PDA

View Full Version : Some tactics suggestions anyone ?

FlopFlop
11-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Hello,

I just got Il2 1946 a few days ago and I'm struggling to get good hits in the game.

I am practicing with the quick mission builder. Starting with Stukas as my first target, thinking that I'm going to have some fun in my spitfire... Big deception ! I'm not an ace, fine, but it seems that no matter how many bullet hit the plane the @%$#* thing is still flying like a charm. Things change when I switch to 20mm guns. But I wonder, Is it me or is engaging bombers with 0.303 guns not a good idea at all?

Also I wonder what I'm supposed to do when the campaign sends me in a raid on a IL-2 with two IL-16 for cover and 6 Bf109 that literally have a blast with us. Best that happened to me so far was to be able to get home and bail out over my field.

I think it's a wonderful game but it's getting a bit on my nerves sometimes

On an other topic, I have a T2300 pentium at 1.66GHz with an NVidia GeForce Go 7400. Is that enough for online gaming ?

Thanks

foxyboy1964
11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
You'd be better off practicing on C-47s. It doesn't matter that they are allied. The point is they are bigger (easier to hit), slower and have no guns. It will take a while to get good at this game.

You might want to change the convergance setting of your guns too. And that is a whole other can of worms as you'll soon find out. I set my convergance at 160m, but each to their own. Convergance is the distance at which all the bullets "meet up" and form one big lump of lead (sort of). If you set convergance to a certain distance then you should also fire from that distance (ideally).

Pluto8742
11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
The .303s are pretty weak compared to almost every other gun in the game. They can still be effective, but you have to hit vital bits of the target like the engines or pilot. Blasting away at the fuselage from dead astern will grind bits off your opponent but rarely does enough damage to bring them down.

Cheers,

P8.

dbillo
11-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Stukas? Go for the wing root...they light up right on cue.

general_kalle
11-02-2007, 04:56 PM
alot of beginners spray bullets all over and claim to hit it so many times,
but the truth is that a quick sweeb across an airplane with maybe 10-20 bullets hitting is not much

once you get better you should begin to take careful aim.
put off a short burst.
aim again
short burst
and so on.

crucislancer
11-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by FlopFlop:
Hello,

I just got Il2 1946 a few days ago and I'm struggling to get good hits in the game.

I am practicing with the quick mission builder. Starting with Stukas as my first target, thinking that I'm going to have some fun in my spitfire... Big deception ! I'm not an ace, fine, but it seems that no matter how many bullet hit the plane the @%$#* thing is still flying like a charm. Things change when I switch to 20mm guns. But I wonder, Is it me or is engaging bombers with 0.303 guns not a good idea at all?

Also I wonder what I'm supposed to do when the campaign sends me in a raid on a IL-2 with two IL-16 for cover and 6 Bf109 that literally have a blast with us. Best that happened to me so far was to be able to get home and bail out over my field.

I think it's a wonderful game but it's getting a bit on my nerves sometimes

On an other topic, I have a T2300 pentium at 1.66GHz with an NVidia GeForce Go 7400. Is that enough for online gaming ?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums and the game.

Yeah, it can be a bit tough to get a kill without knowing some of the ins-and-outs.

If you are flying a plane with machine guns only (Hurricane I, P-47, P-51, etc.) convergence is very important. If it's set to 500m, you want to make sure you hit at that range. But, machine guns become less effective after about 250-300m, so you might want to set it for somewhere in the range.

Like FoxyBoy said, start out with something big, like a C-47. Once you get the hang of it, try against a fighter, but you can set them up to be empty, so they will evade, and you get a taste of what you need to do to get a kill, but not be killed in the process.

About the mission in the IL-2: That's pretty much what it was like at the beginning of the war in Russia. the IL-2 squadrons had little or no cover for quite some time, and loses where high. I recently started a dynamic campaign in an IL-2 right at the beginning of the war, and I haven't had air cover yet. I only made one sucessful ground attack out of 4 missions, but I made it home, or at the very least bailed out over my own lines.

As far as your computer specs and internet play: I would think that's fine. If they game runs well for you offline, it should be ok online, though you may have to tone down the graphics depending on the map used and the amount of planes in the air.

Oh, check out the Nugget's guide to getting off the ground. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645). Very helpful.

JG14_Josf
11-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Record track files and play back your gunnery work in slow motion from many angles. You may be in for a shock.