PDA

View Full Version : surprisingly different question

jayhall0315
12-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey IL2 fans - I have decided to go with LOMAC as my first jet combat sim but what is the latest version out ? Do I buy the Gold Edition or do I need to get Flaming Cliffs separate ? I would have gone with Falcon but not sure I have the patience yet for 15 min startup times, LOL

Are there alot of patches I need to download as well ?

(Yes I know I should ask this in the LOMAC forums, but IL2 guys generally know more, hehe)

Jay

X32Wright
12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Most people online flying LOMAC are using the Flaming Cliffs version and nobody flies with the oroginal LOMAC patched version anymore so get the Flaming Cliffs version.

Fireball_
12-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I believe that Flaming Cliffs is an add-on that requires you to also have the original Lock-On.

Lock-On Gold contains both the original Lock-On and Flaming Cliffs as one pacakge.

And yes there is a patch or two, but I don't know for sure what they are, maybe 1.12 and 1.12a...something like that.

WTE_Ibis
12-14-2008, 01:58 AM
You do not need to use the full startup in Falcon4, it's optional.

gorkyporky
12-15-2008, 12:25 PM
For online flying you need Lomac+flaming clifs, patched up to version 1.12a or 1.12b, depends on what OS you are running. And do ask on the LOMAC forums, they know this stuff much more than IL guys.

Stingray333
12-16-2008, 07:59 PM
yo,

I've been playing a lot of LOMAC lately, it is awesome! Those who look down their noses at modern combat sims as simply lock and fire should step onto the 169th Panthers hyperlobby server and see how well that strategy does them!

Yes, I think you can get either the LOMAC Gold CD, or if you have the original version you can buy the Flaming Cliffs add-on (abbreviated as FC, also called LOMAC 1.1b, confusing, yes?) as a paid digital download from http://www.lockon.co.uk/ also, you will need to patch to 1.12b and then download the manual and start reading.

I'd recommend picking a single plane at the start and get comfortable in it, the A-10 or the F-15 are good choices to start with. Although the number of controls in the game seems daunting at first, it is actually quite simple, and I think that Il2 is actually more challenging in this regard. (IL2 is quite subtle... exactly how/when to adjust the prop/pitch, radiator, mixture, flaps during combat), whereas in LOMAC you just have the throttle and the amount of fuel you have left to worry about, but rather it is the radar/ecm/weapons that take most of your time as a pilot in LOMC. You can do a spool up on both engines with a single keyboard command (left windows key + home), close the canopy (cntrl+c) and start flying. If you have a HOTAS controller it is a good idea to get the keyboard commands to control the radar mapped right away.

There is a lot of great resources out there for LOMAC, but the online community right now isn't as large as the IL2 community unfortunately. The best sites are http://www.lockonfiles.com/ http://forums.eagle.ru/ and probably the most important site to go to is http://www.flankertraining.com/ which has great training videos

The learning curve for LOMAC is similar to IL-2 (i.e. pretty steep at the beginning and easy to get overwhelmed/discouraged), infact, I would say that LOMAC is a little worse in this regard as you will be simply flying and suddenly be a fireball, without having a clue what got you (or having even spotted your enemy), where as in IL-2 you often at least lay eyes on the plane that gets you (even briefly) and then at least get the opportunity to turn-fight for your life, if only for a few moments.

Anyhoo, if you have questions or want to get together on hyperlobby to get ourselves blown out of the sky by an enemy that you can't even see drop me a PM or an email at RCAF.Stingray@gmail.com, good luck and have fun.

Stingray

I_KG100_Prien
12-16-2008, 08:19 PM
The 169th server is worth going in to if you pick up LOMAC.

LOMAC is pretty fun online overall and the learning curve is absolutely steep. You really need to learn how to use the radar systems, RWS, and of course the performance envelope of your stand off weapons.

I can't count how many times I got shot down before I scored my first kill... It was many, many times. A lot of the time using terrain masking isn't safe.. You may not know that you just flew in range of a MANPAD and kaboom, down you go.

BVR engagements aren't always about "click and shoot" as some believe them to be.

Treetop64
12-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Absolutely agree. Air combat in LOMAC is more about situational awareness and systems management than anything else.

Stingray333
12-16-2008, 10:59 PM
In my search for which jet flight sim to get into, I looked into Falcon 4.0. I have never played it before, but it seems to have a rather strong following of simmers that really like it, so I still might try it one of these days. My impression from reading up about it is that it is sort of the "Dungeons & Dragons" of combat flight sims. However, the graphics didn't seem to be as good as LOMAC, and LOMAC seemed to have a stronger online community so I decided to give LOMAC a go, very glad I did. I still play both IL2 and LOMAC when I get the chance,

Stingray