PDA

View Full Version : 64Bit question

Fliegeroffizier
11-30-2004, 12:20 PM
In my new Rig(currently in planning stage), I will have the AMD64FX55 cpu.

I am thinking of downloading the FREE Windows XP Professional x64 Edition as my Operating System. (It's the "Customer Preview Program" version from Micro$oft...Sort of a Public Beta, I assume)

Question 1: What improved performance might I expect from lashing the AMD64 cpu with the new 64Bit OS ????

Question 2: Other than generic/possible Bugs in a Beta, what obstacles might I anticipate going this route? Perhaps I Could/Should install Windows XP on one partition of my HD and the new XP64 on a second partition....is this feasible to do, so that I can choose to swap back and forth as may be necessary?

Thanks for any advice.

NetDaemon
11-30-2004, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I am thinking of downloading the FREE Windows XP Professional x64 Edition as my Operating System. (It's the "Customer Preview Program" version from Micro$oft...Sort of a Public Beta, I assume)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

- Indeed, it is called right now WindowsXP x86-64 ServicePack1 build 1299, it`s the second beta and is pretty stable so far, runs both 32 and 64bit applications.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Question 1: What improved performance might I expect from lashing the AMD64 cpu with the new 64Bit OS ????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

- Not much, the operating system itself feels more snappy but you need 64bit applications to take full advantage of a 64bit CPU, which are rare at the moment.

- I installed and ran FB and PF in 64bit Windows, it ran flawlessly, but no difference in Framerate nor in smoothness with regards of PF in 32bit WindowsXP. If Oleg released a 64bit version of PF, then you`d benefit from the AMD64`s larger memory addressing and 64bit registers.

- For now, PF in WindowsXP 64bit run in 32bit legacy mode, so no changes/improvemente there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Question 2: Other than generic/possible Bugs in a Beta, what obstacles might I anticipate going this route? Perhaps I Could/Should install Windows XP on one partition of my HD and the new XP64 on a second partition....is this feasible to do, so that I can choose to swap back and forth as may be necessary?

Thanks for any advice. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

- Yep, that`s exactly what me and most people trying this public beta are doing, setting it up in dual boot partitions along with the regular (32bit) version of XP.

- Why? Well, since it`s a beta, it`s bound to be buggy and unstable, not too much in this beta2 though.

- Also, right now it`s hard to find 64bit drivers for most hardware peripherials, like sound cards, printers, scanners, joysticks, etc. So it's not guaranteed that all your hardware will work with 64bit XP.

- So go ahead, download it and give it a try, but don`t expect to use it as your sole/main working environment.

- As an example, I said above that I got PF running flawlessly in 64bit XP, but the OS won`t recognize my joystick, so I can`t play it at all. Though I could connect to Hyperlobby.

Good luck in your venture. Also remember that there are other 64bit Operating Systems out there that are final versions and pretty adecuate for everyday workind and web surfing, like Linux Fedora Core3 for AMD64 and Mandrake 10.1 Community for AMD64, I use the second for daily tasks.

NetDaemon
11-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Also, visit this site regularly www.planetamd64.com (http://www.planetamd64.com) for great community support in their forums, driver updates and general news and happenings in the AMD64 arena.

Marek_Steele
11-30-2004, 01:17 PM
1 - On some 32bit applications as games you might find a performance decrease mostly due to drivers, after the OS matures this should go away

2 - Most users that run xp64 use a dual boot system wich should be very easy to setup. Due to the lack of stable drivers for many stuff (I don't even know if an official 3com 940 finally came out!) and some performance problems with 32bit software, mostly with games that run a tad slower, this might be the best choice.

The190Flyer
12-01-2004, 10:28 AM
First off the FX-55 flat out kicks @ss!!! It's the best CPU out right now. WinXP64 should run your programs much more smoothly, than old 32-bit OS. Wouldn't be a bad idea to include regular WInXP, you can always take XP64 off your HDD and load WinXP if something goes wrong.

S! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

a.k.a. BIFF P-51 PILOT in ubi.com lobbies