PDA

View Full Version : Easy flight settings

walsh2509
11-08-2004, 07:12 PM
I did a quick mission oin a F6F-5 and in shooting down the very large japanese seaplane I got a few hits that took my engine out.

As I bailed out my left wing was slightly tipped down and my ship flew on coming down in one large slow spiral, until the wing tip hit the sea first and the rest followed until it slid to a halt with only the wings under the water..

Did this only happen because I was in easy setting?

Once I bailed out should the plane not went into a dive ( or does that happen in harder setting ) or would that plane once the pilot had bailed out, would that plane glide down like the way I said it did?

Tocca4
11-08-2004, 07:31 PM
What happens to a plane after abandoning it depends...
A well trimmed plane could virtually land itself, be it a rough landing. There's no reason for a plane to start diving just becuase you leave it.
But normally you eject because there's something really wrong with it, and it won't be able to fly properly.
With just the engine gone, i'd say it would glide down rather gracefully more often than not.

Fliger747
11-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Typically what will 'get' a real plane without an occupant is a bit of lateral instability, which will cause a slow roll, diverting lift and causing development of an increasing noise down spiral. I knew a guy that had a Cessna 185 takeoff (without him) on skis when he was trying to prop it, flew around the lake a couple of times before begining a sickening, screaming death dive.

'Booooof'.

effte
11-09-2004, 01:59 AM
walsh,
be kind to yourself and stop worrying by dropping the easy settings. You are making things harder for yourself!

Yes, flying without them is hard at first but you will not learn all the bad habits which you are currently getting deeply ingrained, and which you will probably have a hard time unlearning.

The reward is worth the effort!

HARD_Sarge
11-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Interesting story based on this idea

the Early WWI French Ace (Roland Garros ? spelling) was a "test pilot" stunt pilot before the war, he was contracted to test out a Parachute, so he took up one of his old planes, flew to a open field, leveled it off and then jumped out, while floating to earth, he seen his plane start to roll over, invert and then keep on flying

he was so shocked at what he had seen, that when he landed and his friends rushed out to help him, he took off running, jumped into his waiting car and raced back to the airfield, where he climb into aother one of his planes, and spent most of the rest of the day, flying his plane upside down

up until that time, nobody knew a plane could fly on it's back

HARD_Sarge