PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sick individual....

AdEridanus
04-10-2005, 09:20 AM
...would place the torpedo fire key next to the rudder keys, which are already next to the snorkel depth key, then put the surface key next to the dive key? What is this world coming to?

Actually, although my itchy fingers sent U-46 to her untimely end, it really didn't bother me (although now that I've seen the death screen...)

I had just intercepted my first large convoy, late 1940. I dodge the lone destroyer on port and slip right between the ranks of ships, a mere ghost in the heavy seas. Using some quick calculations and every tube I have, I unload into a T3, C3 and C2. All but one hits, and I'm starting to like convoy attacks! The destroyer wheels around, spots me and locks a spotlight onto me (cool!). Down I go to 20M, not before gettig clipped in the melee, following directly under the convoy. The destroyer attempts to run me down, but gets smashed between the T3 and C3 that had since panicked and turned into each other! Pretty much the ship version of the Malachi Crunch. I order PD, and we shadow the convoy, occasionally sinking a C2 or two for variety's sake. The sea will not relent, however, so no gunnery today.

With every torpdeo expended, and myslef with no desire to shadow the convoy straight into the jaws of the Irish sea, I break off and head back to Brest. On the way home, I order the boat to the surface (128x), accidentally brush the D key. Mix my 85% hull integrity with the sudden increase in depth, or maybe I hit the bottom, who knows? It was over in a 128x blink of the eye. My option is to abandon career. It was you who abandoned me, oh cruel god of keyboard mapping! How can I appease you? Tell me who to smite, and they shall be smoten!

The funny part is that I'm not too annoyed. Sure, I could redo the patrol, but after looking over my near 200000 tons of shipping in 11 patrols, I'm set on starting a new career at 100%. The only thing I had unchecked was auto updated maps, but that is quite a boon considering its accuracy. 100% should be much more fun, and now that I'm used to the game...

I guess I'll also be remapping my keys. I remapped the fire key after my first patrol, but I never thought about the depth keys. It's CTRL+ for any key that may acccidentally kill me. Has anyone remapped their entir keyboard, or have any suggestions about mapping?

con20or
04-10-2005, 09:29 AM
smoten. hilarious http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif.

i did the same accidentally yesterday but survived. just randomly bounced my way down the channel floor for the sheer heck of it!!!

how do u remap keys?

MertenKauhu
04-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I sometimes pull the numpad enter off so I won't press it on accident when trying to compress time.

con20or
04-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Fair play, thats hardcore!!!

Have you murdered your neighbours, friends and family so they wont make noise and give your position away?

AdEridanus
04-10-2005, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by con20or:
Fair play, thats hardcore!!!

Have you murdered your neighbours, friends and family so they wont make noise and give your position away? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOAH WOAH! If by fair play you mean no time compression, than no sir, I am still a pansy first class. I'm going 100% on the realism factors, but I'm still in bed with the TC. I'm a photographer, and don't have the time or resources to play 1x... unless all you guys want to pitch in and give me an inflation adjusted captain's salary!

Frederf220
04-10-2005, 11:06 AM
I usually don't have too much problem, but yeah, a key setter would be rather nice to have, and not have to do it via editing commands.cfg

As for torpedo firing, set gyroangle to 180 and it's s "safety." The game refuses to fire (as in accidentally fire or on purpose) any torpedo with a 180 gyroangle.

I wanna know what sick SOB made the MP chat key NUMLOCK? NUMLOCK!!!!!! I have a wireless keyboard so pressing numlock flashes "Numlock on" and "Numlock off" on my screen reducing fps for a sec. It's just not good keyboard layout design.