within my 250m firing solution.

So I shot him in his chute. It's the horrors of war, I tells ya.

CPS_Bulldog

Sturm_Williger
11-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Trinity_Jay:
.... - he bailed out leaving me frustrated....
CPS_Bulldog

Why ? You got the kill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

LEBillfish
11-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Trinity_Jay:
......So I shot him in his chute. It's the horrors of war, I tells ya.

CPS_Bulldog


http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif.......

rnzoli
11-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Sturm_Williger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trinity_Jay:
.... - he bailed out leaving me frustrated....
CPS_Bulldog

Why ? You got the kill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Answer:

Originally posted by Trinity_Jay:
It was hectic and aggressive to the extreme.

What ending do you expect from a fight like that? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Whirlin_merlin
11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Player_43:
It seems that Jaws2002 has been shooted on his chute (what the f was he doing there ? ;-) so many times that the angryness pushes him to calls his server friends 'point *****s' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif



One thing is that is obvious is that you have never flown with Jaws.

I'm not surprised you've been banned from servers, it realy doesn't matter what you feel about cute shooting, if the rules of a server say don't do it then you either don't do it or you fly elsewhere.

Trinity_Jay
11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
It felt a little good to pummel him with cannon fire and see him fall to the ground like a rag doll! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DuxCorvan
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Jex_TE:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:
when you a new to First person shooters you WILL get to know what it means to panic even in a video game...dont know about flightsims though.

I've played FPS's for over 10 years and never "panicked" in any of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you're not emotional enough:
Emotional gamer (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ps_yvogVBcY) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Divine-Wind
11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
The only time I panic in an FPS is when there are zombies.

Maybe the pilot thought you were a zombie?

halfcool
11-10-2008, 12:50 PM
This happened to me a few times, the shots would cut my god damn rudder and possibly more crucial maneuvering tools, I would just bail. I didnt know there were "stat *****s" out there though. I would cut that mofo down while he floated to the earth if anyone ever pulled that me.

Divine-Wind
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by halfcool:
This happened to me a few times, the shots would cut my god damn rudder and possibly more crucial maneuvering tools, I would just bail. I didnt know there were "stat *****s" out there though. I would cut that mofo down while he floated to the earth if anyone ever pulled that me.
IMO something that futile is not worth the wasted ammo, not to mention the energy I'd probably use up getting into position.
On a full real server a bail would probably count as a kill, so I'd just move on.

Well, after celebrating over my rare victory, of course. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WhiteKnight77
11-11-2008, 12:52 AM
There is a plague on XBox Live (not that it matters for a flight sim mind you) that players in ranked matches disconnect if they are losing so that they do not lose their rank. I wonder if said bailer was thinking along those lines.

:shrug:

Erkki_M
11-11-2008, 01:05 AM
A stats ***** = someone who wants to avoid getting killed?

Are you serious? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

WhiteKnight77
11-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Erkki_M:
A stats ***** = someone who wants to avoid getting killed?

Are you serious? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Very.

Erkki_M
11-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Dunno about you, but I play this game as a sim, not an aerial version of Unreal Tournament or Counter Strike. I would never disconnect to avoid KIA, but beiling out being cheating? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WOLFMondo
11-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Server or client lag/prediction problems meant you might have hit him and took out his elevators and at that point he decided to bail. I'd probably have done the same if I saw you were going to overshoot anyway.

Feathered_IV
11-11-2008, 05:13 AM
There are several famous accounts of late-war Luftwaffe pilots bailing out as soon as they were confronted with allied fighters. Maybe this chap was doing a bit of roleplaying. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

P.FunkAdelic
11-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
There is a plague on XBox Live (not that it matters for a flight sim mind you) that players in ranked matches disconnect if they are losing so that they do not lose their rank. I wonder if said bailer was thinking along those lines.

:shrug:
Someone want to tell me why disconnecting in the midst of a game isn't counted as a forfeit and still marked on your record? If you walked off a soccer pitch or out of a hockey stadium then you would lose even if you didn't finish the game.

I would think that disconnects being counted as forfeits would immediately end this issue. Its only fair, even if you get cut from the server by technical failure. Just count the disconnect as a bailout or sommat. In xbox games it'd be easy enough to just count the guy left online as the winner of the match.

badatit
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I see the canopy come off, I go into target practice mode...try to pop him before he can pull the rip-cord.
It's a real drag when I have to turn around and make a second pass.

If I bail out of an aircraft....It's on fire.
Usually when I "need" to bail, I've lost a wing, and chances of getting out are slim to none.

What's a bit of damage. Ride it to the ground...On more than one occasion I've flown across the map and RTB'd with nothing left but rudder and engine...as I'm sure many here have.

When someone hammers me to the ground, they get a kill.

Stiletto-
11-11-2008, 05:11 PM
And don't forget.. If he doesn't disconnect and you know he is going to hit refly and you were over enemy territory and his base is close.. Go over his base while pressing the S key every few seconds.. Once his plane pops up from where it used to be none you now know he just spawned and you should have visuals on this newly popped up aircraft. Now that you are sure of his plane, go in for the vulch! It's hard to bail out and avoid gunfire when you are already on the ground. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif