PDA

View Full Version : LF advice from MS Force Feedback 2 users

vassilisukharev
01-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Hey guys,

I got this stick just yesterday. Everything works nicely out of the box, but I want to tweak the force-feedback effect caused by shooting. Either to reduce its intensity, or completely eliminate it, as it is messing up my aim right now.

I'm using 32-bit XP with only the default windows drivers. Also trying Pinnacle game profiler, which is a nice piece of software, but sadly seems to be incapable of adjusting any ff-related settings.

Any advice? Would installing any additional drivers let me tweak more settings?

tagTaken2
01-13-2009, 06:54 AM
There's an issue with XP with SP2 and the stick software. You can load pre-tweaked profiles, but you can't create new ones.

AFJ_rsm
01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
This is the main issue why people don't like forcefeedback in il2, and it's a VERY simple fix.

You don't even need native driver support under your operative system or profilers, or any sort of hardware related tweaks to do this. As long as forcefeedback works, even if you don't have any settings on your control panel to adjust them, il2's effects for shooting can be adjusted by modifying the files inside the ForceFeedback folder.

I recommend the following set of files that had been made by mantis back when he was still active, they tone down the effects in general, but even more so in shooting so the stick doesn't go bananas on you when you press the trigger, yet you still have the control surface effects to help you in feeling how's your AoA, and stall cues.

http://mission4today.com/index...&file=details&id=324 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=324)

(Ignore where it says it doesn't work with default windows drivers, it DOES,just drop those files into your forcefeedback folder inside il2 and replace the files already there)

striker-85
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I use the MS FF 2 also, I really like it. However like many I hated the stick shaking while I was shooting. I had saw a post in here on how to fix that and it worked for me.

I went to the ForceFeedback folder in the game and renamed the following 2 files:

autocannon.ffe
machinegun.ffe

To:

autocannon.ffe.bak
machinegun.ffe.bak

No more FF for guns and cannon fire.

TS_Sancho
01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
I did the same as striker 85, no more jumpy aim.

vassilisukharev
01-13-2009, 10:35 PM
That fix for gun shaking worked, thanks guys. Now my (I think last) gripe is losing re-centering tension after alt-tabbing out of IL2 and back. Any way to fix it?

MS FFB2 impressions: moving from X52 (still using the throttle part), I've got big improvement in aiming accuracy and much more immersive experience overall. The feel of the stick is just great. FF makes it easier to do scissors while watching bogey on your 6 without stalling, and just overall flying becomes more intuitive.

PF_Coastie
01-14-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by vassilisukharev:
That fix for gun shaking worked, thanks guys. Now my (I think last) gripe is losing re-centering tension after alt-tabbing out of IL2 and back. Any way to fix it?

Yes, Don't Alt-Tab!

The game does not support alt-tab. It does work for some, but many have troubles, myself included. MSFFB does not play well with leaving the game.

Bearcat99
01-14-2009, 05:14 AM
I just turn it off in the sim and use the stick tension features alone.. since for me they are more important.. I Alt Tab too much..

Waldo.Pepper
01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I've got one of these in a box, but it is the gameport version. Is it worth my time to roger around with it?

Lt_Letum
01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
There is a program that used to come with the directx sdk called fedit.exe that can edit the force feedback effects in IL2.
It's not easy to find the program online, but not impossible either.

Or oyu can just delete the effects you don't like in il2dir/forcefeedback. Deleting the files you don't like has no side effects, but back them up in case you want them later.

Regarding the gameport sidewinder. I use one for IL2. Sometimes they don't work because modern gameports do not always give enough power to the device for windows to recognize it, but if you do get it going it is almost as good as the sidewindwer FFB2 USB stick and at a fraction of the price. I bought mine for 5 and a new soundcard to get a better gameport for another 2.50 (I only use the gameport on it, not the sound).
However, it does not work well with all games in XP. Especially, and ironically, microsoft's flight sims, but it is 100% fine with IL2.

major_setback
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by vassilisukharev:

Yes, there is a fix that works sometimes. Thanks to whoever posted this originally, I forget who you are (Xioloblue maybe).
This works best in online gaming and you lose tension in the stick:

Change aircraft (within the same online game if possible) start the mission and exit it again. Change aircraft again, start the mission once agin and exit again. Try again and Force Feedback should with a bit of luck have returned.

This even works sometimes offline, just try a quick mission game and then change the aircraft in that mission a couple of times and re-start briefly each time.

It's not a perfect fix, but worth trying as it can save a restart of the game; with loading of everything etc.

96th_Nightshifter
01-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I just turn it off in the sim and use the stick tension features alone.. since for me they are more important.. I Alt Tab too much..

Exactly what I do Mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

major_setback
01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by AFJ_rsm:
This is the main issue why people don't like forcefeedback in il2, and it's a VERY simple fix.

You don't even need native driver support under your operative system or profilers, or any sort of hardware related tweaks to do this. As long as forcefeedback works, even if you don't have any settings on your control panel to adjust them, il2's effects for shooting can be adjusted by modifying the files inside the ForceFeedback folder.

I recommend the following set of files that had been made by mantis back when he was still active, they tone down the effects in general, but even more so in shooting so the stick doesn't go bananas on you when you press the trigger, yet you still have the control surface effects to help you in feeling how's your AoA, and stall cues.

http://mission4today.com/index...&file=details&id=324 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=324)

(Ignore where it says it doesn't work with default windows drivers, it DOES,just drop those files into your forcefeedback folder inside il2 and replace the files already there)

Thanks.
This looks very useful..I actually chanaged my stick a while ago because of excessive forces...I have toyed with the idea of turning them off, but didn't wan't to lose any of the realism. Toning them down would be perfect!!