PDA

View Full Version : Flight Testing

KillerCharlie
03-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Is it possible for the game to somehow output things like control surface movements, airspeeds, etc., as a function of time? I'm thinking about trying to do some flight testing and this would be really cool.

Thanks

KillerCharlie
03-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing that means no?

Jezzadog
03-27-2005, 05:16 PM
If the answer really is "no", I guess you could do some limited stuff just using a stopwatch and flight instruments for performance work and measuring stick deflection verses observed response for stab/control work. Eyeball for handling assessment. A bit like what it was like in those days.

At least you can freeze the action using the "pause" function. Handy for stall speeds, spin attitudes etc.

BTW let me know if you can get any of these aircraft into an inverted spin!

KillerCharlie
03-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Man, if I could only get some drag polars...

TX-EcoDragon
03-27-2005, 06:19 PM
I bet that the devicelink sofware can output data over time to a logfile. . .talk to BBB_Hyperion and probably others who use that software.

TX-EcoDragon
03-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh and you can get many of these aircraft into inverted spins(well, pretty much all the fighters other than the early war ones).

Given the rather poor forward elevator authority in this sim I use and accelerated entry. Use an accelerated stall or outside snap roll at ~200-300 kmh entry speed, the sim likes in-spin aileron to snap well, so for example kick full right rudder and give full left aileron when inverted, along with full forward stick, and then simply hold those inputs. . . use max power throughout until a bit before recovery inputs are made. (oppsite on all surfaces, and Power to idle)

As in real life, the inverted recovery is faster and easier (greater "wetted" area of the rudder and vert stab).

Jezzadog
03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Sorry KillerCharlie I forgot the obvious - record the track and you will have a timebase during replay. Also lets you sit back and analyse what's going on.

Thanks for the tips on inverted spins Ecodragon. Have tried similar entries in the past but without success. Will try out your technique.

diomedes33
03-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Is something like this (http://avcsite.ru/il2dl/graph_en.htm) what you were looking for?

Badsight.
03-28-2005, 01:27 AM
heres one that got prepared earlier :

http://img194.exs.cx/img194/3474/funwithdevicelink8vz.jpg

apparently even bomb drop vectors would able to be plotted in real time

BBB_Hyperion
03-28-2005, 01:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KillerCharlie:
Is it possible for the game to somehow output things like control surface movements, airspeeds, etc., as a function of time? I'm thinking about trying to do some flight testing and this would be really cool.

Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a list from devicelink what you can get. For real detailed analyses however its hardly enough. Lots of basic datas missing. Thats at first control surfaces positions, stick force , outside temp , etc etc even the most Basic x,y,z coords you need to build together from pitch roll and yaw .DM Datas not to speak of except fuel maybe. So testing with devicelink is very limited to basic datas.

You cant analyse recorded tracks regarding g load or temp cause g isnt stored in it and temperature is only updated every 4 s or something. So not really a good tool to analyse detailed flight performance. The intention for this interface was obviously the use of external controller devices and gauges nothing more nothing less.

What is possible is climb tests, speed tests , temp tests .

Testmap is default crimea where tests should be done.

Hoever mostly human errors in flight handling or climb speed measure leaves a white gap for speculations. Things like mixed inital climb from speed and climb at sea level for example.

Thats why i would prefer a complete codeable ai controller that can do things like hold best climbspeed, hold alt, hold bank, hold roll etc

(that ai controller is possible now but we can only set 1 control command a time so when you insert roll pitch yaw throttle etc commands the flight attitude has already changed for the ammount of inputs send. This means for example the calculated input at higher speeds can get very unprecise cause
you lag 5 or 6 commands behind the actual flight inputs were generated from)

An integrated ai control would allow much more detailed and similar testing conditions avoiding human errors in data gain process and dont leave a discussion open to too much interpretation.

speedometer_indicated
30 get()
return: float [km/h] +0.00 +inf

variometer
32 get()
return: float [m/s] -inf +inf

slip
34 get()
return: float [deg.] -45.00 +45.00

turn
36 get()
return: float [undefined] -1.00 +1.00
turn indicator

angular_speed
38 get()
return: float [deg./s] -inf +inf

altimeter
40 get()
return: float [m] +0.00 +inf

azimuth
42 get()
return: float [deg.] +0.00 +359.(9)

beacon_azimuth
44 get()
return: float [deg.] +0.00 +359.(9)

roll
46 get()
return: float [deg.] -180.00 +180.00

pitch
48 get()
return: float [deg.] -90.00 +90.00

fuel
50 get()
return: float [kg.] +0.00 +inf

overload
52 get()
return: float [undefined] -inf +inf

shake_level
54 get()
return: float [undefined] +0.00 +1.00

gear_pos_l
56 get()
left gear "leg" position

gear_pos_r
58 get()
right gear "leg" position

gear_pos_c
60 get()
central gear position

magneto
62 get(int - engine idx)
return: int [undefined] +0 +3

rpm
64 get(int - engine idx)
return: float [rpm] +0.00 +inf

manifold
66 get(int - engine idx)
return: float [bar] +0.00 +inf

temp_oilin
68 get(int - engine idx)
return: float [deg.C] -273.00 +inf

temp_oilout
70 get(int - engine idx)

temp_water
72 get(int - engine idx)

temp_cylinders
74 get(int - engine idx)

KiIIerCharlie
10-12-2005, 08:57 AM
It's been a while since I posted this, but does anyone know if it is possible to get engine performance characteristics to output? If I'm able to get data like horsepower then I might be able to do full flight testing on all IL-2 models.

effte
10-12-2005, 03:21 PM
You can get a LOT from Devicelink. It won't output all of it, but what it does output allows you to calculate enough to give you a good performance handbook.

I played with it for a bit before ending up with too much else on my hands. Perhaps during winter...

You can get the specific excess power, Ps. Combine this with TAS and correct for acceleration and you have the (effective) horsepower output.

KiIIerCharlie
10-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by effte:
You can get the specific excess power, Ps. Combine this with TAS and correct for acceleration and you have the (effective) horsepower output.

Interesting... I'll have to look into when I have time (probably not until summer, lol).

I already know how I'm going to determine aircraft weights and CL vs. alpha curves by adding weight increments (bombs).

I'll have to look into using the specific excess power to find out the available power. It's going to be a mess trying to sort out the whole prop pitch thing but I think it's doable.