PDA

View Full Version : *My* MP matchmaking probs (mostly) solved

Lethalla
01-16-2011, 05:08 AM
On Friday I bought a new modem... getting into sessions on my old one took forever, but I'm happy to say now I hardly wait at all, 2-3mins tops, if that. Okay, quite often I get dropped into sessions already in progress, but I've always got the option of quitting now without fear of waiting another eternity for a different session.
Not everyone can afford to upgrade of course, but for me it was well worth it.
Now, if Ubi can just fix the matchmaking prob with other regions like NA, and the player levels and my disappearing HUDs...

StarScream391
01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Hehe, I use wired connection and never encountered this problems since the first day I played, wireless connection sucks.

Lethalla
01-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I've never used wireless, not even now, b/c I spent money last year wiring up the ports I had installed when we built the house. I think it's safer anyway.
Plus it helps having a modem that's specifically for MP gaming.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

obliviondoll
01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I have a pretty good (not great) wireless modem, and it's about 2m from my PS3, but the cord would need to be at least 10m to get around the walls and furniture between the PS3 and the only place in the house we can plug it in.

So I have wireless, but it's so close that it's actually stable and reliable. Wireless signal is still faster than the broadband connection, so as long as you're getting a solid connection, it's often ok - not always, but more often than not, at least.

And no, I'm not going to say it's ideal, but with a bit of luck in positioning and setup, wireless doesn't mean you're totally screwed.

Lethalla
01-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Lol, call it technofear... plus someone told me last week wired is always better than wireless.

*shrug*

obliviondoll
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Lethalla:
Lol, call it technofear... plus someone told me last week wired is always better than wireless.

*shrug*
The person who told you that was correct.

I'm not saying it's as good as wired, just that it can be good enough for gaming, if you've got a little luck and the right layout in your house.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lethalla:

*shrug*
The person who told you that was correct.

I'm not saying it's as good as wired, just that it can be good enough for gaming, if you've got a little luck and the right layout in your house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wireless technology is improving, so its becoming less of an issue. End of the day, as dolly says, Your PS3 needs to be physically close, and you need a good enough wireless router to give a strong signal. It just is the case that sometimes, wired isn't an option. Personally, I've played wireless in every online game I've played going all the way back to ps2 FF11 using an external adaptor due to how our house is laid out (built before the intarwebz were super crucial). Wireless can be just fine, though some games have inherent issues (MAG at release would screw up on respawn, FF14 gets very confused during zoning or if someone else joins the network, etc). Personally haven't seen any of those in AC:B, only issue for me was sorting out NAT type on my airport.