PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft ID Distances for Icon Settings

KrasniyYastreb
05-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi guys, I would like your opinion on the following:

I am wondering what are good settings to use for multiplayer icons to mirror as closely as possible what real pilots could see and identify.
At what distance is it possibly to identify the plane type of a single engined a/c?
At what distance can one see markings on the plane?

Responses from actual pilots or historical references are particularly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bearcat99
05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
I dont know about that.. but ours are set pretty tight.... 1.0 for friendlies .8 for enemies..

WWSpinDry
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Here are some settings we frequently use:

mp_dotrange FOE DOT 10 COLOR .001 TYPE 1.5 NAME .5 ID 2 RANGE .7
mp_dotrange FRIENDLY DOT 10 COLOR .001 TYPE 2 NAME .5 ID 2 RANGE .7

DOT RANGE 10K both teams: The Basic IL2 config, if anything I would argue you can see a lot farther but this is a pretty well accepted range.

COLOR: .001: You will get no color at all basically. The primary reason is to minimize the highlighting of ground targets with padlock on. The secondary reason is to make it a bit harder to figure out which sides aircraft it is instead of the instant color visual cue. Lastly, some players get confused from time to time which color they are and just shoot the color they are used to going against (this is a very minor reason)

TYPE 1.5/2.0 I personally think this is a reasonable range to be able to identify what type of aircraft it is based on its outline as in real life, even when you consider many of these fighters are similar in size. As I personally work at an airport (on airplanes) and spend all day watching planes fly around I would call myself a pretty good judge as to what is reasonable in this case. Remember all military pilots would train continuously in aircraft recognition. The recognition distance is slightly longer for friendly aircraft as they are the most familiar to the viewer.

NAME .5 This also I feel is a valid distance to be able to differentiate between different enemy or friendly aircraft of the same type based upon their markings/color/type. This will aid in formation flying and dogfighting for both teams equally.

RANGE .7 This is a valid distance at which you can really start to judge the enemies actual distance from you. It also corresponds to your guns range, at which pilots spend much time estimating distances in training. This also gives the user who is looking through a 2 dimensional monitor some depth perception. When driving a car in real life you can instantly tell when a car in front of you has changed speed even a tiny bit, but in games this perception lags greatly because there is no real depth perception.

Note that many people opt to close down range (set to 0.001) because it's too exact and they like to have to gauge it by eye.

K_Freddie
05-15-2007, 01:43 PM
When I was much yooonger and had better eyesight, I could ID a small plane from about 15Km in perfect conditions. I'd say 5Km should be average.

In game we have Icons set at 300m for friendlies only. I personally don't like icons so switch the lot off on my PC.

If your creating a server set it to 1Km, as BC says, and bring it down until too many people complain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

crazyivan1970
05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Best setting for icons is no icons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

On the serious note... both friend and foe should be at the same distance. If you prefer icons on, i wouldnt go further then 1km, plane type, no color.

rnzoli
05-15-2007, 02:19 PM
in one of the FPSOLKOR interviews a pilot said the aircraft was unidentifiable until it came as close as 400m.... you know, that's firing range....

KrasniyYastreb
05-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Thx for the replies. I think I'm gonna go with SpinDry's settings for now, except identical for Foe and Friendly. It makes things a little easier without voice comms.

I flew in a game today where I consistently had 2-3km altitude advantage. Without icons I would have been diving down on friendlies the whole time.

BSS_Sniper
05-15-2007, 04:16 PM
I say NO icons. I have no problems ID'ing aircraft in here and I don't have the best system. ID's ruin the immersion for me. Turns it from a sim to arcade.

BSS_Sniper
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by KrasniyYastreb:
Thx for the replies. I think I'm gonna go with SpinDry's settings for now, except identical for Foe and Friendly. It makes things a little easier without voice comms.

I flew in a game today where I consistently had 2-3km altitude advantage. Without icons I would have been diving down on friendlies the whole time.

What do you think they had to do IRL? If you couldn't tell what it was you'd have to go in to ID it.

KrasniyYastreb
05-16-2007, 02:37 PM
If you have no prob IDing aircraft w/o icons, then good for you. However, I feel that what I can see on a 17'' screen @1024x768 is nowhere close to what one can see with one's own eyes. In addition communication online is often lacking and ppl don't know where the friendlies are.

For these reasons I think icons are beneficial. But this has been mulled over countless times, and I don't see a point in haing another icons vs. no icons thread.