PDA

View Full Version : OPen GL or Direct X

Marw733
01-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Which Video Mode would you recommend to choose?

FA_Retro-Burn
01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
OpenGL is the only option for "perfect" terrain. The game was optimized for OpenGL and DirectX is a wrapper.

VW-IceFire
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Hands down the only real option is OpenGL. The IL-2 series game engine was written natively for use with OpenGL. If you want to enable the "perfect mode" landscape OpenGL is also the only option.

Direct3D is there as an alternative for people with video cards that don't support OpenGL or don't support it well. This is rare these days but its there. The Direct3D mode had a couple of bugs the last time I checked it out...I suspect they are still there but overall its fine to use but only if OGL doesn't work.

Marw733
01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Open GL it is then - thanks!

BaldieJr
01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
direct3d is microsofts monopoly at work. do not worship it.

Capt.LoneRanger
01-07-2008, 03:36 AM
A somewhat more neutral review:

In D3D textures are much smoother and flicker less on nVidia-graphic cards. You also have no microstutters and texture-errors (you can see this, when only typing > into the chat)

The texture problem with the flickering objects from greater distances is also gone and the clouds and Flak-Puffs that sometimes look red-brown at least on nVidias shows correct. The negative effect of the layered forest-textures on slower graphic-cards is also very much reduced.

You have a limited visibility range for clouds, though, and the landscape and water won't show in perfect mode, which basically reduces landscape-drawing in range and quality.

Rjel
01-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Make sure that in IL2 setup that the Texture Compression switch under the Video tab is set to off for Open GL. Until I found that one out I was really unhappy with IL2. The landscape looked great, but the A/C looked very blurred so I never played under Open GL for a very long time preferring the sharper image in DirectX.

K_Freddie
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Do OpenGL....

From its conception OpenGl has been musch superior that Dx for the simple reasons
1) OpenGL existed before Bill invented Dx
2) OpenGL has more bang for its programming API, thus the natural choice for progammers who need number crunching efficiency - errr Oleg yeah http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
3) OpenGL requires more inital work, compared to Bill's Dx where it's simpler...slower.. bloatware. But once youre passed the initial workload (like map making), it's plain sailing.

You get the idea...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif