PDA

View Full Version : Navigation issues for Full Real

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 11:31 AM
I have been trying to play VEF just lately and i am having difficulties with my navigation. I have found the maps included on the CD but i still have to get the protractor out and get all my bearings for flight waypoints.

What i would like to see, is next to the map brief screen, how about a list of waypoints something like

09:45 TAKEOFF FROM STALINGRAD AERODROME

09:55 500m Turn onto heading 330

10:15 2500m Turn onto heading 230

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

The most important feature here i think is the PRINT button so that the waypoint list can be printed directly out of FB brief screen.

So we have a complete list of waypoints and altitudes per mission plus a projected time of being there and at various points. This would be far more realistic than the current setup.

Also the map that you can view in flight, no matter what realism settings should ALWAYS show an indicated flight path no pilot would dream of getting airborn without marking his flight route on his leg map. Just like modern pilots.

Would this be at all possible to introduce into FB and would it be very easy. Also how popular would it be and who would use this feature? Your thoughts Gentlemen?

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 11:31 AM
I have been trying to play VEF just lately and i am having difficulties with my navigation. I have found the maps included on the CD but i still have to get the protractor out and get all my bearings for flight waypoints.

What i would like to see, is next to the map brief screen, how about a list of waypoints something like

09:45 TAKEOFF FROM STALINGRAD AERODROME

09:55 500m Turn onto heading 330

10:15 2500m Turn onto heading 230

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

The most important feature here i think is the PRINT button so that the waypoint list can be printed directly out of FB brief screen.

So we have a complete list of waypoints and altitudes per mission plus a projected time of being there and at various points. This would be far more realistic than the current setup.

Also the map that you can view in flight, no matter what realism settings should ALWAYS show an indicated flight path no pilot would dream of getting airborn without marking his flight route on his leg map. Just like modern pilots.

Would this be at all possible to introduce into FB and would it be very easy. Also how popular would it be and who would use this feature? Your thoughts Gentlemen?

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 11:36 AM
1. Print out the charts.
2. Coat them with plastic
3. Use water soluable marker to write waypoint and other info.
4. Make a ruler in map scale that shows time of travel at seve ral speeds.
5. Print out TAS table from CD.

And if with this setup you still have problems, I refuse to believe you. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I never use the ingame map anymore, it is much more comfortable to use the printed map.

-jippo

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 12:06 PM
thats great but it is very long lengths to go to, especially as they could very easily draw a little red line on the map in flight, and a printable list of waypoints would be way easier, with your method i still have to measure angles and such and then mark them down, then fly, plus they never give altitudes for waypoints in the brief.

This is a flight sim remember i mean what sort of lengths do u want to go to just to fly a mission?

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Fully agree!
I'm not going to ask to make this a top priority, but if it's not too hard I'd like to see these things implemented.

Classicaero wrote:
- I have been trying to play VEF just lately and i am
- having difficulties with my navigation. I have found
- the maps included on the CD but i still have to get
- the protractor out and get all my bearings for
- flight waypoints.
-
- What i would like to see, is next to the map brief
- screen, how about a list of waypoints something like
-
- 09:45 TAKEOFF FROM STALINGRAD AERODROME
-
- 09:55 500m Turn onto heading 330
-
- 10:15 2500m Turn onto heading 230
-
- bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
-
- The most important feature here i think is the PRINT
- button so that the waypoint list can be printed
- directly out of FB brief screen.
-
- So we have a complete list of waypoints and
- altitudes per mission plus a projected time of being
- there and at various points. This would be far more
- realistic than the current setup.
-
- Also the map that you can view in flight, no matter
- what realism settings should ALWAYS show an
- indicated flight path no pilot would dream of
- getting airborn without marking his flight route on
- his leg map. Just like modern pilots.
-
- Would this be at all possible to introduce into FB
- and would it be very easy. Also how popular would it
- be and who would use this feature? Your thoughts
- Gentlemen?
-
-

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Just look at the Briefing map. look where your waypoints pass through, and jot them down on a piece of Paper, your Flight altitude will be written down in the brief.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 02:26 PM
I use a small clear piece of plastic with compass numbers marked on it. I make note of the direction I need to fly in the briefing map and quickly calculate the waypoints on a piece of scratch paper. (When you get used to it it take zero time at all)

Then I fly. But here is a kind of bug/useful thing that will help you. NEVER open the in-game map unless you are totally lost. The first time you open it, it pops open to your current location. So, say you fly for 15-20 minutes, get into a dogfight and have to escape. Now you are way off where you think you should be, right? If you havent opened your map, you simply open it and you will know exactly where you are, and can plot a course to wherever you need to go.

If you fly in a squar, this is extremely handy. The leader can use the map from the start, and the wingmen can keep their maps closed. That way, is the group gets lost, the next guy can pop open his map and relay thegroup's position to everyone.

Just some helpful hints. It is of course very important to pick leaders with good navigation skills! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Maps with grid:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/neo3div/index.html

<p align="center">F16_Neo

http://members.lycos.co.uk/neo3div/images/F16vs.gif (http://www.f16vs.tk)

<A HREF="http://members.lycos.co.uk/neo3div/" TARGET=_blank>PrintMaps, GunCams, IAS/TAS for
Palm etc</A></p>

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 03:03 PM
more printable maps available here /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://www.wingwalkers.org/wwvtfw/maps.htm

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 03:16 PM
I guess going without all the aforementioned stuff has forced me to figure out my own method.

I look at the brief, make a mental note of the direction to and name of the target, then keep an eye out for landmarks that I see on my map. It also helps that for the most part in the 109, I can follow the directional compass for the waypoints. Sometimes my squadron will make a change to what is in the brief or in the mission and in that case the same applies with the exception of the directional compass.

Of course after a scrap you may be disoriented and want to get home. If I can't figure it out on my own or I'm in a bad way with battle damage, I just use the ultimate navigation cheat- I ask for a vector home (tab, 8, 2).

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Thats all well and good, but the issue of flight path on ingame map should be resolved. No matter what level of realism u realism junkies want to play to, a pilot will always plot his flightpath onto his flight map. He will also jot down Headings etc which could appear in note form on the ingame map, u know scribbled in the corner or something.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 03:49 PM
I totally agree with the flight plan path in ingame map of the preceding post (with no icons in full real)...Printable waypoints are not so importamt IMHO.

"See, Decide, Attack, Reverse or Coffee Break" E.H.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Classicaero, if you dont want to bother with the suggestions folks gave you then perhaps you should just fly in places with GPS on...this will I believe, add the wayponts to the map.

Fehler you sneaky man . I know another trick as well. If you are like me and plot your own course the adf will always point to your first waypoint (only works for LW planes and maybe p39?). This is usually enough to get you home...then again the vector to home seems to work these days.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Rummyrum, I already know about the suggestions others have made, it does'nt exactly take a genius to work them out, only i cant be bothered to play around with maps, pens and compass. I just want to take off fly my waypoints, frag some Krauts and go home. All with the help of my kneepad map with the flightpath clearly drawn and a few scribbled headings on the corner of the map. Job done.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 07:07 PM
There should be radio commands to get headings to the base you took off and to the enemy bases. especially in the russian ac and since thier radios were crap have the calls have alot of static, breakups and out of tune http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.freewebs.com/leadspitter/lead.txt
Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:45 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't come up before by all the full real conversations. I really hate bringing up the map to see if I'm heading to the proper waypoint. Even then, the map doesn't help one bit to determine what your altitude should be from wp to wp.

I agree. Something that gives wp headings and altitudes in the briefing (printable) would be great. Never would have to open the mini map then.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:59 PM
I assume you allready can navigate without the magical GPS icon on the map? if so, choose your own altitude and let landmarks guide your course.

No matter at what altitude you are, always be higher then your likely opponent.

LW tends to get really high-up (for FB) sometimes even at 6000m.

If your opponents are mostly Il-2's, don't bother to get much higher then 2000m.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)