PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions???

AStotzer
11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
I currently have 3 questions I am wondering about.

First, I few a mission last night where I had to take off on one of those dirt runways. I bounced all over the place and ended up just rolling the plane over forward each time. I finally was able to take off sucessfully after about 10 tries. At one point, I decided to just watch the AI planes take off and see if they did anything special with their trim, flaps, or whatever. But I didn't see anything.

My question is, what is the trick to taking off on those dirt runways without rolling over??

My second and third question are about engine control. Many times I have my throttle pulled back to 0, but some planes in my flight take off in front of me, and all of the sudden my plane throttles up all by itself. I have to quickly hit the brakes, and push, then pull the throttle back to bring it back to 0. What is up with it throttling up all by itself??? Is this a bug?

And my last question is about the opposite of that. Sometimes while flying, my plane just throttles back to about 30% all by itself. I have a feeling it is because it is getting overheated or something. It usually happens when I have full throttle and prop pitch at 100%. Is this normal?? Did those planes have some control to shut down the throttle if they got too hot??

Cage50
11-18-2004, 11:38 AM
1.) Probably not the right way, but the way I do it...
throttle up slowly. use small rudder control to stay lined up straight on the runnway. pitch the nose down to bring up the tailwheel off the ground, giving less nose down as speed increases. use small aileron control to keep both wheels on deck.

2.) hold the brakes during startup procedure with throttles at 10%. Once engine is started, throttle back down to O% and then you can release the brakes.

3.) Im not sure on this one, i've not experienced a throttle back, only an engine overheating and losing power.

FoolTrottel
11-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Taking off on dirt runways? I've got the same problem.. can't help you here, just be carefull and gentle? Like Cage50 says...

Throttle: I've never seen this happen, sudden increase nor decrease....
Could it be your joystick is giving trouble?
Check it's calibration!

dragonhart38
11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cage50:
throttle up slowly. use small rudder control to stay lined up straight on the runnway. pitch the nose down to bring up the tailwheel off the ground, giving less nose down as speed increases. use small aileron control to keep both wheels on deck.

I do the above but like to use a good part of the runway. Once my speed is way up and I am tearing down the runway I lift off, haul in my wheels, raise my flaps and climb straight up to get maximum altitude in the shortest possible time.

Da_Godfatha
11-18-2004, 11:57 AM
It really depends on the plane you fly. Some like the Spitfire, if you push to far forward, the prop touchs the ground and it is all over. The early P-40's tend to start swaying from side to side. Just throttle up slowly and push the nose gentle forward.

AStotzer
11-18-2004, 01:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cage50:

2.) hold the brakes during startup procedure with throttles at 10%. Once engine is started, throttle back down to O% and then you can release the brakes.

3.) Im not sure on this one, i've not experienced a throttle back, only an engine overheating and losing power. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) I never would have thought about pitching the nose down, when my problem was flipping over forward, but it sounds like a good tip. I'll also try the small aileron control to keep both wheels even so I don't bounce around so much. Thanks.

2) I'll give this a try too. But it sounds like a bug, if I have to throttle up, then down to keep the sim from throttling up for me.

3) Yes, this seems to happen to me only when I am at full throttle, pitch and maybe mixture too. But I don't always remember seeing the Engine:Overheat message when it happens.

AStotzer
11-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Do any of you trim the aircraft up a little? I normally do this on regular runways, and carriers to get more lift. But here, it sounds like I should not do this because it would push my tailwheel down, probably causing more bouncing?

ColoradoBBQ
11-18-2004, 01:53 PM
2.) The throttle is defaulted to 50% so that player planes in the air won't drop like a stone when the game starts. I advise that before you start the engine, move the throttle up and down then pull back to zero. Also do the same thing for your sliders if you have set anything like prop pitch, brakes or flaps.

3.) Are you using a programmable joystick? Sounds like you have the "30% Power" key mapped to one of your joystick button. Try emptying it by setting "30% power" to another key in use and move the key back to its original function.

AStotzer
11-18-2004, 03:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColoradoBBQ:
2.) The throttle is defaulted to 50% so that player planes in the air won't drop like a stone when the game starts. I advise that before you start the engine, move the throttle up and down then pull back to zero. Also do the same thing for your sliders if you have set anything like prop pitch, brakes or flaps.

3.) Are you using a programmable joystick? Sounds like you have the "30% Power" key mapped to one of your joystick button. Try emptying it by setting "30% power" to another key in use and move the key back to its original function. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2) Thanks for the info. That is news to me, and good to know.

3) I'm using an X45, and I don't have the throttle mapped to anything else except the X45 throttle. I didn't do any special programming to it for the throttle. But it sounds like Cage50 indicates that he does lose power. That is what is happening to me. The message on the screen says 'Power: 30%' when this happens to me. Isn't that the same message you get when you adjust the HOTAS Throttle? I mean, I'm flying with full throttle, pitch, and maybe mixture and the plane just loses power and that message appears on the screen. I then reduce my throttle and/or pitch, and maybe open up the radiators to cool the engine off. I don't remember if the Engine: Overheat message appears all the time.

Thanks for all your replies. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Athosd
11-18-2004, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AStotzer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColoradoBBQ:

3.) Are you using a programmable joystick? Sounds like you have the "30% Power" key mapped to one of your joystick button. Try emptying it by setting "30% power" to another key in use and move the key back to its original function. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2) Thanks for the info. That is news to me, and good to know.

3) I'm using an X45, and I don't have the throttle mapped to anything else except the X45 throttle. I didn't do any special programming to it for the throttle. But it sounds like Cage50 indicates that he does lose power. That is what is happening to me. The message on the screen says 'Power: 30%' when this happens to me. Isn't that the same message you get when you adjust the HOTAS Throttle? I mean, I'm flying with full throttle, pitch, and maybe mixture and the plane just loses power and that message appears on the screen. I then reduce my throttle and/or pitch, and maybe open up the radiators to cool the engine off. I don't remember if the Engine: Overheat message appears all the time.

Thanks for all your replies. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your engine loses power due to overheating or other damage you won't get a power setting message. All you'll get in such instances are audio and visual cues (engine note will change, gauges will show dropping revs, manifold pressure etc).
What you are describing sounds like an unintended control input, as the game is recording it as change to 30% power. This could be due to a glitch in your X45 throttle (eg spiking from that part of the throttle range) or a control conflict such as described by ColoradoBBQ.

Cheers

Athos