PDA

View Full Version : HUD

MIA Philly
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
is it just me or does the HUD just seem way to over crowded and distracting?

XyZspineZyX
05-20-2005, 12:03 PM
I did get that feeling when i first viewed the screen shots, but then it might be the hud is only in view when ur actively using one of the features, i.e cross com etc. If its only there when in use then im not worried.

TAW_Biggy
05-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Good point ms.

Wonder is u can turn some on or off...

jchung
05-20-2005, 12:26 PM
In OGR you could turn of the HUD, so I would imagine that you could do that here too. They may also clean up the view without having to eliminate any of the info that is being placed on the HUD. It is still in development right?http://img261.echo.cx/img261/7804/coke5nj.jpg

XyZspineZyX
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by jchung:
It is still in development right?http://img261.echo.cx/img261/7804/coke5nj.jpg
Yeh its listed as a working title, so anythings possible

TAW_Biggy
05-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Maybe so,

but I remember when GR2 was also a working title and we had these discussions before... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Brainlicker
05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to implement a way to turn all or some of the HUD off...I for one (just from what I've seen) find it disrtacting. In all the other FPS I play out there, I turn as much of the HUD or screen info off.

pepsifreak
05-20-2005, 03:29 PM
The HUD looked pretty crowded in the screenshots.

Oetzi_101
06-01-2005, 03:24 PM
but a real future forces hud probably looks like that too.

Kurtz_
06-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I just thought of this, if you have access to satelite imagery and you have recon UAVs, are you not going to know exactly where the enemy are at every point on the map? Are you going to be able to track them on your HUD map? That would nullify the need for reconnaisance by eyeball.

Then the question is what can you turn off.

What about fire indicators? They were in OGR and GR 2.

XyZspineZyX
06-02-2005, 01:14 AM
I dont know about you Kurtz, but even in old GR and GRIT when they were on map didnt always mean you could see them, so i would imagine regardless of knowing the area they are covering via sat you would still need to actually use your eyes in the same way.
But yes i would imagine this is something thats all optional again as it was with the TI and radar now.

Agent Green
06-02-2005, 01:53 AM
Given a choice between aerial video and a motion tracker, I'd take the former without a doubt. You normally can't see how many people are in a vehicle, building, etc. from above. Tanks or encampments may be camouflaged on top as well. That's why SF are sent in to take a look around even with the technology available.

Even so, I don't think I want to see it all the time like quite a few others.

spm1138
06-02-2005, 12:56 PM
That display at the left showing alternate angles and all the "talking heads" seemed a little pointless.

jchung
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Most of this "stuff" will never make it into service anyway, so I don't see why they need to add it into the game. The option to shut it all off would be nice.

buddhiraja
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jchung:
Most of this "stuff" will never make it into service anyway, so I don't see why they need to add it into the game. The option to shut it all off would be nice.
My thoughts exactly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Kurtz_
06-04-2005, 07:22 AM
In GR, the command map showed enemy in line of sight. You could bring it up any time you wanted. If the intel in GR 3 is "fed" to you as you approach situations where you need it, that is evidence of heavy scripting, which requires that you be in a certain position to trigger the script. This is the type of linear development they need to stay away from. It would be preferable to be able to control the use of things like sat pics and UAVs in order to from a picture of the enemy strength, even to the point where you have a limited number of uses.

To make the game less linear, you need to be able to control more of the environment and less to be controlled by it.

X13lazeX
06-04-2005, 12:26 PM
I belive the hud will not be crowded...well for big screen users because new xbox...has restrciton for publishers to use a bigger setting creating a bigger picture..so i think this hud issuse should not be a problem. This is my 2 cents http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and my first post so hello all at ghost recon

13laze

jenkles
06-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by X13lazeX:
I belive the hud will not be crowded...well for big screen users because new xbox...has restrciton for publishers to use a bigger setting creating a bigger picture..so i think this hud issuse should not be a problem. This is my 2 cents http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and my first post so hello all at ghost recon

13laze

What???

X13lazeX
06-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by jenkles:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X13lazeX:

13laze

What??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to clairfy what i said in technicle terms here you go

all Xbox 360 titles at 720p and 1080i resolution in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing for smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound. so i belive there will be no worrie of not being able to see!

Oetzi_101
06-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Kurtz_:
In GR, the command map showed enemy in line of sight. You could bring it up any time you wanted. If the intel in GR 3 is "fed" to you as you approach situations where you need it, that is evidence of heavy scripting, which requires that you be in a certain position to trigger the script. This is the type of linear development they need to stay away from. It would be preferable to be able to control the use of things like sat pics and UAVs in order to from a picture of the enemy strength, even to the point where you have a limited number of uses.

To make the game less linear, you need to be able to control more of the environment and less to be controlled by it.

it looks like youll be able to select the uav as part of your cross com. so youd be able to bring it up whenever you like.

Kurtz_
06-05-2005, 09:42 AM
That's what I like. Scripted events mean linear movement because you have to trigger the script. They're fine if kept to a mininum. I prefer events you can control when you think you need them, like using a UAV to recon, to call in an airstrike or artillery attack, to call for extraction. I always thought it would be nice, at least for a mission or two, to have a tank that you could control, instead of just having it follow a preset path. That was one feature that I liked in BIA. I hope they don't include any "rail" missions where you either ride on or have to protect vehicles.

X13lazeX
06-05-2005, 11:40 AM
This is an interview at 1up.com but this is what it said bout being liner. sounds like the maps will be pretty **** big

1UP: The environment in the video seems wide-open. What kind of challenges do you face determining whether to make things on a larger scale that way?

RE: The biggest problem is making sure the player doesn't get lost. So we're trying to add new objective indicators as well as a new tactical map that'll help make sure the player goes where he needs to go. The worst thing you want to do when you have a huge, open environment is have the player walk for an hour and a half in one direction and never see a bad guy to shoot. It's not a fun experience. So we've got to try and guide the player's progress through the level, without restricting them. We want to give you more options. The first one had all the options in the world, and the second was a little bit more limited, but we're trying to put more of those options there so you can choose how to attack your objectives and how you want to move through the space. But again, we don't want you to put an hour and a half into looking for someone to shoot. The challenge is to make sure the player knows what he's supposed to do and where he has to go, and then let him decide how to get there.\

13laze

Kurtz_
06-06-2005, 08:30 AM
I like the idea of maps that big, and open. I don't know why they think we are brain dead and cannot find our way around a map. GR had it right, just show the objectives on a tac map and let the player decide what he wants to do first.

Brainlicker
06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
It's because they are now designing games for the 6 to 12 year old run and gun types. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif