PDA

View Full Version : No sale - yet

Silvensis
03-29-2010, 04:18 AM
I have bought, and played, and loved, Silent Hunters I-IV. The publishers have made money from me on those titles, because they produced excellent games in a genre I want to support.

Personally, I was disappointed that SHV went back to the Atlantic U-boat setting. SHIII already has that covered, and I'd have preferred to see the SH series come up to date with a modern or Cold War setting. Even so, I fully intended to buy Silent Hunter V, because aside from Silent Hunter, and the significantly less pretty Dangerous Waters, submarine (and navy sims in general) are a rare breed, and I want to help encourage more of them.

However, because Ubisoft have chosen to treat me pre-emptively as a criminal, and only because of that, I will not purchase SHV. I will not be subjected to high-handed and arrogant demands to prove my honesty, and be expected to pay for the privilege.

On the other hand, neither will I now go find the game on a free torrent because I am honest, and because I pay for my games - a possibly that Ubi's blanket bad attitude point-blank fails to consider. I'd go so far as to suggest that most gamers are in fact honest. We recognise the hard work that developers put into their titles - and I for one wonder how heartbreaking it must be for those developers to see their efforts crippled and sunk by idiotic marketing decisions by publishers.

I want to reward the developers, but I can't, and won't, while I'm subjected to ridiculously over-the-top 'rights management' systems like this. Some argue that it's not a problem because like most gamers I probably spend most of my time online anyway. That may be true, but it's none of Ubi's business. If I buy a single-player game I expect to be able to play it under single-player conditions: by which I mean having no dependency on my Internet connection or remote servers to be functional whenever I wish to play.

I'm sure there's nothing here that hasn't been said already. I'm sure one voice will make little difference to Ubi's lawyers and bean-counters. And before you all hurry to let me know that there's nothing special about my voice, I assure you I know it. But I'm aware I'm not the only one who feels this way - and after all, complaints on game forums are commonly dismissed with "if you don't like it, don't buy the game". So I've not bought the game, and now I'm just explaining why.

So this for Ubisoft on Silent Hunter V: I've read reviews that're less than enamoured with SHV. It doesn't sound as though it's the best of the series; though it seems it does try some new things. And as I said, I want to support companies producing navy sims (hell, in the current console-focused environment I'd support ANY proper sim). Speaking personally, I will buy SHV - with real, honest-to-gods, genuine money - the moment you remove that ridiculous DRM. But not until.

Ramitaylor
03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm hoping they'll ditch the DRM eventually. I really would like to buy this game but refuse to do so for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe by the time UBI gives up on DRM, they'll have release a few more patches.

It was disappointing seeing two games I had been anticipating, SHV and Assassin's Creed 2, both crippled by limitations on the user's access to the game he has paid to play.

Rusty_S85
03-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I agree, I will not obtain this game till it has done away with the DRM and there are atleast some mods avaiable to make it more sim like than game like. Only then will I obtain this and display it next to my SHII, SHIII, and SHIV games. Until then I will stick with the three I have now.

NaKacu
03-31-2010, 03:57 PM
One day it will cost too much to support DRM infrastructure for an obsolete game like SHV and the game will end up on DVD. That's when I wil make my move and pay my money to own it. Ironically it's when the game will be at its best - patched and nicely modded.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Sorry UBI, I got burned with SHIII and SHIV. Not about to make the same mistake!

Rusty_S85
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Thats if they do that, they might just drop SHV like a hot potato and not even remove the drm. But I did hear that there was a crack to remove the DRM back on the day of release. So even if UBI does that you can still do it. I even got a starforce crack to remove starforce off my SHIII since I wont pay for a new copy of SHIII without starforce. I should be given it free since I bought the game already once.