PDA

View Full Version : Me-262

wormsign2k
06-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Hello,
Something that I've been wondering many times while flying practice runs against b-17's in the quick mission builder is, why is the me-262 so frustratingly slow? The first time I flew the me-262 at 7500m I thought, wow, this is really really slow, flying a piston engine at this altitude must really suck, but then I flew a bf-109 in the same scenario and the acceleration and top speed were always better than something powered by two jet engines; and I won't even mention maneuverability. The Go-226 is even worse, so I'm just wondering if I am missing something or doing something wrong.

-Worm

wormsign2k
06-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Hello,
Something that I've been wondering many times while flying practice runs against b-17's in the quick mission builder is, why is the me-262 so frustratingly slow? The first time I flew the me-262 at 7500m I thought, wow, this is really really slow, flying a piston engine at this altitude must really suck, but then I flew a bf-109 in the same scenario and the acceleration and top speed were always better than something powered by two jet engines; and I won't even mention maneuverability. The Go-226 is even worse, so I'm just wondering if I am missing something or doing something wrong.

-Worm

Haigotron
06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
For the first part of your question: if you're judging the airspeed based on what you see in the cockpuit or the speed bar watchout!Thats the indicated air speed (IAS)

The air is thinner at those heights, so the intake of air into the pitot tube (the isntrument that measures air speed) is less. This causes the IAS airspeed to be muuuch lower than the TAS or True air speed. You can check out the CD2 of the forgotten battles Cds...it has a IAS/TAS conversion chart, but to give you a figure, you should add roughly 100km/h at that height...

I might have gotten your question wrong tho...i hope not...maybe you already know all this

STENKA_69.GIAP
06-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Worm,

Not a problem of indicated or otherwise airspeed. IMHO the flight model at altitude sucks - not surprising as this was designed as a ground attack sim. 262 can not even reach max operational ceiling in a sustained climb.... but if you descend and zoom up in steps it gets there.... something wrong with the physics there?

A jet should gain advantage over prop as altitude increaces but the flight model was built for prop planes at 500m...

When building 262 missions I had to reduce height of bomber streams if not it was a waste of time.

However - try that little rocket powered interceptor - when going for altitude records we reached 52k metres and the world looks very strange from there.

Flakwalker
06-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Along with Manchuria add-on one of them is a western Europe one, maybe there this will be fixed?

ploughman
06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
In QMB the intial airspeed is 300kph and all the 44/45 jets suck at acceleration so you need to get a novel and read a chapter while they wind on up to their top speeds.

Best, with jets, to set yourself up a FMB with the intial speed maxed out if you're looking for an air start.

Happy flappin'.

luftluuver
06-10-2006, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haigotron:
For the first part of your question: if you're judging the airspeed based on what you see in the cockpuit or the speed bar watchout!Thats the indicated air speed (IAS)

The air is thinner at those heights, so the intake of air into the pitot tube (the isntrument that measures air speed) is less. This causes the IAS airspeed to be muuuch lower than the TAS or True air speed. You can check out the CD2 of the forgotten battles Cds...it has a IAS/TAS conversion chart, but to give you a figure, you should add roughly 100km/h at that height...

I might have gotten your question wrong tho...i hope not...maybe you already know all this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I seem to remember reading that the 262's ASI was automatically adjusted for the less dense air at altitude.

Badsight.
06-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Jets in FB have horrible performance over 7K

up really high the 262 flys like a whale , but accellerate's even slower