PDA

View Full Version : OT: Advice one a new PC!

FE_pilot
05-23-2007, 10:27 PM
My pc is acting a little weird lately. It sometimes shuts down without warning, it happened twice today in a matter of minutes. I think its time for a new pc.

Before i upgrade i want your advice, because i only want a pc that will run the latest flight sims. I want to upgrade for KOTS now. I have chosen a custom build pc that is only $800.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-2-Duo-E6700-Dual-Core-2G...140076QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-2-Duo-E6700-Dual-Core-2GB-DDR2-DVDRW-250GB_W0QQitemZ220106594312QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1400 76QQcmdZViewItem)

When BOB comes out and i have saved a little more money i plan to upgrade yet again with a quad core cpu and SLI video cards.

I want to know if the system above is able to upgrade to what i want without any major changes.

I know for now that this new rig will run IL-2 much better that my old rig. Since the rig doesn't come with an OS, i plan to install Windows Vista on it.

One more question before i go.

Should i upgrade the mobo now on the new PC or wait until later?

I need to know because the mobo is has currently doesn't have quad core support on SLI pci-e slots.

mbfRoy
05-24-2007, 12:08 AM
If you don't need it RIGHT NOW, I'd suggest waiting until June or so. Appearently Intel is about to launch a new batch of processors (45 nanometer manufacturing tech.) that will most likely drop the prices on the current dual core, 65nm processors.

That's good news for anyone looking to buy a new computer that's expected to last a few years, since these new chips will also fit in the current Core2Duo socket (775).

The differences seem to be that it'll be using DDR3 RAM instead of DDR2, and will make use of PCI-Extreme 2.0 slots, which I hope it'll be backwards compatible with the current PCI-Extreme slot, meaning that you should be able to fit a "normal" PCI-Extreme video card in it.

So in theory!, you could get a brand new motherboard for these new chips, throw in 2 Gbs of DDR3 RAM, a cheap Core2Duo processor and one of those nVidia's series 8000 video cards. That should be enough to run any sim with the highest settings IMO.

If I got it right you'd have no problems with such setup, and you'd still have plenty of room to upgrade the processor AND the video card, going from a Core2Duo working at 1066Mhz Front Side Bus to a Cuad core running at 1333+Mhz (depending on the $ you spent on your DDR3 RAM it would be able to up to 2133mhz w/o overclocking), which in short means more or less like doubling the processor performance. Something similar would apply to the video card performance, moving from a PCI-E card to a PCI-E 2.0 should indeed give a boost in performance, regardless of what 2.0 offers over the current slot, which by the way, I have no clue as of yet .

Estimated cost (please don't take it as exact values)
<LI>Cheap, 65nm Intel core2duo 6700 ~ $150-200?**
<LI>New, DDR3 motherboard ~ $150? **
<LI>2Gbs DDR3 RAM ~ $200? **
<LI>Case, keyboard, mouse, etc ~ $150? **
<LI>nVidia series 8 videocard ~ 200? **

** prices pulled out of my a** basically

So, it would be around $800-900, IMHO.
Plenty of room to upgrade processor, video card and add more RAM if needed.

Even if you are not into the upgrading/build-it-on-your-own thing, I wouldn't buy that computer you listed. The RAM is the slowest available and the motherboard only takes up to "DDR2 667" sticks, which aren't even the fastest ones available. The video card is also lacking (a lot!), and as you pointed out, the mboard doesn't offer SLI. If you are going to get it anyway then you may aswell upgrade the motherboard now, but that is hardly a minor change, and honestly I think it's overpriced.

stansdds
05-24-2007, 04:20 AM
Random shut downs and reboots are often the sign of a failing power supply unit. PSU's are cheap, but don't buy a cheap one as they usually don't last very long. You might want to invest in a better PSU now. If it is a failing PSU, you've solved the problem and can use the new PSU in a new system. If it's not a failing PSU, you can still use the new PSU in a new system.

I've been considering building a new computer, switching from AMD to Intel for the processor. I'm glad I have waited because the P35 chipset looks very, very promising as does DDR3 RAM and the new E series CPU's Intel is about to release. I'd say my target date for a new machine will be Q3 if not Q4 of this year.

FE_pilot
05-24-2007, 04:24 AM
I just purchased a new 4000watt psu not even 3 weeks ago. It cost me $80 dollars.

How could it be failing already?

ploughman
05-24-2007, 04:53 AM
My understanding of components is that they either fail early in their lives which means in the first 6 weeks or so, or they last for pretty much their expected duration. Sounds like you might have a duff PSU. Is it still under warranty?

The PSU in my machine's 7 years old.

Yellonet
05-24-2007, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by FE_pilot:
I just purchased a new 4000watt psu not even 3 weeks ago. It cost me $80 dollars.

How could it be failing already? It doesn't have to be the PSU, anyway $80 won't buy you a top model...

mbfRoy
05-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Yes it could also be caused by brief power shortages, or maybe even the computer overheating, although it doesn't sound like that.

You can most probably check both the temperature and the voltage levels in your BIOS anyway, if it's reading around 75ÂșC in the CPU temp then it's either at the limit or it will directly overheat when stressed.

EiZ0N
05-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but check your CPU fan.

My pc is set to shutdown when the CPU gets too hot, or the CPU fan fails.

Randomly, my CPU fan just stops spinning (its PoS) and my PC shuts down.