PDA

View Full Version : Which is Better for a someone totally new to flight sim

sucka28
02-18-2005, 07:05 AM
WOuld enjoy Pacific Fighters more or IL-2.

I am totally new to flight and flight sim.

EURO_Snoopy
02-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Try the demo first IL2 demo (ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/games/il2sturmovik/demo/il2demov20.zip)

If you like that have a look through this site (http://www.airwarfare.com/) to learn about IL2 FB and PF, then you will be able to decide what you want

sucka28
02-18-2005, 07:17 AM
Is Pacific Fighters a stand alone game or an add-on to IL-2?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but Like i said im totally new to this

indylavi
02-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Depends on certain things like if you have a flight stick or not. You could get the IL2FB gold pack and a cheap stick for about $50. So you kill two birds with 1 stone there. You'll also get a lot more content with the Gold Pack than with just PF by itself. However, it really depends on what your interests are. I perfer the Eastern and Western front myself. Other perfer Naval Aircraft and the PTO. PF is a STAND ALONE sim. However if you do buy The Gold Pack along with Pacific Fighters you can merge them into one big game. But PF is a Stand Alone product

DeerHunterUK
02-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Can't argue with trying the demo 1st, if you enjoy it then I'd buy PF (and try to get IL-2 Forgotten Battles Gold pack to use the aircraft that that game has) that way you'll have no problems finding people to play with\against online.

sucka28
02-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Actually I have a flight stick (some logitech one that works well for me).

I have IL-2 and Ace Expansion pack. I don't have Pacific Fighters though.

I've had IL-2 for a few days, and find it pretty difficult. I suck at it. I've just been practcing with the custom "make your own" missions.

Thanks again.

sucka28
02-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Also im confused about If i wanted to get pacific fighters, is it a separate game or an expansion pack?

WOLFMondo
02-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Its both.

If you own IL2:Forgotten Battles and the Aces expansion pack its an addon. If you don't own those 2 its a standalone.

Its well worth getting all three, PF really compliments FB+Aces by adding planes that were used in the PTO as well as adding a totally new theatre.

indylavi
02-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Oh ok if you have FB and AEP then I'd get PF. Also lower the difficulty settings to something your comfortable with.

PF is a stand alone product. Meaning that it can be installed and played all by itself without any IL2 product.

However, the devs offered those with FB+AEP to install PF into a merged install with the older game. That way you can have all the IL2 content in one massive game. So even though it's a new stand alone game, you could play it with earlier IL2 products. Does that make sense? I know it can get a bit confusing

sucka28
02-18-2005, 07:35 AM
So i would install pac fighters over what i already have.

If i do it this way, would the game have all the improved graphics and stuff Pacific Fighters has?

thanks, people here are extremely patient and helpful.

indylavi
02-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Yep, PF will update the older FB engine to new graphical glory. Keep in mind it won't update the detail of some of the older plane models but the water, ground, sky, lights, smoke, etc.. will be brought up to what you see in the screen shots for PF. PS if you do buy it post in the forum that way we can give you the right patched to download http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skycat_2
02-18-2005, 07:40 AM
It's both a standalone and an expansion. It all depends on how you install it ... and you can install it both ways if you have the harddrive space.

My opinion is that you should stick with FB/AEP for now and see if it 'sticks' as an interest for you, unless you're either a fan of naval aviation (IE, gotta have those carrier landings) or you want to play online. PF is cool and adds some great features to the merged trilogy, but I think the real 'meat' is still in FB/AEP and there are a ton of downloadable campaigns and missions to keep you busy for a long time.

sucka28
02-18-2005, 07:48 AM
I am going to buy pacific fighters. I eventually want to play online when i learn the ins and outs.

If you could link to the appropriate patches that would be cool.

Also, what settings are most standard online so i get used to that.

Again, thanks for helping everyone.

indylavi
02-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Ok, once you put in your PF disc you will have two options.

Install as a Stand Alone or Install into FB+AEP

hit install into FB+AEP.

Then just install the game. You will need to download patch pf_303m.exe here http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php
make sure it has an M after it as that is the patch for the merged install. So if you see 3.03 and 3.03m, download them M

Then all you need is 3.04m. Get that one the same link above. Any problems just post

eddiemac0
02-18-2005, 08:09 AM
as a farily new player, I would suggest learning on full real. I developed a lot of bad habits I'm having to break now... I still keep externals on b/c they are pretty and I like to look at my plane, but in combat, I have teh discipilne not to use them. But Full Real, otherwise, is the best way to go...

sucka28
02-18-2005, 08:18 AM
As a fairly new player, how do you do online?

Can you kill anyone or are you just being shot down left and right?

What about against the AI?

EURO_Snoopy
02-18-2005, 08:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sucka28:
As a fairly new player, how do you do online?

Can you kill anyone or are you just being shot down left and right?

What about against the AI? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Installation and patching Guide (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm)

Most players use Hyperlobby to go online. yu can get it from here (http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/index.php?page=download)

Checkout our Guides Index (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm) for beginners flying advice.

eddiemac0
02-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Sucka,

As a new player online (last night was my first time funny enough), well, without a hatswitch, life is difficult. I've been playing since November, on average maybe 15 hours a week, two hours a day, something like that, and still have a lot to learn. Offline is much easier. The AI aren't predictable pe say, but they do things that you would expect, and you know where they are and will be. Online, I couldn't tell friend from foe, and rarely did I see my attacker before he opened up. I did not fire my guns last night due to the fact that I could not put an enemy in the sight. I have yet to make a kill online, but I've only got one hour on Hyperlobby, so, I'm not a fair gauge. You will get destroyed, by both AI and other players early on. But I can assure it gets much better. Kills (offline, as I'd know) are very satisfying and you feel like you deserve them, considering the amount of hours you put in learning to fly. I thought it would be easy to learn, and I was wrong. Now, I feel a minor sense of pride when I land successfully, and kills, only more so.

You've got your work cut out for you, but I assure its a blast, even in the learning stages.

Stiglr
02-18-2005, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't start with the demo because, then you'll have to deal with a totally different flight model than the rest of us are using, at a time when you need to learn a LOT of stuff to be competitive.

Get the full merged IL-2/PF if you can, and wade in.

Face it: for a LONG TIME, you're going to suck. You just are. This is a very difficult thing to learn.

But: you won't be bored as you learn the lessons. This is one hobby that gives back as much as it takes.

Start learning the lessons of basic flight maneuvers, then energy management, then situational awareness. If you can, fall in with some like-minded buddies online, with a squad that trains a lot or practices a lot. That can cut your learning time dramatically. But even then, you're in for a long, but FUN, ride.

indylavi
02-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Stiglr is right. It does take time. I've been playing IL2 since it came out and I'm still learning. However, it's something that you take to you to other Flight sim games. For instance, dog fighting tactics in IL2 are similar to dog fighting in a modern airplane as in Lock On. Just in Lock On you have missles. The basic concept and manuvers are similar. Once you learn them they are stuck there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Latico
02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I've been flying FB/AEP for a little less than a year. Online, I still suck as a fighter pilot, but as a SBD ground pounder I can reek havoc on the enemy. In DF rooms where we have ground objectives to complete I'm able to contribute to my side of the fight. And believe it or not I've even been able to score some air kills with the old crate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Bearcat99
02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
If you already have FB and Aces I suggest you just stick with them for a few more weeks. If they still hold your intrest then go on and get PF. Personally I look at this sim as one big 5CD 3 part sim.

ednew
02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Welcome the the wonderful world of IL2. It is a difficult sim. When I first got it, it took over a week before I could land and same for carrier landing with PF. For me rudder pedals made a BIG difference, not only did they make control of the aircraft easier, it really makes it more fun.

Treetop64
02-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Dude, trust us:
You better get good at flying against the computer with high difficulty settings before you even THINK about playing online. That is, if you want to avoid a lot of fustration and grief. That is only because the animals that fight online are GOOD at what they do.

I've been sent home with my tail between my legs more times than I care to remember...

"Treetop"

JunkoIfurita
02-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Online play WILL come to you slowly - it's slow enough for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

One thing I'd suggest, go online with a friend/wingman. This is a good idea ANYWAY, and it's closer to the real thing anyway, but its especially good to have someone watching your back while you've just started to hit all those full real servers and you're paranoid about not being able to see anyone before they get you. Some of my best (read, only) kills online have been when working in tandem with my wingman - he'll dive in on a boom and zoom, either miss or hit, then pull away, enticing him onto his tail. When they take the bait and chase him I'm there to cut him to shreds. A pilot who is set on getting a kill is much easier to shoot down than one who knows you're there and is evading. Not pretty but its true http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

----